cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Did You Do To Your Class B Today ?

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I see the other types of RV's having this type of thread. I did a search and could not find one here. 🙂

Yesterday, I drove mine to work to "excercise" it. I have driven it to work twice in the two weeks I have owned it.

In the two years I owned my Class C, I drove it to work ZERO times. :E
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds
1,574 REPLIES 1,574

Bailey_Travis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still looking at mine on the internet today! Haven't bot one yet but getting closer. I do enjoy reading your posts!!

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
stan909
You are quite a sophisticated battery manager. Here I am with one 90ah battery at the back,under the mat in our PW Plateau TS. Maybe I should have a solar panel installed because that poor battery only manages the inside lights when dry camping, for one night! The generator does a decent job of recharging it but the truck alternator does better. Happy camping.
AL
enjoying California temperatures here on Vancouver Island(currently)

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I installed another Optima blue top AGM deep cycle battery bringing my total to 3 for a total of 165 amp hours. This ought to get me through a complete night running my auxillary freezer . As it stands now the freezers electronics only let it run til about 5 am. AGMs should not be allowed to be run all the way down so the circuitry is helpfull. My 155 watt solar panel will power it all day and charge the batteries. Often the controller even stops the charge to prevent battery over charge so all that sun time was wasted with not enough storage.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced all engine belts, fixed both electric windows, repaired roof air, replaced some running light bulbs, a little body work, fixed some electrical problems, removed inverter, removed catalytic heater, and hot water heater. All for under $200, you gotta love Mexico. Should be good for the rest of my 2,500 mile trip.

fugawibill
Explorer
Explorer
Rotated the tires, all the way from Mazatlan to Lake Santa Maria del Oro, Mexico, about 175 miles.

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
Being a little complacent about having practically NO mosquitoes where we go camping usually on Vancouver Island we were brought back to our (practical) senses yesterday when we tired of the wasp 'time of year' problem with lots of them getting into everywhere including the PW. Shirley bought a lined mess window curtain at Wallmart's for 8 bucks. We slid the top end over a narrow expansion rod,installed just above the door frame where there is a ledge for little things and let the curtain fall down and out to cover the sliding door opening, putting a clothes peg on each side.Could use a couple of weights on the bottom to stretch out the material. No more wasps. Maybe crude but it works until my favourite seamstress gets the actual screen door finished.
PS I like Davydd's reflector panels.

mepboat
Explorer
Explorer
We put in a remote sensor in our PW Excel and we can monitor the temp inside our home. It got up into the 90's so I went out and opened up the fantastic fan and side windows to exchange some air. We also have covered the inside of the windows with the silver bubble sheets which we purchased from Lowes,(best price). To adhere to the windows we overlapped the metal frame when we cut the size and put a strip of magnetic tape we bought at Wal-Mart along that edge. After some high heat some of the magnetic tape came loose and we had to use super glue to restick it onto the covers. It now works great to keep them in place. Used a sharpie to label each one for ease in re-installation. We have scheduled a trip to Key West for fantasy fest in Oct. and will be staying at Boyds again. Great place and great location. The excitement is already building !!!!! WE love our "B class MH......."B safe", "B happy" Go RVing !!!

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
During the day we have the side screen door and the back screen door which keeps the B from overheating. We just leave the B open that way in the campground. I put these in mainly to block light at night since we really don't go southwest or south unless it is spring, fall or winter.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Davydd,

We did essentially the same thing for our PW Lexor, but ...

Experimenting a bit where it's hotter than - well, you know - we learned that if we put them on the inside only, as you have done, they do keep it dark, and do cool things off somewhat inside. But, if we also add them to the outside of the window, then, wow, it's cool as a cucumber inside almost no matter what it's doing outside.

I think it's something about keeping the glass cool.

So, for us, it's one set for the inside, and another set for the outside. All are cut to size. I keep a roll of blue painter's tape aboard to "attach" the outside ones. If it's raining, well, then we don't need them. If it's windy as the dickens, then it's just more tape. Needless to say, we only use the "outside" ones when we're parked.

Been doing this for a couple of years now and have never had to replace any of them. We don't leave home without 'em.

JMHE.

Cheers.

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
We bought two rolls of Aluminum Bubble Foil Insulation and cut them to fit our back windows and back side windows above the vents. I used 2 ft. wide yellow trace paper to place against the window and trace the outline with a pencil to make a template. Cut the tracing paper, recheck accuracy at window, lay over the foil and use a Sharpie pen to to mark the edges. Then cut the foil with scissors at the edge of the pen marks. The fit is so precise that it friction fits nicely but I think I will add some Velcro tabs.

One 10 foot roll was good for the two rear windows and one side window. I needed another roll for the second side window (39" long) and may use the remainder for the windshield.

Now we are ready for the desert Southwest heat and Walmart overnights under the glaring lights. 🙂

Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Barbara, Like said above, WD-40 won't last any time at all. Get some of the white lithium grease as suggested, but don't overdo it as it'll draw a lot of dirt.
I suggest also some battery terminal spray coating from an auto parts store for the terminals after install.
And another suggestion, unless you guys done for the season, go get a new battery, especially if that is the original battery. Deep cycle is what you want.
Suggest WalMart for the freshest battery
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
ChiMom wrote:
I am a bad RV mother. I neglected my one coach battery for years. Just looked at it the other day and the battery + slideout tray had tons of corrosion stuff all over. Today I put my big girl panties on and got out the baking soda, wrenchs, clean cloths, wire brush, tooth brush, garden hose and miscellaneous tools that might come in handy (like a hammer to knock myself out).

Much to my surprise, I was able to remove about 99% of the white stuff, remove the battery without electrocuting myself, WD40 the sliding tray, and put all the cables back on without losing any wing nuts or anything. Now I really don't know if the battery works yet, but after getting some distilled water tomorrow I'll give it a try. Heck, I feel like now I can just buy a new battery and install it myself! The End.

ChiMom,

I'd suggest some white lithium grease to lube the tray glides, rather than WD40. It'll last a lot longer.

It's available in a tube, as a "stick", or in a spray can. My preference is in the order listed.

Cheers.

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
I am a bad RV mother. I neglected my one coach battery for years. Just looked at it the other day and the battery + slideout tray had tons of corrosion stuff all over. Today I put my big girl panties on and got out the baking soda, wrenchs, clean cloths, wire brush, tooth brush, garden hose and miscellaneous tools that might come in handy (like a hammer to knock myself out).

Much to my surprise, I was able to remove about 99% of the white stuff, remove the battery without electrocuting myself, WD40 the sliding tray, and put all the cables back on without losing any wing nuts or anything. Now I really don't know if the battery works yet, but after getting some distilled water tomorrow I'll give it a try. Heck, I feel like now I can just buy a new battery and install it myself! The End.
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

Explorer
Explorer
Today I fixed the water filter on the water pump. Yesterday I fixed a leaking city water fill. Both now done, I have avoided a trip to service and am ready for my next trip! This week has been a good week for my Class B!
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Fastpaddler
Explorer
Explorer
I dropped the hookups:water hose,cable wire,unhooked sewer pipe and left them at the RV site but I took in the power cable(which is pricey). We went shopping or rather my wife went shopping and came back in the evening and re-hooked everything in about 5 mins. Wouldnt do that at a provincial or state park though.
2. My RV neighbours thought it was neat and quick but they had promised to keep an eye out not that I was concerned.
3. Only downside was cost of shopping.

AL