cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Lunches Non-Heat Non-Fridge?

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a single senior. I expect to head out for Big Bend NP next week and will be staying in the Chisos Mountain campground (no hookups but I have a 12v fridge). However, I will be taking day trips around the park on my scooter. What suggestions do you have for lunches that don't need to be cooked and need no refrigeration? I'll be taking snack bars to ward off low sugar mid-morning and mid-afternoon. One fallback is the pre-technical age option, bread and cheese. What else?
Currently Between RVs
40 REPLIES 40

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
So far I'm kind of looking at taking pre-packaged cheese portions, crackers, French bread, potted meat, Vienna sausage, fritos, boiled eggs (in shell), apples, ...
I'm probably looking at snacking on the individual items rather than assembling into a sandwich.
I'll pre-freeze a few cold packets at home and put in the travel fridge so if I want to carry a cold lunch I can add one to the container.
Currently Between RVs

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't as cost effective on Amazon - I used to see them at Costco all the time where they were CHEAP! But we usually have some of these along to throw in a backpack for a lunch: GoPicnic Meals

Edited to add: Target has better pricing (and a current sale). Still not as good as Costco!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Former Health Inspector here.

Take it from me: provided it's fully cooked, practically NO food perhaps excepting plain milk will "spoil" or grow bad guys if unrefrigerated for five or six hours. All those old stories about dead-folks-at-the-picnic likely involved HOMEMADE mayo, which is uncooked. Commercial mayonnaise will keep indefinitely without refrigeration. Or at least as long as it takes for one to fix, carry, and eat a sandwich.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think a lot of people freak over this stuff unnecessarily.

In regards to milk, I forgot to put away a gallon jug once. Had just brought it home from the grocery store and left it sitting in the front room for about 5 hours before I remembered. I immediately put it away when I realized. It was fine. However, it did go sour within 5 days - whereas the other jug, which I had put away immediately, stayed good past its expiration date two weeks later.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Gary. wrote:
Super Dave-- I've thought about that quite a bit-- went to school with a metal lunch box with a sandwich that had meat in it and no refrigeration! Never got sick, also no childs seat in car. How the heck did we ever survive?

Former Health Inspector here.

Take it from me: provided it's fully cooked, practically NO food perhaps excepting plain milk will "spoil" or grow bad guys if unrefrigerated for five or six hours. All those old stories about dead-folks-at-the-picnic likely involved HOMEMADE mayo, which is uncooked. Commercial mayonnaise will keep indefinitely without refrigeration. Or at least as long as it takes for one to fix, carry, and eat a sandwich.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Gary_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super Dave-- I've thought about that quite a bit-- went to school with a metal lunch box with a sandwich that had meat in it and no refrigeration! Never got sick, also no childs seat in car. How the heck did we ever survive?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ridingfamily4 wrote:
littlemo wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
peanut butter (extra chunky of course) on a tortilla rolled up.

Peanut butter without an ice cold glass of milk is just WRONG! LOL!

I absolutely, positively, without any hesitation, agree ten times!! 🙂

Peanut butter WITH a cold glass of milk is just WRONG!
LOL I hate milk!

I absolutely, positively, without any hesitation, agree ten times!! I HATE milk too!

I love milk but it hates me.....so I've learned to adapt and enjoy PB without the milk.
PB and potato chip sandwich is good with/without milk
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Shortie1915
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
Three pages of answers and nobody has mentioned SPAM? Of course, nobody eats SPAM. But somebody's buying it. And now there are several varieties. Actually, there are several canned meat items that keep forever and can be eaten cold. Chicken, salmon and tuna come to mind. Grab a box of crackers and you're all set.

SPAM now comes in different flavors? Unfortunately, I gag when I even smell it - can't imagine actually putting any in my mouth!

tothetrail
Explorer
Explorer
If you freeze water bottles before you go, just pile them in your cold fridge all together, and they should stay frozen for at least a few days. At least you'll be able to take some fresh food for a few of your lunches.

Take a look at the "GoPicnic" boxed lunches on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/GoPicnic-Snacks-Variety-Pack-Count/dp/B00K1F24VM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=141305...

Those are usually about $5 or $6 in National Park visitor centers, and more in airports. But on Amazon, a little cheaper. They are a good base for your lunch, and just supplement with some celery or apples with peanut butter, or other fruit.

Not sure if you have a way to heat water on the road/trail, but check out "Pack It Gourmet" http://www.packitgourmet.com/ for some really good backpacker type meals. The fruit smoothies are the best, we used those for many breakfasts on the John Muir Trail (of course cold water is best for those.)
2003 Foretravel U295
Jennifer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone remember their mom sending them to school with lunch in a brown bag and no refrigeration? LOL!
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
When I fished a lot out of my kayak I didn't really have room for food in the little ice bag I carried with drinks. I relied on salami, cheese, crackers and canned meat like potted or Vienna sausages. This worked well for me, but I'm not a big eater, especially at midday.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take a bottle of wine, French bread, cheeses, apple, and a can of smoked oysters. 😉
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Three pages of answers and nobody has mentioned SPAM? Of course, nobody eats SPAM. But somebody's buying it. And now there are several varieties. Actually, there are several canned meat items that keep forever and can be eaten cold. Chicken, salmon and tuna come to mind. Grab a box of crackers and you're all set.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Cheeze Whiz on any real dark bread. Peanut butter or Cheeze Whiz on celery. Grapes.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Try Minimus.biz for all things "mini & travel sized". Including food. They also sell by the piece, so I bought 12 Gluten free soy sauce packets, 5 vinegar and some mayo and relish (for tuna). I love their selection b/c I can't always find a deli/grocery store where I can grab some free packets of condiments.

I also like shelf stable pepperoni slices (need to be kept cool after opening, but I have opened them at lunch and then put them in the fridge at the end of the day) and also non- refrigerated Laughing Cow cheese wedges.