Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windshield Shades

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
OK - I understand the benefit of windshield shades... now the questions:
1) Inside or outside? Does this affect performance?
2) If outside, attachment method? How about the holes needed for the fasteners?
3) Does color affect performance?
4) Any outside sets that don't require dragging the ladder out to install?
5) Most durable material?
6) Did I miss anything?

Thanks for any and all input!!!!
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package
27 REPLIES 27

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.traveling.

I've been contemplating the Magna shades but the cost has me stumped.

I do quite a bit of sewing so I feel I could make myown as you did. My questions are where did you measure, where did you get the material and the magnets?

In looking at your photos your shades look as good as the high price spread for sure.

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
Dale, I have the magneshade, and I must say you really went to school on their product. Your version is excellent. Well done, sir.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We went with Prompt RV Screens 10 years ago for our motorhome and would highly recommend them. No snaps. Easy up and down in a few minutes. They are very reasonable in price and are made to fit your specific model. We compared colors of friends by going inside and looking out. By far, dark colors give you a much crisper landscape. We chose dark brown to go with our motorhome.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dale, DW is a regular at Jo-Anns.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
donhoward49 wrote:
Dale, What did you use for the hemline material?? D W is worried about something to withstand the weather and heat.
Thanks, Don
Off the shelf at Jo-Ann Fabrics extra wide bias tape. Made for a cleaner edge rather than just folding it over sewing a hem line. The material is super easy to sew considering it's more open space than material.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
we got the one with windows, keeps the intense heat from getting inside the rv. now its all happy-camping

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
Dale, What did you use for the hemline material?? D W is worried about something to withstand the weather and heat.
Thanks, Don

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our coach new (2005), the MagnaShade was unknown. At that time we were still doing a lot of camping with our boat where we parked for a week or two in the same spot in HOT weather. Back then we ordered the MCD shades with the coach. They snapped on and then used Velcro triangles at the bottom that allowed you to stretch the screen and make it look nice.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the MCD shades came with four window screens. Driver's window, windshield, front door and passenger window. It required a ladder to put them on, but I used my awning rod to gently pop them off. Since we were typically staying a week or two, they really were not a hassle and looked great (black) against our tan and green coach. They did take some work to clean, roll up so they fit in a tube and put away.

When we quit boating and starting doing more stop and go travelling (just a few days at a time in places) we found that putting up the MCD shades was a hassle. I then purchased an indoor shade that used high quality suction cups and was cut to fit. It was tan, looked nice and worked well. It didn't block the heat as well as the exterior shade, but was easy to use.

Soooo.... I think what you buy depends on how you will use it. If you're going to winter in Arizona or another hot spot, I would get a set of shades for all the front windows. An occasional need, I would get the inside shade, more frequent use, an outside shade.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a MagneShade for our windshield last year. Yes, not cheap but extremely well made, very high quality. Once you do the initial magnet installation, putting it on and taking it off the windshield is quick and easy. When I go camping with my brother in law, I can put on my MagneShade inthe time it takes him to get put his ladder to put his old fashioned shade on.
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Magna Shade: http://www.magneshade.com/
2014 American Eagle

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Dale . Thank you!!!! We now have a project for the spring.... not that there weren't 87 other projects to do...........
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon. Eight of THESE and two of THESE on the inside of the windshield. Used 10 of THESE sewn into the screen in pockets. Stuck to the windshield with double-sided tape. Don't try and save money with weaker less expensive magnets. $100 worth of magnets plus $31 for the material. I think I spend another $10 for the hemline material. $140 or so all total. The two big magnets go in the upper corners and have to be strong enough to hold the shade while you are getting it into place.

To give you a better idea watch This You Tube video.

Feel a bit guilty passing along the info, particularly the video. Magna Shade has some really nice products, I just couldn't afford to buy what I wanted.

The magnets are VERY strong. Get a bit of skin pinch between two and they will raise a blister. They can shatter if you allow two to jump even a few inches and crash into each other.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Dale what size and where did you purchase the magnets? Also do you place a magnet inside the coach? How do you attach them inside?

If you have step by step instructions they would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you

Dale.Traveling wrote:
Made my own. Inspiration was from Magne Shade but couldn't afford their prices.

1) Inside or outside? Does this affect performance?

Yes it will. Warm weather you will want to keep the sun related heat outside the vehicle. During colder times I'll hang inside the coach for privacy.

2) If outside, attachment method? How about the holes needed for the fasteners?
I attach mine with very strong magnets. Used double sided tape on the inside of the windshield and pockets on the screen. The windshield wipers help hold it in place also.

3) Does color affect performance?
Not sure. I have a black screen and during the day can see out without a problem but is very private looking in. I would suspect lighter colors will reflect heat much more than darks.

4) Any outside sets that don't require dragging the ladder out to install?
With magnets I use a wooden dowel to hang the screen. Get the magnets close and they will stick together, even thru the glass.

5) Most durable material?
PVC. Found the material on line from Home Depot. 6'X20' for $32.

6) Did I miss anything?
Was pretty easy to make. Sewed mine in one evening. The magnets were the most expensive part but still much less than buying from a custom manufacture.

My homemade windshield sun screen.

I also made an awning sun screen from the same material.

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their responses and input... I like the MagnaShade concept, however, I agree with Dale about the cost.... Dale... where did you get the magnets???