cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crock pot in RV?

ctomallo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We are very new to RV'ing and have our first big trip coming up. We have a class C- 30 amp electric. If we are hooked up to electricity at a campsite, is it safe to leave the crock pot on low all day?

Thanks for any advice!
42 REPLIES 42

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Steel cut oats, an apple, cinnamon sticks and cook in the crockpot overnight. Breakfast smells wonderful in the morning.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Sure hope it is safe because we do it all the time. We carry two, a large one and a very small one.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
A crock pot is one of the best things to have along in the RV.

Make up the simple recipe in the AM then when the day is done a meal is ready,we even do it while running down the road.

Just put it in the sink, secure the top with a ball Bungie turn on the genny and when we arrive the meal is ready and as a extra there is the aroma of the amazing meal to come filling the cab.

My favorites are Pulled Pork and Crock Pot Lasagna.

Clean up is a snap when using.

Just put the left overs in a zip lock and throw the bag away,no scrubbing or mess just wipe the pot out with a wet cloth and put away.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We crockpot cook regularly camping. I carry three; small medium and large.
I use the liners so cleanup a breeze. We prep the night before and cook all day while driving, set it in the sink while driving. I don't recommend the electronic ones. If the power goes off it stops cooking. I also have a Sous Vide controller I use with them.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
We crockpot all the time at home but it's too much trouble on the RV; the need for all the ingredients and pot cleaning. My DW prepares many meals at home and freezes them and finds that much easier. Also, we frequently have leftovers from a noon meal away from the RV and can use the leftovers for a future supper.

Double ditto. Crocks get broken or mishandled in tiny RV sinks. We do a lot of pre-prepped meals, seal them in a vacuum-sealer bag and take off down the road. A quick turn of a minute or two in the microwave has them tasting as fresh as when we cooked them and there's no crock to wrangle. After a day out and about, we're not interested in cleaning a crock when we can have the same thing and toss the baggie.

When we do stop, we cook some meals in a cast iron dutch oven on the campfire for our family. Everyone loves the d.o. in our group. The d.o. is easily cleaned by wiping it out and doesn't break.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Three words ... Crock.Pot.Pizza

Huge hit with almost everyone that has tried it...
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best part of crock pot cooking while camping is coming back to the TT after a day of hiking or camping and opening the door and being hit by the wonderful smell of good food that is ready to eat (and knowing you don't have to wait or do any further work before you eat). Just dig in and enjoy!

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Prepare all the ingredients at home, ziplock bag them, and keep them in the fridge/freezer. Then in the AM, just throw it all in the Crock, set it and forget it until dinner.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
We crockpot all the time at home but it's too much trouble on the RV; the need for all the ingredients and pot cleaning. My DW prepares many meals at home and freezes them and finds that much easier. Also, we frequently have leftovers from a noon meal away from the RV and can use the leftovers for a future supper.

We do all the time. I don't understand what you mean by too much trouble in the RV. Not judging only curious. Easy to clean....If you spray the pot with something like Pam or if you have your own sprayer to put oil in (pampered chef) cleaning up is quick.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
I do it too! I love to get back after a day of being gone doing fun stuff and having supper ready. I use the liners which makes clean up a lot easier. I justify it by telling myself that I don't have to use as much water which would fill the grey tank sooner. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's no problem, we do it from time to time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we do it all the time. Lessens the work load for DW. LMHO
charles weidman