cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walk around while Class C in motion?

knowmadically
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about getting a Class C motor home. Do most of you require that your passengers stay seated and buckled up? Or do you let your passengers walk around while the vehicle is in motion? What about children or babies? Do you have them in carseats?

Just curious what the general practice is among those of you with a Class C and what your thoughts on safety are. Also, are there legal requirements?
49 REPLIES 49

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
YZ wrote:
As a first responder, I would say it all depends on how much you like the person who is going to unbuckle and walk around in a moving vehicle...
There is a big difference in road conditions in different parts of the country.

Out here in the midwest you can travel for miles in wide open space with clear visibility of both sides of the road. The interstates have fences on both sides to keep the deer off the interstate. These factors all have to be considered whether it is safe to stand up or walk around. Probably the only unexpected driving correction would be a total tire failure.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Poodle_Power
Explorer
Explorer
we have a C. I almost never get up while we are moving. If we want something from the refrigerator I wait until we stop for a stoplight.

Our Daughter and her Husband have a large Class A. My Granddaughter is in her early 20's. She rides on the couch and didn't buckle up. She was sure nothing would happen. One day her Dad had to hit the brakes and the next thing she knew she was laying in the floor between the front seats. She now buckles up. She wasn't injured but she realizes she could have been.

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
As a first responder, I would say it all depends on how much you like the person who is going to unbuckle and walk around in a moving vehicle...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only DW and I are in the MH while in motion. She doesn't drive it, so I am always strapped in the drivers seat, and I don't set the cruise control so I can go to the bathroom. :B

DW stays strapped in unless there is a need, then she does not hesitate to get up and walk around. Bathroom, kitchen (she does bring me food and drinks). That is about it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Robocop
Explorer
Explorer
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. 32 years in law enforcement has provided me a plethora of negative examples when common sense or motor vehicle laws have been dismissed for personal convenience.
Scott

2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V toad

"Courage is the thing. All goes if courage goes."
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
After a friend used the bathroom in my rig while on the highway, he came out and said:"when you change lanes out here, you change lanes in there" It was pretty funny at the time. The only thing I don't allow is any one to be in the overhead bunk while traveling. (any child must be in proper seat and belted in)

Males and females must be seated when using the bathroom when the Motorhome is in motion. Our son has a hard enough time hitting the seat when the MH is not in motion!

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

knowmadically
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I'm buckled up at all times when my RV is moving. But then, I'm a single RVer. I've been told that setting the speed control doesn't also handle the steering. 🙂

Good to know, thanks...

😉

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Well said Gary! I couldn't agree more.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear wrote:
Is there a difference between standing up in a bus and doing the same in a motorhome?

Yep, there is. That was my job for 37 years. People standing in a bus are in a narrow passageway, surrounded by straps and or seatbacks. There is a bunch of stuff to restrict the passnegers flight path. The truth is, in the event of a serious braking or maneuver..the standing passenger nearest the front of the bus is gonna get hurt the worst. Everyone else kinda piles on.

There are countless studies..what happens to an object inside a moving vehicle when things go bad. Anyone standing up in a moving RV becomes a missle that is flying which ever direction the energy is pushing them. They are going the same rate of speed as the vehicle was was at time of 'event'. Being IN the bathroom, likely sitting down, is not the same as the standing/walking part. And let me assure you..no-one is going to be able to hold on, or grab on fast enough or be strong enough, to prevent that from happening. The very idea of someone using the stove while in motion is enough to make me barf. Imagine hot water in a pot, or a hot anything, being thrown about the inside while the 'event' is taking place.

You folks that allow this practise are playing with a loaded deck. How can I begin to say this...so effin stupid. How many times in a given period of time, have you seen a vehicle having to evade or make a sudden brake application. There is NO WAY you can prevent this from happening. It happens all of the time.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a difference between standing up in a bus and doing the same in a motorhome?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
'en Plain Air' wrote:
We met folks in a rental unit in Alaska last summer. They stopped short to avoid a moose. The passenger standing in the kitchen area hit the deck and required hospitalization for several days, wrecking what would otherwise have been a great trip.

Being a rental. I would say they have no clue about MH travel.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm buckled up at all times when my RV is moving. But then, I'm a single RVer. I've been told that setting the speed control doesn't also handle the steering. 🙂
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
We met folks in a rental unit in Alaska last summer. They stopped short to avoid a moose. The passenger standing in the kitchen area hit the deck and required hospitalization for several days, wrecking what would otherwise have been a great trip.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
DW has weak bladder. So she is on the move. Knows too crab hold of things When moving around.
I usually tell her I am turning or stopping. When she heads to the Head.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone's common sense is a little different.

We buckle up when seated but use the facilities when needed and when traffic and road conditions permit. That is one of a number of reasons why we purchased a motorhome. Makes travel more comfortable and enjoyable. Also We don't push the speed limit and stop to take a break ever 2 hours or so.

As driver you are responsible and need to feel comfortable with your decisions and the safety of your environment inside and outside the motorhome.