cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

a possible new rv satellite tv alternative?

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
could this become a new rv satellite tv alternative ? the dish is separately purchased and installed by contractors but that could change in time. Introducing ORBY TV
16 REPLIES 16

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Sat 117 is one of the Dish Birds as I recall so anywher you can get Dish Western Arc it should work..

Dish uses 110,119,and 129 for WA and 62.5,72.7, 77 for EA. 117 is not an Echostar sat.

John is probably thinking of the 118 sat that Dish uses for their International package.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
My cheap Brother in law recently had ORLY installed,.
You mean Orby?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Sat 117 is one of the Dish Birds as I recall so anywher you can get Dish Western Arc it should work..

Page 2: It's till too much to pay as far as I'm concerend. I do OTA for 25/year (Cost of electronic TV guide) If I wanted to MANUALLY program all recordings I could skip the 25/yr.

Dish uses 110,119,and 129 for WA and 62.5,72.7, 77 for EA. 117 is not an Echostar sat. Using multiple birds, if an issue crops up they can switch programming to a different transponder or even a different bird. Direct uses multiple birds also. With this Orly who knows what can be done if they lose a transponder or something.

My cheap Brother in law recently had ORLY installed, he is always the first to jump into the crappile spending dollars to save nickels. The local antenna they installed only picks up FOX out of Pittsburgh. We're both about 35 miles as the crow flies from the city. As a comparison I can get all 4 networks over the air using the batwing on the trailer in my driveway, and he is a good 400' higher in elevation and only gets Fox 53. He said the Orly installer told him to get a rotating mast to mount the OTA antenna on and that "might" work. Reminds me of my dad turning a dial while kicking the TV back in the 60s while spewing profanities.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Page 2: It's till too much to pay as far as I'm concerend. I do OTA for 25/year (Cost of electronic TV guide) If I wanted to MANUALLY program all recordings I could skip the 25/yr.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
27 8nches by 18 inches dish plus one or more OTA antennas no thanks.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Since Dish uses 119 & 129, I would think that 117 would not be a big issue. I often cannot get the 129 bird, but still can get my favorite channel which is Fox news.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The dish is not that big at 27"W and 18"H. A little bigger than a DTV antenna. Not having FOX News is the #1 reason I might switch!
It uses 1 satellite at 117W and would be no harder to point than any other DISH/DirecTV antenna on a proper tripod.
There is NO Network programming. Period. All local programming is provided by an OTA antenna that is installed separately from the satellite antenna.
Not all of the channels are available in HD but it seems a bit difficult to determine which are which.
This is a very Western located satellite so pointing may be difficult in the NE or SE or any Eastern areas with a lot of trees.
The up front costs are pretty high since you have to buy the receivers ($200 for a 2 tuner DVR) $4/month for the DVR service is pretty cheap. However, the savings for multiple receivers (if you use 2 receivers) is about $7/month.
This seems like a service living in the past as it only has 2 transponders on the 117W (116.8) satellite so what they can provide is quite limited.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cheap cellular data is killing off cable & satellite...it will take some time but it's a dying industry.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a huge dish that would be a pain for RV use. Dish

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to be a solution for a fixed location. Equipment wouldnโ€™t be RV friendly.
2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, then I guess you better find what tools they're taking about.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
direct tv was not rv friendly when it was first released in 1995 but i installed one in my rv the 2nd day it was available and drove it around to the dealers in the area showing off that i could park and aim the dish wherever i had a clear shot to the satellite.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I stand corrected.
This doesn't sound RV friendly. It says most people don't have the tools to aim the dish. Oh, and they don't carry Fox news. I probably don't have to say much more about that.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
Reception and availability may vary by location. Pass.

that is talking about the local channels available through the provided over the air tv antenna that comes with the dish.