cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is "Tow/Haul" ?

donnyB7
Explorer
Explorer
My gas class A has automatic trans, and on the shift lever is a button on the end. It is labeled tow/haul. What does this do?
10 REPLIES 10

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it helps raise the shift points so you aren't "lugging" uphill.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tweetybird2
Explorer
Explorer
So do you use this toy/hall for going up a steep grade as well.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
On my pickup, the tow haul was awesome. When engaged, when you tapped the brakes on a descent it would downshift, whereas it didn't do that when not engaged. As stated, it shifts at higher points. If I remember right, it also worked in harmony with the integrated brake controller for a towed trailer, but not sure if MHs have that.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are "hauling" a big heavy coach around all the time, just put it in tow/haul and leave it there.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Works very well with the cruise control and holding speeds descending grades.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow/Haul is your friend. Use it going up and down and even sometimes on level ground.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
As with the above posts, it also works very well in mountain areas by helping keep speed down while descending!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tow Haul Explained...LINK

Probably lots of info in your manual also...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow/haul generalle electronically alters transmission shift points. Meaning it also firms up the shifts. All designed to help keep the transmission cool when working hard.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
donnyB7 wrote:
My gas class A has automatic trans, and on the shift lever is a button on the end. It is labeled tow/haul. What does this do?

In general, it changes the shift points in the TCM (transmission control unit). Some transmissions do additional things but in general that is it. The TCM delays upshifts and more aggressively downshifts when in tow haul mode. The idea is to keep the engine in peak power band longer rather than upshift and lose torque and power.
FMCA member