cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canned food storage

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any issue I should be aware of storing canned foods like green beens, corn, BBQ beans, carrots and etc in my TT while in storage? Its been a hot summer with temperatures into the high 90's and want any spoilage or poisoning issues.

The cans are removed when winterized and refreshed (new bought) when I start camping.
10 REPLIES 10

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Wow and a lot of great responses. Also thanks for the frozen veggie ideas...I like that.

I appreciate it!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I know in Palm Springs the snowbirds put their canned goods & spices in an ice chest if they leave their rig in Palm Springs all year. They do have trash cans & toilet filled with water. The park management checks on the rigs ever so often to make sure everything is ok with the rig.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Mostly I use frozen vegetables, I can pour out what I want. This may be strange, but I even open chili beans, diced tomatoes, etc and pour them into freezer containers. At least when we travel through cold areas, I don't worry about cans bursting.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel often sat in the Southern California desert week after week at my dad's place. The temps would be in the 80s to 110 on most days. We kept lots of canned goods (all you posted and more) in under bed storage and pantry.

Never a problem as long as they were still within the "Best By" date.

The only can that exploded was tomato sauce that was out of date basically just dribbled onto the shelf. Easy clean up even though it had dried up.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check expiration dates and for any can that top has 'bubble'........otherwise OK in hot summer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

roman_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Having spent 57 years in the canning industry you have more to fear from a hard freeze than you do from heat as far as can ruptures are concerned. Most low acid foods like green beans are cooked at 262 degrees for abiout 22 minutes after the cans are sealed. If they were going to rupture that would be the time. You should discard any can that show swelling.

RT

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don't remove non-perishable food between trips. Because we live in the PNW, we four season camp and food is always stocked. I would not believe 90 degrees would be that bad on canned food.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Personally I wouldn't leave any food. Plenty of nightmare stories from exploding cans to rodent invasion to clean up the mess. It only takes 5 minutes to clear out the cupboards and put it in a laundry basket to cart into the house. 5 minutes=peace of mind. :w

That's exactly what my wife says. While I grumble a little about it, she (and you) are probably right.

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
90's are pretty cool here in Mesa, AZ. I leave canned food in the trailer year round. Think about it, the warehouse where the food comes from is, most likely, not climate controlled. I have never had an issue yet. Also, our freezes aren't hard or long enough to burst a can.I do not leave boxed food or anything in soft packaging.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I wouldn't leave any food. Plenty of nightmare stories from exploding cans to rodent invasion to clean up the mess. It only takes 5 minutes to clear out the cupboards and put it in a laundry basket to cart into the house. 5 minutes=peace of mind. :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus