cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
OK I need some help with the electric and propane switch . Where do I start to check why the switch doesn't light up. First of all the electric water heater is working just fine except for the light. The propane water heater is not.
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
14 REPLIES 14

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

It's always good to hear the solution to a problem on here.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
OK tried the WH and it's working yeah!
The electric switch does not light up so that will be replaced
THANKS TO YOU GUYS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT
Richard
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Removed the panel and found purple wire disconnected from the propane switch and now that light is working. Would that keep WH from lighting up on propane?
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
roachcoach wrote:
OK I need some help with the electric and propane switch . Where do I start to check why the switch doesn't light up. First of all the electric water heater is working just fine except for the light. The propane water heater is not.

My electric on switch does light up this is separate from propane fault light. If electric is working then its the switch or Jumper wire is off
2009 Challenger

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
My switch light for the electric water heater burns out every couple years.

Here is a copy of my notes when I had to order new switches.

SIGMA SWITCHES
4703 WYLAND DRIVE
ELKHART IN 46514

800-488-9505
=======================================================
ROCKY AT SIGMA 1/29/07 will ship tuesday. ups free
A1-31 SWITCH FOR WATER HEATER, BLACK PLASTIC, RED LITE 3 EACH
ZU-12-14 WHITE PLASTIC, RED LIGHT 3 EACH
ZU-03-14 BLACK PLASTIC, RED LITE 3 EACH

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your WH uses just one set of t-stats for both electric & propane heat control, uses the same DC fused power for both so if it works on electric OK but doesn't fire on propane then it is isolated to just the propane components.

That could be faulty Propane On/OFF switch
Could be the Spark Electrode or the firing circuit on control board

Need to test/check that you have 12V DC FROM the Propane On/Off Switch with switch on.........you have 12V DC to the switches cause electric & propane use same fused source.

VS pulling switch panel you can test/check for the 12V DC on ORANGE wire at connector on control board (outside compartment)

With 12V DC to/thru On/Off switch and to control board it then comes out on Brown wire thru a 'thermal fuse' to/thru Normal t-stat back to board on Brown wire.
Then out of control board on Red wire to/thru ECO to gas valve solenoids. (SAME CIRCUIT WHEN USING ELECTRIC)

Only difference on propane is when it comes out on Red wire to/thru ECO the Spark Electrode should be Firing (strong, loud spark----click,click,click)
No sparking then electrode could be bad, could have wrong spark gap (1/8"), high voltage wire from transformer on control board to spark electrode is bad or not making good connection OR the gas firing circuit on control board is bad.

It ALL has to do with getting a SPARK

Trace the 12V DC using a meter.....find where it stops

Wanna check whether FAULT light comes on......
With Electric ON go pull RED wire off of ECO.
Fault light DC power comes from control board on Blue wire
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
GPWayne wrote:
As you said the electric water heater is working just fine except for the light.
The bulb in the switch is burned out...This is very common. Easy fix, replace the switch.

The propane water heater should not start if the tank is full off hot water,,,,, heated by the electric heater element.

OK I'll replace the switch should be an ez job.
Today I run all the hot water out until it was running cold and had left the propane switch on for the WH to light up but never did.
With a air gun I blew all the inside of the WH with air nozzle, checked the fuses but still wouldn't light. Any ideas on what to check next?
Thanks
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
As you said the electric water heater is working just fine except for the light.
The bulb in the switch is burned out...This is very common. Easy fix, replace the switch.

The propane water heater should not start if the tank is full off hot water,,,,, heated by the electric heater element.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
roachcoach wrote:
GCH10A-4E Atwood

GAS Combo Heat Exchanger 10gallon AScrew in Element 4th version Electronic ignition

Fault Light

Propane fails to light off/WH locks out

OR

ECO (HI Temp T-stat) Opens (180*F) because Normal T-stat failed to open (140*F)
When On electric or propane.......any time it opens

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
GCH10A-4E Atwood
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Which WH you have depends on how light is wired

Light is a 'FAULT' light

Comes on if:
Propane fails to light off and PROVE it lit.
Usually 3 tries to light & prove then WH locks out and fault light comes on.
(ATWOOD & SUBURBAN BRANDS)

Fault light can also be illuminated if HIGH Temp T-stat opens/trips either on electric or propane (ATWOOD BRAND)

Light can also come on initially when propane 1st turned on and then goes out when flame lights & proves........will then come back on if fault happens (SUBURBAN BRAND)

Both electric or propane will only come back on after water temp has cooled below 110*F (ATWOOD) or 100*F (SUBURBAN)

Fault Light when illuminated (and lock out of WH) has to be reset by turning ON/OFF Switch OFF then back ON

Which BRAND & MODEL do you have?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
That depends. On my Monaco coach, when I turn on the Propane 12 volt WH switch, it lights up to let me know that the WH is powered.
When I switch to 120 volt, that switch lights up to let me know I am using 120 volt power to heat the water.
Since I can have either one or both switches turned on, depending on how quickly I want to heat my water, it is nice to have the lights in the switch work.
There may be some way to change just the bulb in my switches but when mine failed, I just replaced the entire switch, which was pretty easy since all of the wires just plugged in to the connectors.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ranger Smith wrote:
It is NOT supposed to light up. It will only come on if it does NOT ignite on propane. To check on propane turn off the electric heater for a day and then turn on propane only and it should ignite.

Correct. If the water is hot it will take a while to cool down so the propane comes on. If you want to check it faster, run some hot water out at a faucet, until the propane comes on. If it won't come on, there are multiple things to check, search on this forum for troubleshooting info.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
It is NOT supposed to light up. It will only come on if it does NOT ignite on propane. To check on propane turn off the electric heater for a day and then turn on propane only and it should ignite.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie