cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-virus recommendations.....

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
We presently have Kaspersky 2013 and will need to renew/replace in about 3-4 months. I am sure this is one of those Chevy/Dodge/Ford questions.
I am even thinking of going the AVAST or AVG route as they seem to be highly rated for the freebee programs. My first BUY choice would probably be the Norton. Rumor has it that it is not invasive like it used to be. A recommendation I got from someone said to go with Microsoft Security Essentials but sometimes I get the impression that the Microsoft stuff may tend to be over rated.
Thanks.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
22 REPLIES 22

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
Linux

Take a look at #1. Try the live CD/DVD which makes no changes to your system while you try it out.

I have used Slackware, Ubuntu and Mint in that order since 1996. Never a virus or malware.

HTH;
John

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ramyankee wrote:
I am sure this is one of those Chevy/Dodge/Ford questions.
Not exactly.

I have use a product called "nothing" for 26 years and have had exactly 1 intrusion. Your best AV is not opening emails you don't recognize and not going to free music download sites.

It's hard for me to believe any free product would do much of anything.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Windows 8 only:

You do not indicate your operating system If Windows 8, be aware that Windows Defender is now a full blow anti-virus software and already installed on your machine. (Win7 and earlier WD is not an anti-virus program.)

However, Windows Defender on a W8 machine will not function if there is another AV software installed on the machine. This includes those free trials from McAfee and Norton that pay the machine manufacturer to install prior to sale.

Once all AV software is removed, WD can be activated.

I have been using it for about 2 months and much appreciate avoiding the time consuming updates for the McAfee that I got for free from my DSL provider. WD is also free.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
MSE and Malwarebytes (since it blocks by IPs). However, AV software is worthless these days. One of the primary vectors for getting a computer compromised are ad servers that use malicious code, so using AdBlock as an extension to your browser will go far farther to keep your computer clean than any AV utility out there.

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
If Trojans are getting through, I am betting you are running with an elevated account. IE running as administrator.

Do all of the program management and updates, etc. with the admin account and set yourself up with just a normal user account and use it for everything else.

Best protection you can do to your ‘puter. Otherwise you are running with your pants down.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have no problem with MSE or the free anti-virus products. I buy a retail product for the firewall and extra features. Most of the coffee shops, libraries, RV parks, etc. have unsecured WiFi. I don't want some bored, war driving, snot-nosed 15 year old to gain access to my PC via one of these networks. They probably can anyway, but I can make it as unappealing as possible. Also many of the WiFi networks are still using WEP security (which is easily breached). There are also other features to the like anti-phishing, anti-spam, parental controls, scanning search results for hazardous URLs, data protection, encrypting IM chat, identity theft (for an additional fee), yadda, yadda, yadda.

So, for RVers, I also recommend any firewall product that is better/more robust than Windows Firewall.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Grammie
Explorer
Explorer
Avira for years. Never had a problem and it is free.
Dream Catcher

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Wet Coast wrote:
Norton is the equivalent of a virus.

Not defending Norton, but it's not like it used to be. I agree that 5 or 6 years ago it was, as you said, like having a virus. I got it free with a new laptop, so decided to try it again. Much less intrusive.

Robert78121
Explorer
Explorer
This subjects comes up quite often, but as said you can't go wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials. I'm still using AVG, becuase I have a comfort level with it and have been using for a very long time. I would suggest not paying for Nortor. It's a waste of money.
Washington DC Area (NOVA)

Camper: 2004 Damon Daybreak 3285 WorkHorse 8.1
Toad: 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - BlueOx
Toy: 2012 Ninja 650 - Versa Haul VH-SPORT-RO

Spent three years full time, so I know a little about it.

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
AVG and Malware Bytes..free

beavergod1
Explorer
Explorer
Used MSE when I let my Nortons 360 expired. Got a trojan a few months later. Went back to 360 and never had a problem again.
Friends: Easy to make and hard to get rid of.

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Independent test for most devices used. Click the left menu for your device and O/S.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

stitchinsue
Explorer
Explorer
I used avg forever, then I got a trojan virus and avg couldn't keep it quarantined or delete it. I switched to avast, and that has deleted it.

AVAST or AVG Free would be fine. You don't get significantly higher protection from a paid AV package. Both are top rated. Higher in protection(detection) than MSE according to three of the major independent security testing groups.