cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Big Green Egg

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to get the Large model for at home. Used a Cabello's silver bullet water smoker for years. Mostly for the November turkey event. Then an occasional brisket during the summer. The thin sheet metal design made holding temperature an endless challenge. Especially so in Maine & in November.

Please share your experiences, recipes & recommendations.

If ths works, may get a medium size for RV'ing.

Cheers, Bob
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired
30 REPLIES 30

erstanfo
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Sams club near by, they stock a brown egg, Vision Kamado grill.
Same as the large big green egg, but less $.

Which ever route you go, pick up a BBQ guru temperature controller. They make any wood, charcoal grill set it and forget it. I do 18+ hour cooks for brisket with the guru. https://www.bbqguru.com/
Ed, Sharon & Doolin the standard poodle
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a large BGE for years at home ane love it. Grilling, baking, DO, and smoking. If you are not getting enough smoke flavor then use more wood it is actually an excellent smoker with very precise temperature control even in cold weather. When I start traveling more I will get a small BGE for the MH.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Rec Tec Mini pellet grill. It's bigger than the Green Mountain Davey Crockett but still portable. It will go back and forth between our home and camping lot this summer.

Rec Tec Mini
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
BigBlue, we have a Green Mountain Davey Crockett pellet smoker. It is small enough to fit in the basement of our 5th wheel and it produces great smoked foods. One must carry pellets with them but if you have a BGE, you have to bring charcoal and smoking chips. We prefer mesquite for most of our smoking and we produce smoked meats that are much better than what we find in restaurants. And it is fun to experiment.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaz442 wrote:
For cold weather smoking I use a welding blanket on my smoker to help hold heat. Harbor freight has them cheap $25-30.

JKaz

Excellent idea! My brother came up with the hinged plywood idea because that's what he had on hand at the time. The hinges allow him to access the smoker without completely removing the protection.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
For cold weather smoking I use a welding blanket on my smoker to help hold heat. Harbor freight has them cheap $25-30.

JKaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big_Blue wrote:
@Go Dogs: love the look of the PK Grill line, that certainly does compliment the Airstream legacy.

@jnharely. Tell me more about the pellet smoker.

Cheers, Bob

We have one of the older PKs and it still looks great; it's our backyard grill/smoker. You might want to learn more about pellet smokers at this link
http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=13330.0
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

jimjulieaz
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Large BGE at home and have used it for almost everything. In fact, I won a cooking challenge here in our hometown on a BGE. I've done everything from cold smoked cheese to Pizza and I'm a strong supporter of the BGE concept and product. It just takes a little time to understand the science and then the magic begins to happen!

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
@Go Dogs: love the look of the PK Grill line, that certainly does compliment the Airstream legacy.

@jnharely. Tell me more about the pellet smoker.

Cheers, Bob
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own the WSM so I can't comment on the BGE, except to say I've heard they are excellent and have a loyal following. Can't go wrong with that choice IMO.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
PK Grill

Another option. The PK Grill smokes, grills, bakes, etc. It is bullet-proof, will last forever, portable and made in USA. As an added extra-it looks like and Airstream trailer! I love mine, check it out on Facebook.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Before getting a medium, be sure you can lift it -- they are pretty heavy. I carry a small BGE in the fifth wheel, and even the small is heavy. I made a wooden frame out of one by fours that holds it securely and makes it easier for me to. I mostly do hamburger, steaks (the small does two nicely), or salmon.

I have a large BGE at home that does mostly hamburger, steak, and salmon. Don't do much "smoking". With either big or small, I find that using a hair drier is a good way to get the charcoal going quicker.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Their website has recipes to get you started.
The Big Green Egg

There are cheaper ceramic cookers available that do just as well according to friends. One buddy tells me that the construction on one of the cheaper brands was better than the BGE. They also confirm that you can't get as much of a smoke flavor in the ceramic cookers as you would on a proper smoker.

For very cold weather smoking, my brother in Minnesota made a hinged plywood box for his smoker that created an airspace of 10" clearance on all sides and set a piece of plywood on top. It created enough of an insulated chamber to let the smoker do its job well in 9* weather. The sides are hinged and the top was simply set in place. Less than $45.

Magnus

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large one at our property and we carried a small one (not the mini) with us several years. We are fulltimers and it fit in the basement of our 5th wheel. We have since switched to a pellet smoker for our RV use and like the smoky flavor it provides. The BGE does not provide the same level of smokiness in our opinion.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I had no idea what you were talking about so I had to look it up.

The Big Green Egg