cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I don't like Thanksgiving

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Got up this morning at 7AM. Cleaned the turkey, made the stuffing and crammed it in the bird. Set the oven at 325 and put the bird in. By 10AM it's cooking up a storm. By 2PM it's done. Family will be here by 4PM. For the past 5 hours, I've been inundated with this smell coming from the roaster!

There should be some way to hold off the smell until it's time to eat!...just sayin...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
17 REPLIES 17

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm a bit confused. I do all the cooking: Turkey, potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, yams, pumpkin pie. My wife does the clean up and she biatches about it. I can't seem to do anything right!!!!!

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had all our kids over along with the grandkids. Our turkey's were only .37 /lb at Food Lion. We always roast one and I fry one. Generally there is not that much turkey left and I agree with Dennis----it is tight frying one and smelling that aroma and not taking a bite here and there.

I give the DW the option of travelling somewhere over Thanksgiving but she loves cooking and having everyone over. However we are going to Florida for a couple of weeks for Christmas and New Years.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have new, commercial oven.
The 20 lb turkey should bake for 3 hr, it was ready in 2.
Good thing family come earlier.
We eat at 4:30

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
I like Thanksgiving. Turkey prices are up so I am trying to help keep turkey prices down. We're having a prime rib roast. If you missed my post. My assigned job is pouring champagne. Keeping my glass, I mean all glasses filled. :B

Turkey prices are up? I paid 0.52/pound for our 13 pound turkey this year. If that's up I wonder what we paid last year? Nothing?
Now, despite the price of beef come Christmas, we will be having a nice piece of prime rib (or Lobster!).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
petendoll wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Since we live in Florida and hurricane season does not end until Nov 31st, our coach is always fully fueled and full of fresh water.

You must be on the east coast of Florida. Our hurricane season ends on Nov 30 here on the west coast. :?

Must be daylight savings time. :B

petendoll
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Since we live in Florida and hurricane season does not end until Nov 31st, our coach is always fully fueled and full of fresh water.

You must be on the east coast of Florida. Our hurricane season ends on Nov 30 here on the west coast. :?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dennis, back at you!

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
My father-in-law decided this year was going to be a Luau thanksgiving. He had Hawaiian food catered -- ribs and teriyaki chicken. Heaven!
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you cook it so early? Fresh Organic bird, good convection oven. no more than 3 1/2 hrs.
let it rest for 1/2 hr while you make gravy. Most people overcook their turkey, nothing wrong with a bit of pink inside the thigh. Just don't serve that part. Makes for a juicy turkey. Add a bit of red currant jelly to the gravy. Yumm!
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I cooked a 19 lb turkey in just over two hours at 500°. Juiciest turkey we've ever had and only had to smell it for a couple of hours. Also had 17 people over this year, holy **** where's the Tylenol...
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
DW told me today she wasn't too happy with thanksgiving any more. But I think it's because she works so hard to make the day fun with lots of food. it is just getting too much for us so maybe we can sit back and let the kids put it on next year. we had turkey and Brisket this year. both made in the treagers.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
I'll be right over to help relieve you of the plight. ;-}

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...how big a bird did you make?
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been stuck at home for several months while our dog heals from her surgery. We have had our granddaughter, her husband, and our great-granddaughter in from Colorado for the month of November.
My wife loves to put out a big spread for Thanksgiving and for the past several years it has only been the two of us. She was tickled to be able to prepare a full meal for the family.
About one hour before everything was ready, we lost power, along with several thousand other people. No storm or anything but a transformer problem at a distribution center.
Luckily we keep the coach in our driveway so it was no problem to fire up the generator and the propane stove and cook top. After some shifting of things from the house to the RV we were able to finish off the meal and sit down for a nice family dinner.
This major power outage turned out to be a minor inconvenience and we were able to enjoy a fantastic meal with our loved ones.
Obviously even tho we won't be traveling for a few more months, we were thankful that our coach was there to save the day.
Just one more great memory with an RV. :B