cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What are your "GO TO" seasonings?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I cook a variety of meals, especially a lot with fresh veggies and while the flavor is always good I have trouble choosing the right seasonings to kick it up that extra notch. What are your go to seasonings to KICK FLAVOR UP? Thanks.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
28 REPLIES 28

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS TO EVERYONE! Some of the seasonings I have never heard of and they will definitely be on my "shopping" list. I'm basically a black pepper, ground curry and very little sea salt. I have found that not all black pepper is created equal. I'll enjoy rereading to make sure I've missed nothing and I'll certainly enjoy experimenting! I'll keep you posted.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Lawry's Seasoned Salt has been my main seasoning for decades, along with fresh ground pepper.

In recent years, I've used a lot of Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning. Great for quesadillas, black bean soup.

Also Victoria's Sesame Ginger seasoning - ideal on broiled or grilled salmon, love it sprinkled on roasted asparagus.

Those four plus Montreal Steak Seasoning go with us on all RV trips.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
Goodness. I forgot to mention Old Bay Seasoning.I am from Maryland, we use it on most anything. Amazing for steamed shrimp and crabs. Nice on pork chops, sauted, chicken also.
happynow

Steve and Carol

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Won't leave home without Salt & Pepper, Bay Leaves, Garlic Powder and Chili Powder. Actually like all seasonings except Rosemary and Curry.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Herself loves to use pure sesame oil on the steamed veg. It gives the veg a nice nutty flavor. It's in the Asian foods section of the store.

Also we will use garlic salt, kosher or sea salt and pepper.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I use onion powder (when fresh onions are otherwise unavailable), garlic powder, Montreal steak spice, for chicken I use Montreal chicken spice. DW uses Mrs Dash, and Costco No Salt Seasoning.
Dan

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I'm really enjoying various forms of paprika, with sweet smoked paprika, disappearing faster than any other style.In fact thanks for writing this as it reminded me it's time to order some more.

Think I'll get a jar of freeze dried shallots at the same time since that's been used up as well and I rarely go camping w/o it.

One of the few mixes I buy (tend to prefer making my own)and constantly use is Spice House's Back of the Yard Garlic Pepper rub. Nice on eggs, steak, chicken, fish, veggies and cream sauces:

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/back-of-the-yards-garlic-pepper-butchers-rub

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My standard go to is "Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning". Primarily salt, pepper, garlic, MSG, oregano, sugar, onion powder, parsley and five other unnamed ingredients. I use it on beef, pork, chicken and seafood.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
I cook similarly-
Lite soy sauce, garlic + ginger or hoisin and rice vinegar or orange and brown sugar
Toasted sesame oil and shallot pepper
Chipolte chili powder and garlic...
happynow

Steve and Carol

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slap Yer Mamma or Tony Chacheres (Tonys).
Salt n Pepper
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
eubank wrote:
A little salt, some pepper, New Mexico green chile, and some garlic cloves. The recipes work like this: Combine your dish with an equal amount of green chile; add some of the other seasonings in moderation to taste.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

x2 - NM green chile (also called Anaheim or "Hatch" chiles), poblano peppers and chile arbol, along with cumin. (Native of Las Cruces, Lynn.)
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Y-Guy
Fresh Ground Sea Salt & Pepper
Montreal steak seasoning
Johnny's Seasoning No MSG, and their Jamaica Me Crazy
Mrs. Dash
Costco Rib Rub

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
A little salt, some pepper, New Mexico green chile, and some garlic cloves. The recipes work like this: Combine your dish with an equal amount of green chile; add some of the other seasonings in moderation to taste.
๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Salt/pepper

Red pepper flacks
Cumin
Lemon Pepper
Garlic Powder

Tapito Hot Sauce
Is it time for your medication or mine?