cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washngton DC Campground

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody have suggestions on a campground within decent amount of driving to view White house state park would be our first choice, we would like to visit battlefields & monuments besides touring the white house-Thanks Rich
20 REPLIES 20

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Cherry Hill. Nice park. The girl at the front desk was young and new and didn't know that my site was near the highway in the back or I would have chose another site, oh well. I have a 5th wheel so I drove my truck to the subway station a few miles away and parked and took the train into town. Then took the Red Bus around town getting on and off at will. Cherry Hill has a bus stop right at the entrance to the campground if you want to take the bus into town but I found the subway to be faster.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cherry Hill Park.
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
We have an RV, but our trip at the end of Sept we flew and stayed at a motel just 1 to 2 miles from Mt Vernon. What we did, even though we had a rental, was one day we took the Metro into town and visited the Holocaust Museum. The next day, we hired Brian, with Bipartisan Tours, to take us down town to see all of the monuments, library of congress, embassy row and other sites in Alexandria and Georgetown. He picked us up at 8:30 in the am at our motel and dropped us off at 6pm. Cost per person was $85 per person. Even if we had taken the Metro, many of the sites are too far apart to get to on foot. He drove us up, let us off, parked the van, 11 passenger and we only had 7 people and then told us history about the site we were visiting. Well worth the money spent and an excellent guide.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
Greenbelt Park is a federal park very close to DC and metro. Dry camping, but they do have water and a dump station. Lovely wooded sites. Also less than a third of the price of Cherry Hill.
I stood here when visiting. They did have a tick issue when I was there. But I would stay there again.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Cherry Hill. It had nice wooded sites toward the rear of the park. It's right in town and there are all kinds of stores within a mile or two. We drove to the subway parking structure, about two miles away and took the subway into DC. It worked out really well.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
When we were at Cherry Hill, I needed propane. They came to sight and filled my tanks while we were out sight seeing. We liked the place.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill, bus to Metro.....think it took all of 10 minutes!
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Seneca_35GS
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at the Elk's club across the river and a few short blocks from the Metro. Of course you have to be a Elk.

Another vote for Cherry Hill Park..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Antietam is in the area as well. I here that parking in DC isn't bad on weekends in the winter but haven't tested that theory. Mass transit does scale back on weekend.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
When we were there if you had a dog they had a dog walking service.

When we were there spring of 2014 they still did.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we were there if you had a dog they had a dog walking service.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was there this summer again. I have to recommend Cherry Hill for all the DC attractions. Easy access to the Metro and they have a lady who does promotions/sells different tours and teaches you how to get around on the Metro line. With her checking my plan we went all the way to Arlington National Cemetery on the Metro.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Greenbelt Park is a federal park very close to DC and metro. Dry camping, but they do have water and a dump station. Lovely wooded sites. Also less than a third of the price of Cherry Hill.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road