cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back to Windows 8.1

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Windows 10 a while back. I was originally going to wait, but curiosity got the best of me. For a while, I liked it but then all of a sudden I couldn't exit tablet mode. I tried several things, like system restore, but nothing worked. After every boot-up, there would be the charms all over the screen. I couldn't access my important desktop icons, either. I never had any issues with 8.1, so I decided to revert back to that OS.Of course, I may try Win 10 again before a year is up and, hopefully any bugs will have been addressed. In the meantime, it's nice to back with 8.1.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
19 REPLIES 19

burlmart wrote:
1492 wrote:
Don't think that WIN 10 is the only OS that tracks users habits. So does WIN 7/8.1 through regular updates MS has apparently pushed recently which reportedly track similar to WIN 10. However, you can uninstall these tracking updates, and hide them from Windows updates in the future.

UHH...i think i just said that...as you seem to defend all this MS privacy intrusion, are you supportive of keylogging ?

I've posted this info previously and didn't rely on your post to do so, which I didn't read.

You're latter comment makes no sense, or are you just attempting to troll on the forums? Provide any of my posts where I defend Microsoft privacy intrusion, or supportive of keylogging? Completely, unfounded and false information. In fact, I've provided practical info on protecting privacy issues and data in the past, more so than I can find from your post history?

burlmart wrote:

i am fairly sure that i am being keylogged by MS. i am afraid to do any account logins.

What makes you believe so? And what have you done to determine that you do have a keylogger that stealing your personal info? More importantly, why are you still using that PC or OS? It makes no sense? You could even go to a portable Linux install on a USB flash drive, exclusively to access account logins? What has been advised as an alternate solutions by noted security experts for those with similar privacy/security concerns?

What is confusing is that if you're so concerned about Microsoft privacy practices, that you continue to use MS Windows? Or is this just an agenda?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Todays technology DUH ! ??

Its an UPDATE, right ? If its so good, I would think I would wake up one morning, and Win 10 update would be all installed and working perfectly. I mean, look at all the other updates that got installed that don't give me any trouble. Why should this be any different. There is a good reason why this is being dumped on us, not to mention the free part of it.

Bill said it best. If it doesn't need fixing, stick it on my computer, and quit begging me to take it.

But I didn't need to be told.....my little common sense told me anything being forced on me ....for free, can't be good !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop to Win 10 and have had no problems so far. It is easy to change privacy settings so that nothing is tracked or sent to Microsoft. To shut off automatic updates on a wifi connection, just set that connection to "Managed". Don't use Cortina as it will turn privacy settings back. It is running much more evenly than with 8.1 did and I no longer get the pita side bar opening if the mouse goes over to the right side of the screen. The upgrade install was smooth and easy and none of my installed software was touched. If you experience slower boot, then go into privacy settings and turn everything off - because this is what slows boot time on Win 10 - and you don't want anything being sent out anyway.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I upgraded to Windows 10 area weeks ago and have found it to be a very good OS....much better than Windows 8. My boot time is much faster. I haven't had any glitches or problems so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Don't think that WIN 10 is the only OS that tracks users habits. So does WIN 7/8.1 through regular updates MS has apparently pushed recently which reportedly track similar to WIN 10. However, you can uninstall these tracking updates, and hide them from Windows updates in the future.

UHH...i think i just said that...as you seem to defend all this MS privacy intrusion, are you supportive of keylogging ?
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

And to clarify some misunderstandings of WIN 10 automatic downloading on WIN 7/8.1 machines. This only happens if the user has enabled "Install updates automatically". I always select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", which permits selecting which updates, and when I want to do them.

There is also a registry setting that you can add to prevent auto OS upgrade downloads, or just change the way you do WIN updates.

I've personally not done any WIN 10 upgrades yet. In general, it's best to wait until issues have been patched before migrating. Ideally, until SP1 is released, but may be over a year away. Beyond the free upgrade period?

In my case, I know I will have some major issues upgrading my WIN 7 Pro PCs. One of which is my HP display monitors will not work, as their apparently is no drivers available. Granted, these are aging at this stage. But are nevertheless, greater than HD rez, with a high color gamunt reproduction, 70% left on CFL life, and among the brightest monitors still available. Not easily replaced without some $$. Though a 42" 4K monitor(w/display port) would be preference.

It should be fairly straightforward to revert back. But my practice is to always have a backup system image of WIN 7/8.1, should the revert create any issues.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You actually DO seem to be a Microsoft fan or you would not be bashing those who legitimately don't like something, even if it's fixable by searching out a solution.
I didn't say it wasn't broken and I was not intending to bash anyone. Just pointing out a little information for those that may not be able to find their way for the bad mouthing here.

I think Microsoft's attempt to deliver a product that tries to be two things isn't good for either environment (PC and or smartphone/tablet). But it is what it is and I don't find the alternatives (Apple and Linux) to meet my needs. I am sure there are others that just want to move on with what we have.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

If it's not broke......don't install something that requires fixing!

this is a priceless statement!

i have delayed moving from 8.1 to 10.

nevertheless i have noticed a marked slower popup time for my on-screen keyboard since all the recent updates that put W10 spyware into people's W7 and 8.1

i am fairly sure that i am being keylogged by MS. i am afraid to do any account logins.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
10 works fine on my machines and have no need/want to back to what we had...7 on one and 8.1 on another.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
StartIsBack and Classic Shell are "fixes" for a bad setup. Why should I have to install 3rd party software to fix an operating system. You actually DO seem to be a Microsoft fan or you would not be bashing those who legitimately don't like something, even if it's fixable by searching out a solution.
If it's not broke......don't install something that requires fixing!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
The only way you can really opt out is if you get Win10 PRO or Win10 Enterprise.. With those versions you get Regedit and administrative/policy editing rights to the registry..

There is so much misinformation in these forum threads and failing to pay any attention to solutions to Win10 issues.

I just picked the above as one example. Regedit works in the free version of Win10.

The rantings about "tablet mode" are also strange as has been pointed out repeatedly here. StartIsBack (my favorite) and Classic Shell very satisfactorily provide a Windows 7 user interface to Windows 8 or Windows 10 and the tiled interface or "tablet mode" is not a factor.

And, creating a local login rather than a "Microsoft login" avoids a lot of the "mother ship" watching over you, not that there aren't plenty of others collecting data about you.

I am not a Microsoft fan, but the self hurt inflicted here in trying to avoid Windows 10 is unbelievable. ๐Ÿ˜ž Windows 10 works just fine for me.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We upgraded both WIN7 and Win8.1 machines here (two of each machines in all) and they look abit different when converted over to WIN10... Even the LOGIN is different between the two models. I was expecting the screens to all look the same after they went to WIN10. I have the WIN8.1 Laptop machine and the wife has the WIN7 machine and my daughter has her WIN7 and WIN8 laptop machines. We have three DELL models and one HP model laptops here...

Ours all went without a hitch... We had to force the download of the last WIN7 machine which was taking forever to get the GO AHEAD from MS. After doing that it went without a hitch converting over.

I didn't like the new MS EDGE BROWSER and after trying to convert all of my apps over to that I finally went back to FIREFOX and GOOGLE CHROME... I use dual 24-inch monitors here with my DELL LAPTOP setup... Just couldn't get used to the small differences that EDGE was doing. It was a tad faster however...

The part I really like with WIN 10 is when you first turn it ON and log-in it almost jumps to the main view desktop scenes... Our WIN7 and WIN8 OSs would take several minutes sometimes to get to that point...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Installed 10, week later went back to 7. My laptop configuration made all the text blury. Just ugly to look at. Yea I know, suppose to be an easy fix. NOT!