Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watching someone backup with a toad attached

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
Relevant to the recent (closed) post on backing up with a toad attached:
clicky

We observed someone doing just that today, and it was rather horrifying! The fellow was leaving the campground and stopped on his way out to dump off his trash. Unfortunately, he pulled into the 'In' lane, rather than the 'Out', and after realizing that and stopping, he just parked and completed his mission. Then, we watched to see how he'd get out of the predicament, one where he had a too sharp right-hand turn to get properly oriented to leave. What he did caught us by surprise:

He backed up, with no one in his toad. For about half the distance he had to back up, everything was OK, but then the front wheels of the toad began to pivot. Very quickly, they pivoted to the max, began to skid, then the whole toad was skidding, 4 wheels down! He finished backing up, made his turn and left -- the whole thing happened too quickly to run out to alert him as to what was happening.

Hopefully, he made it to his destination safely ... It's hard to imagine the stresses on his tow apparatus and the chassis of his toad when the whole vehicle was skidding across the pavement!
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE
26 REPLIES 26

viajante
Explorer
Explorer
Won't backing with the tow attached damage the tow bar ? When my tow bar was first installed, I was told that backing would damage the tow bar.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
It can be done but very, VERY slowly and once the toad steering wheel starts to move you've gone as far as you can and it's time to unhook.

X2...this is the real answer in almost every case. Know when to stop, and don't go any further!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be done but very, VERY slowly and once the toad steering wheel starts to move you've gone as far as you can and it's time to unhook.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Dachristianman wrote:
See, it can be done. ๐Ÿ˜•

Tom

Tom, I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done but most people don't have the skill that you do.

I might consider rolling straight back for a very short distance but I don't have the talent of any serious backing-up and really don't want to risk the damage that 'might' happen.

To each his own as they say.

Safe travels,
MM.

I was saying this tongue-in-cheek. If anyone is crazy enough not to have a spotter and risk this sort of damage to their rig, toad, tow system, they deserve whatever happens. On the other thread, the OP had asked if it could be done, and this post answered that question, although in an "anything is possible" type way.

Tom

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:

Tom

Tom, I don't think anyone is saying it can't be done but most people don't have the skill that you do.

I might consider rolling straight back for a very short distance but I don't have the talent of any serious backing-up and really don't want to risk the damage that 'might' happen.

To each his own as they say.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I had to do this one time in the line for a Flying J..I was straight and toad and was straight..I had to back up just a few feet so I could get over...inched back about 10 feet and I was fine...Only time I ever did it or will do it because I was totally straight..watched toad the whole time.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

vance
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that I watched anyone back up with the toad hooked up, he left the steering locked (by leaving the key in the off position)and it worked quite well. Once he got to where he needed to be, he unlocked the steering and away he went.
vance
2007 Coachman Encore
330 HP Mercedes
Honda CRV toad
"If you see our children, PLEASE don't tell them where we are"

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Surely he was informed prior to that not to reverse. Chose to anyway.

People of that sort don't respond well to information so I would probably not intervene.

And maybe he read on the internet it's OK to do that.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
DH has backed our jeep from 3 to 5 feet on two or three occasions...verrrrry slowly and watching the wheels of the jeep all the time. But only when the wheels were pointing straight ahead already and we just backed straight up.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Dachristianman wrote:

Tom

Yeah, the guy just went twice as far as he should have.

Had he stopped, straightened out, and resumed, it may have worked the entire way...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer

Tom

fullautodave
Explorer
Explorer
I have backed up my 38ft fiver with my Jeep behind it on a couple of occasions. Just have my wife get in Jeep and start engine and hold steering wheel so the front end won't pivot. Don't try it without power steering on.
2009 Mobile Suites TKSB3
2008 Ford F-450 Superduty
2009 Jeep Rubicon toad
1999 Bigfoot C1011FR