cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooking Bacon.................

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I knew cooking bacon would get everyone's attention! I know that many of you are aware of this.....but here goes! If you pre heat your oven to 350 deg.(the thing below the stove top that was used prior to microwaves)and put your bacon in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Turn it once with a pair of tongs after 10-15 minutes or so. The a few more minutes and it's done. No uneven heat or worrying about burning it. Then................the good part. Take the bacon out and crack your eggs into the same skillet and put it back in the oven and your eggs come out so nicely cooked. Again, no uneven cooking or Fry-Crust on the eggs.(my mom liked the fry-crust on eggs, I prefer not.) No........not heart healthy, but we are talking bacon here and the two subjects really can't blend. Since we are seldom hooked up to shore power the oven is the ticket for doing this. Also, I yanked our micro. anyway as we never used it. That made room for important storage...........Coffee!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
44 REPLIES 44

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
At home oven cook bacon on baking sheet add water it will evaporate and you'll have crisp bacon when camping I use electric skillet outside very versatile appliance. If I'm not cooking over the campfire
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I have learned to never the use the words "wife" and "GF/girl friend" in the same post. Life is too short for that. Thanks for the laugh. . . she even thought it was funny, but wondered?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
cpd520 wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I know that this is heresy, but I use my Mini George Forman grill to cook bacon.

If I don't have shore power, I'll run the generator for a few minutes for my wife to make her latte with the Nespresso machine.

The GF grill cooks the bacon evenly, keeps it flat, and drains off the grease. It's an easy clean up with a damp paper towel.

Well, for a second there, I thought you had a really understanding wife. She was happily making her latte while your girlfriend (GF) was making you bacon. It was a short "DOH!" moment before I realized GF=George Forman.

:B:B Same here...for about 30 seconds.:)
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
I know that this is heresy, but I use my Mini George Forman grill to cook bacon.

If I don't have shore power, I'll run the generator for a few minutes for my wife to make her latte with the Nespresso machine.

The GF grill cooks the bacon evenly, keeps it flat, and drains off the grease. It's an easy clean up with a damp paper towel.

Well, for a second there, I thought you had a really understanding wife. She was happily making her latte while your girlfriend (GF) was making you bacon. It was a short "DOH!" moment before I realized GF=George Forman.
Jack and Nina

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
With all the different methods being discussed here I think we should have a RV.Net get together bacon cooking workshop and competition. And I will be the tasting judge!
No need to thank me. It's just a sacrifice I will make the world a better place.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
zigzagrv wrote:
I go to Sam's Club, buy their precooked bacon (72 slices per package) put 6-8 slices on a paper plate and cook/heat up for 1 minute in microwave. No mess, no fuss. And, it's good!

(Waiting for the bashing!) :B I know, HERESY!

Nothing wrong with precooked other than you miss out on the bacon cooking smell (makes all the campers wish they were having bacon when cooked outside :B ) and it often is more expensive per lb.

We actually buy precooked bacon crumbles for our salads from Sam's, kind of a nice touch.. I have also been known to sprinkle precooked bacon crumbles over my eggs while they are cooking for a quick "bacon and eggs" breakfast!

Speaking of bacon and eggs for breakfast, I sometimes will cook two eggs with bacon crumbles in a small skillet the night before. Once cooked, slide the eggs onto a plate, cover then put in the fridge.. In the morning it takes about a minute or slightly less to a quick hot breakfast.

You can also precook your own bacon, then vacuum pack the quantity that works for you and then freeze.. Cooked, portioned and just a few seconds in the micro and it is ready to eat on the go.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Been using the oven for bacon at home for years now. Not camping though.

Tip: save the bacon grease. Next time you have pop corn forget the microwave approach. Get real pop corn and pop it on the stove top using the bacon grease. You will never use the microwave method again.

I'm going to do that! Been awhile since we've had popcorn
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Been using the oven for bacon at home for years now. Not camping though.

Tip: save the bacon grease. Next time you have pop corn forget the microwave approach. Get real pop corn and pop it on the stove top using the bacon grease. You will never use the microwave method again.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see most of you cooks miss out on the part of achieving "fried egg perfection" by baking/frying your eggs in the oven when you cook bacon in the micro................But like I said.....we don't camp where there is hook ups to run a micro.
V-465

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I go to Sam's Club, buy their precooked bacon (72 slices per package) put 6-8 slices on a paper plate and cook/heat up for 1 minute in microwave. No mess, no fuss. And, it's good!

(Waiting for the bashing!) :B I know, HERESY!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bacon on a cookie sheet in the oven or smoker just looks more appealing than skillet bacon IMO.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
I just cut the bacon into (about) 1" strips. It always cooks evenly, and you can either cook it all at once or 'fridge it for later. The short strips fit on anything. (BLT's, with eggs, etc.)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I'm a traditionalist. Bacon, cast iron frying pan, top of the stove. After the pan is hot, I keep turning the heat down as the bacon cooks. If the meat causes it to curl, a quick slice with a very sharp knife and it lays flat. If the heat is down low enough, there's VERY little splatter. Besides, the RV smells GREAT all morning. BACON...YUM!!!
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the microwave, paper towel method too. It's the least messy.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might have to try that paper towel and MW method.. I've done the oven cooking of bacon at home, but never while "camping"..

Always outside, on a cast iron pan while "camping".. 🙂

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.