Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened to Handbasket

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
What happened to Handbasket?
He used to post in the Class B forum.
He had a Tiger RV and I always enjoyed his posts.
My goal is to eventually get a Tiger.
12 REPLIES 12

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
I rented that Tiger RV in Colorado last year to try it out. I rented it for 4 days. I was sure I wanted one and it was an eye opening experience.

I remember the first time I saw it, I was surprised at how big it was. It is much closer to a typical Class C than a Class B, especially in height. Compared to Class B's, it seemed huge. I thought it was built fairly well but not great. I remember that some of the cabinet doors didn't close very well anymore, etc.. The floor plan on the inside is great. It seemed very roomy and open from the inside. The bathroom and shower was awesome. The regular mattress on the top bed is very comfortable but I quickly tired of climbing the ladder. You have to be pretty agile to use it. My wife wouldn't use the top bed. The pass-thru to the cab was a great asset although you have to be pretty flexible to use it. The height of the pass thru is pretty low. I liked the clearance of the truck on some of the beat-up mountain roads I traveled. I never used 4 wheel drive but it was nice to know that it was there.

There were several things I didn't like. It was probably the worst driving vehicle I have ever driven. On dirt roads, I thought I was going to chip all my teeth from the bouncing. It is a heavy duty pickup loaded down with a very heavy load. Maybe it would have improved with some airbags and suspension upgrades. I remember getting passed on the dirt roads by small SUV's (Toyota RAV4, etc.) because I could only drive 20 mph without wearing a helmet to protect my head and to keep the dishes in the cabinets. The SUV's were driving 40 mph. It was a little better on blacktop but nothing like most Class B vans. It was difficult to park compared to many Class B's because of pretty poor visibility on the passenger side.The stealth factor was very low.

I would strongly encourage anyone interested in one to rent one for a couple days. The rental owners in Denver are great guys. For me, it was the best money I ever spent.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
paddykernahan wrote:
Yes I know the Tiger is a class C.
Notice I didn't say it was a class B.
I guess I should have posted (I have convinced myself that I want a class C Tiger rather than any other Class B).:-)
No, you should have just left out the bold and underlined word above. ๐Ÿ™‚
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
paddykernahan wrote:

I have convinced myself that I want a Tiger rather than any other Class B.

The Tiger is a Class C and is built on a pickup truck chassis; you can go from coach into cab without going outside. Class B's are built inside a van body.

Yes I know the Tiger is a class C.
Notice I didn't say it was a class B.
I guess I should have posted (I have convinced myself that I want a class C Tiger rather than any other Class B).:-)

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I no longer have a Class B so, like many former owners, don't feel very welcome on this forum.

Only speaking for myself, but I'm happy to hear from anyone with an interest in or knowledge of Class B's. More is better, IMHO.
2013 RT 190-Popular

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I miss handbasket. Jim was a great source of information and very well informed. He really helped me out over many years.

I no longer have a Class B so, like many former owners, don't feel very welcome on this forum. I am probably not the only one. I occasionally post, but mostly stay on other forums. I have had four Bs and three Cs over the years, do all the RV maintenance and repair stuff myself on all my rigs. I would like to think all those years of B experience could help someone, but there are some real sticklers on this forum.

I got tired of hearing anyone casually asking a question that did not have a true Class B being treated like a commie or something. WOW. Some of these old goats (and I am one) have a kindness problem.

Read the posts on this B forum in the thread titled "House batteries not charging -- Road Trek" immediately below this thread and you will see what I mean.

I have been wanting to say this for a long time and I am sure some posters will be offended. Some posters are pretty offensive to anyone with any manners.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
paddykernahan wrote:

The Tiger is a Class C and is built on a pickup truck chassis; you can go from coach into cab without going outside. Class B's are built inside a van body.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
It has been 3 years since he posted. I heard that he was having some health issues. I miss his posts. I loved the little comments that he always ended his posts with...
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
I've wondered about Handbasket also. His Tiger and mine are nearly twins and I have gotten good answers to various Tiger issues from him.

Paddykernahan, you are welcome to PM me if you have Tiger questions.

Thanks Tiger4x4,

My sister-in-law lives about 2.5 hours from the factory.
I told the wife unit the next time we visit we are going to Tiger RV.

I have to see one first though I feel I am already sold.

We are planning on driving to the Pacific Northwest this fall and I found a tiger to rent I think in Colorado but it is for $350/day.

Guess I will stick to the pop-up for now.

Yes Handbasket had a lot of good information.
Most of the time I would come to this site and do a search on handbasket and read all of his recent posts.
Hope he is OK.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've wondered about Handbasket also. His Tiger and mine are nearly twins and I have gotten good answers to various Tiger issues from him.

Paddykernahan, you are welcome to PM me if you have Tiger questions.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
There is a member who's screen name I think is Tiger4x4. He posts in the Truck Campers section often. Should be able to find him there.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I have wondered about him myself. I sent him a PM.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
There are several that are no longer posting. I also miss their words of wisdom or their humor even though I don't know them personally. Sad....
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.