cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you DIY'ers use to jack and secure your rig?

Maladjusted
Explorer
Explorer
So.. I get the issues associated with working under your coach.

But, I am mechanically able and do all the maint on my 3 vehicles.

What do you guys use to secure your rigs up when working under for oil change or routine maintenace?

links?

Thanks!
Mala-thisRVthingrocks!-djusted
16 REPLIES 16

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
If I needed to raise my motorhome when I had I used a 3 ton mechanics jack and placed 6 ton jack stands where needed. I would not crawl under a motorhome that was raised in the air without being supported by the proper size jack stands.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I am like Fireup. I am not an over weight person, so there is plenty of room under the rear of the coach for me to change the oil. I lift the rear a few inches with the Quadra bigfoot levelers, but not enough where the wheels will get in the air. Even if the levelers were to fail which I doubt there is plenty of room where a person could still be safe working under the coach.

Now the front is a different story to service the generator. My generator is on a electric slide, so it makes it easy to service.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
George Beggs wrote:
There is plenty of room under there.

Not under mine!
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

TEO
Explorer
Explorer
I have enough 2x12 x 2 ft boards to get the motorhome high enough for most work. If the tires have to be off the ground, I have a 20 ton bottle jack and a set of truck jacks.

Paul

Paul & Helen

2002 Winnebago Journey DL:)
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad :C
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco :B, and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.:B
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have leveling jacks, ramps, or a pit. I just crawl under the motorhome and do what ever needs to be done. Oil change, lube job, replace the shocks, etc.
There is plenty of room under there.
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
Everyone's got their opinion on whether or not to climb under a rig that's only being supported by it's own leveling jacks. I've done it for years. Yep, I know, you're trusting all the hydraulics of the jack system. It's a personal preference thing for me. I do use two, 4" x 14" x 14" blocks under each jack though. I place the blocks under jack pads, which are only about an inch away, then I release the air in the bags. The rig will drop automatically down on to the blocks.

From that point on, there's enough extension in the jacks to raise all six tires off the ground. I can then do what whatever work's needed, brake inspections, wheel polishing, oil changing, trans oil changing (although since the introduction of Transynd, no need for another 95K miles, yahoo), and more. Someday I'll get some large Jack stands for use under there. But, until then, it's as stable as a rock and, level as possible.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of 20 ton house jacks that I use if I'm out on the road. At my house I have a bridge built from RR ties out over a pit. My advice would be to bolt several layers of 2X10s together to make ramps. Not a bad thing to have with you anyway incase you need to do severe leveling.
IRV2

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
aztortuga wrote:
Harbor freight "heavy duty" jack stands.

x2 after running the rig up on 2 x 10 4" ramps
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
For changing oil and anything quick and easy underneath, I roll the MH up onto some wooden blocks, both front and back so that it sits level in the street. With the Fumoto valve and the truck size oil pan that rolls underneath, I can drain the oil and replace the filter in less than 10 minutes....than I just add the fresh oil on top. Anything major, I use 20 ton Hydraulic jacks(x2) and truck Jack stands.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

aztortuga
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor freight "heavy duty" jack stands.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I use Rhino ramps rather than jacks. They seems more secure to me. I don't have air though so I don't know how that would affect the use of ramps.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
What I use

We use these in a 20 ton version. We lift the bus with the air levelers, reach under, keeping all body parts except one arm from under the coach, and slide these under the jack points. Once in place, we screw the jacks up manually until firmly loaded.

And yes, we use them under the Sprinter also. Air suspension will kill you in case of the Prevost, but a 12,000 lb Winnebago will kill you also.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put the coach on some blocks and attach a hose from my air compressor into the coach air fitting. Due to the shape of my pad that allows me enough room to get underneath.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/safety-when-working-down-under-161745.html
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.