Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Perking coffee -- how long?

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure this has been posted, but...

When using a stove top percolator, how long do you let the coffee perk?

I am big on timing everything... Years ago I decided trying 10 minutes for our 14 cup percolator (a relatively large pot). After the pot begins to perk, I turn the heat way down and let it perk for 10 minutes. Makes great coffee for me.

A friend of mine takes the pot off heat the moment he notices the water turning brown. To my taste, makes very weak coffee.

So, how long do you let your percolator perk?

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
The only way I've ever made coffee was in a saucepan on the stove burner. I added about one tablespoon of grounds for one cup of coffee. When done, I'd pour off the liquid into a cup, leaving most of the grounds behind. Made pretty good, strong coffee, which probably contributed to my getting A-Fib eventually. :B
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago (at least 10, if not 15) I bought a 14 cup stainless steel percolator from SportsmansGuide. Surprisingly heavy duty. I guess it is a no-name brand, as the box it came in simply says "14 cup percolator". Has worked great ever since. It will boil over (perc over?) if you don't watch it.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
So now I have to ask, what kind of stove top percolator do most of you use? I have always felt the top of the line percolator for camping is the old pre-1968 Revere Ware Stove Top model. When I am making percolator coffee, we turn in down to just perc-able when it starts to perc and let it go for 5 minutes or so and she's bueno!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

kyle86
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 cup percolator and a 6 cup. I mostly use the 6. What I found works for me is 1tbs coffee per cup. I perc about 6-7 minutes and that's it. From my experience over percing taste bad and also too hot will make it taste burnt.

If you don't use a filter you can get one of those little fine screen strainers that you hold over your mug and just pour through it. Also you can buy beans at most grocery stores and run it coarse through their grinder.

What I found with fine ground coffee is the only way to stop it from overflowing grounds from plugged up basket is to perc it slower. I hang the pot 1/2 way off the flame on lowest heat so it only percs once every 3-5 seconds. Of course a wrap filter fixes that issue entirely.

Also in a pinch you can use regular coffee filters too, the wavy kind. Just wet the middle and run it down over the stem into the basket. Then wet the rest of the filter and it will suck to the bottom of the basket. Fill with grounds then fold in just like a wrap minus the holes. It works okay. Usually I just perc no filter and then run the last cup through the mesh strainer to catch the grounds.

Edit: I almost forgot!!! If you don't use a filter wet the basket first before you put the grounds in. It really does help keep them from getting in the water.

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
I've made Camp Fire Coffee for years. Never timed it.
If I timed it it would be in the neighborhood of... Perk about 5 minutes...
Move it off the main flame to a (Low Heat) for 5 minutes)
Let settle 3-5 minutes.
Makes strong Coffee.

It's still so hot it will scorch your mouth.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Melitta Coffee Filter Wraps. I buy a case(520 Wraps) which works out to 4 cents a filter and that case lasts about a year. The wrap contains most of the grounds and makes clean up quite a bit easier.

I also brew for about 9-10 minutes and coffee comes out perfect for me.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Tom Trostel wrote:
Kroger sells "Wrap Coffee Filters" like Johnson said. Much like standard filters but thinner. Today, most people use drip machines so coffee companies sell their product ground fine. It will stop up the holes in most perk baskets. I make coffee for 2 rv rallies per year and average 250 cups per morning. I always use filters in my four 30 cup electric perks.

I think this is related... one thing that happens often with my stovetop percolator is that it will overflow - I have to watch it when it first begins perking. I think this is related to coffee "plugging" up the basket. I think I need to try a paperfilter in the basket.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Pour the coffee in a mug. Stick a spoon in it. If it stands straight up on its own, its ready to drink. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Kroger sells "Wrap Coffee Filters" like Johnson said. Much like standard filters but thinner. Today, most people use drip machines so coffee companies sell their product ground fine. It will stop up the holes in most perk baskets. I make coffee for 2 rv rallies per year and average 250 cups per morning. I always use filters in my four 30 cup electric perks.

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
Anybody else use a filter in the basket ?

Yes, I use a Brew-Rite filter, called a wrap-around style. This is a square sheet of filter paper, with prepunched holes in the center and the corners. Place the center hole over the tube in the middle of the basket, push the filter down into the basket, add coffee, fold the corners of the filter inward and slide the corner holes down over the center tube. Add the water diffuser plate over the top of the basket as normal, and perk. 8 minutes later, coffee is done, and after it cools a bit, the grounds and filter can easily be dumped out of the basket. Love 'em.
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else use a filter in the basket ?
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

sososixmpg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a stove top perk and the rule I grew up with was once it started perking, turn it down and perk one minute per cup. Let sit 3 to 5 minutes and enjoy the perfect cup of coffee.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
I don't perc - I drip. I have a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker. I pour water into the resivour until it reaches the "10" mark, and a half cup of ground coffee into the filter. That makes about 4 cups of coffee, just the way I like it. And I still dont know what those numbers mean - or care.

That's because you are probably using coffee mugs, not cups. A "cup" of coffee is tiny compared to a regular coffee mug. I figure a mug is roughly equal to 2 or 2 1/2 cups of coffee. And then you have all the mugs that vary greatly in size.

So just drink more coffee!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't perc - I drip. I have a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker. I pour water into the resivour until it reaches the "10" mark, and a half cup of ground coffee into the filter. That makes about 4 cups of coffee, just the way I like it. And I still dont know what those numbers mean - or care.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.