cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did you go the 'full-timing' route...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I recently posted a request for comments from those who believe full-timing is not for them and many great replies resulted. Now, it seems we need to give the other side an opportunity to tell us why they chose to go full-timing, problems encountered (if any) and would they do it all over again. / Larry
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
13 REPLIES 13

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We were 'downsized' from our jobs while in our 50's. Luckily we had been savers so there was no real need to look for other jobs...so we bought a 27' travel trailer instead.

We took off for four months in Florida. While there we met many happer full-timers. We had never heard the word back then. On our long drive home to Michigan I said "We were gone all that time and never missed anything in that house. Let's sell and go full-time". We sold everything during the summer and took off in our new lifestyle not having any plans, and no computer, no cell phone back then.

We didn't have any time-length thoughts and definitely no ending thoughts. We didn't store anything. We just headed West. We joined the Escapees RV Club which was the best thing we did for preparation. We've met many lifelong friends though the Club.

We full-timed for 16 years without one regret. We have now bought a small townhouse in an state we never dreamed of living. Our friends from Escapees and full-timing together, 22 couples, have bought in the same 55+ very active community. We have a very good support system. We are truly happy we did what we did.

We also did a lot of volunteering for national and state parks and Fish and Wildlife. It gave us a good feeling to help out in places we enjoy visiting and it gave us purpose. We had many good experiences in our constant travels and our grandchildren had a big part in lives - traveling with us or visiting us or we visiting them for big chunks of time. We were there for all their 'big' moments in school and sports. Now as they are older, they are envious of all we were able to do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
The only question you should ask yourself is:
"Why Not"

Nothing we tell you will be enough for you to make your own. So I ask you -

"Why Not"
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
After having spent most of our adult lives working, with some vacations. We wanted to make the most of our retirement (did retire a few years early) and wanted to travel as much as possible.
Since we don't know how many years we have we wanted to make the most of it. Our goal and hope is to get 10 good years, before we want to or have to quit.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Started camping in the backyard when I was 10-11 under and old smelly tarp draped over the clothesline. Graduated to Boy Scout camping weekends and summer camp. Brought my first Sears tent when I was 16 one of my buddies aunt lived on a lake up in Wisconsin. After high school we traveled all the Midwest and out to Yellowstone and up to Canada. After I married, the then wife, and I continued to camp for many years till we purchased a farm with that and a regular job time disappeared.
When the marriage dissolved and the farm along with it I wound up with a social group that brought me back to camping. Eventually a new wife and new exploration of the National Parks. Unfortunately her death came too soon to join me in our plan to full time.
Luckily I met a woman that had also lost a partner and shared my desire to travel and explore our beautiful country and that's where we are today.
Each day is a joy.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went FT to travel around the USA and see/experience/explore/enjoy/have an adventure while being able to sleep in our own bed every night.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Golf_Guy
Explorer
Explorer
Since splitting with my wife of 39 years we have sold the house I have bought an 05 Newman 37' Kountry Star and am headed to who knows where. Figure I should test someplaces out before I decide where to throw anchor and settle down. Will no doubt be someplace warm and dry. Never have done the RV before just boating in the past. Looking forward to the adventure. Will be in contact with people on the forum for advice and help, I know I will need it. Hope to hear from some of you in the future.

Steve
2005 37' Newmar Kountry Star 8.1 Chevy Workhorse
2004 Ford Focus Wagon
Taylor Made 2.o Irons Ping Wedges

botts12
Explorer
Explorer
After retiring and remaining in the same town for 5 years, we decided that we needed to see the US at a leisurely pace. Put the house up for sale, sold all of our belongings and hit the road. That was 7 1/2 years ago. Now like Clay L said, we have sort of "done it all" and have decided to settled down for a year in a rental villa in The Villages, FL to see if we are ready to stay in one place. If we get wanderlust again we will be back in the 5th wheel and on the road again but I suspect we will stay settled and just rv for brief trips in the future.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked to leave my house that I had lived in for 21 years. That request came from my wife of 10 years. It was the best decision she ever made for me! I had a great time full timing in my RV for a couple of years, then went back to work.

I am looking forward to the new kids growing up and moving out of the house, then hopefully I will still be young enough to go full timing again! I am really looking forward to it, and the third grader is growing older. Just 10 more years!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We were sort of “accidental” full timers.
We didn't intend to full time, just wanted to take a three to six month trip around the country visiting friends and family and then find some warmer, cheaper place to buy or build a house. At the time we had a 96 model year motor home with no slides.

We threw away stuff, gave stuff to places that could make use of it and distributed as much as possible to our kids.
We put all of the rest of our stuff in storage so we wouldn't have to go back to NH if the house sold quickly and it was still cold and yucky there.

The house did sell quickly (in a month) and we found after about a year that we were having so much fun traveling and having no ties to a stick house that we decided to keep on full timing. We traded the 96 motor home in on a new 2004 with a lot more CCC, storage space and two slides.

That was 12 years ago and so far we both love the life style. But health issues and sort of "having done it all" have intervened and after being snowbirds for a year we are now living in a home we bought in CO.
It was a wonderful twelve years though.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
We had grown kids scattered about the country, themselves involved in careers and raising families. Now we can go from group to group without worrying about the status of the house because we drag it with us. Besides, less is more.
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
We've always camped, even as kids, even with 4 kids. Was a dream of ours before I first retired from the USAF after 27 years. Saw the world, loved travel, wanted to see the US. I'm not a house lover; I hate to mow, taking care of the house was a nightmare with all the major upkeep issues. I could not justify heating and cooling all that empty space while the wife and I used a few rooms. The issue was our "stuff" what to do? We rent two storage units and placed in there the "stuff" we want to keep and use in our final place - plus we keep seasonal clothing in there and swap when needed. The rest of the "stuff" went to the kids now rater than when we're dead. The idea of the open road has always attracted us, and the adventure excites us. It's an all in or all out type of deal, and we have loved these past three years and would do it all again! https://bauernfeind.wordpress.com
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sold the house out from under us! Apartment? No way.
We did buy another house in May so not quite full timing, but we have only lived in the house 6 weeks since because we camp host in the summer qnd had three months planned

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
My darling wife led me down the "camping" road. When we were dating in 1972, her mother allowed me to accompany them on the first trip of the year. My wife's mother was an avid camper and camped most weekends when the weather would allow.

We went to a local state park, in a truck camper, and proceeded to set up. It was the very first trip of the year and the camper had been in storage all winter. My future mother in law started the refrigerator on propane. A bird's nest in the flue caught the camper on fire! Not a great introduction to the world of camping. The camper was ruined and no camping took place that weekend.

A year later, we married, and with the very last of our wedding cash, bought a tent, and some supplies for camping. As is the case with many camping couples, we “upgraded” as time went on. We had a series of tents, a truck camper, a pop up camper, and four different travel trailers during our working life. Each unit was a little bigger and more complex.

So I started camping to be close to my wife. After 41 years of marriage, I still want to close to her.

We decided to full time for three reasons:

1. After living in Florida for 34 years we had our first direct hit by a hurricane. 17 days without power. Roof ruined, etc. It was no fun.

2. I had a minor stroke. Not much damage but sure was a wake up call.

3.Family history among my many uncles, showed a pattern of retiring at 65, then dying just a few months or years later.

So after 35 years of camping being a major part of our lives, we went full time 8 years ago. Of course, at that time, we knew everything about camping!! NOT.

We just thought we knew everything, kinda like most teenagers. Camping and living full time in a camper are two completely different things.

Any regrets? Nope. Do it again? Absolutely.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006