cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Navigation unit

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have a TomTom Go 720 in my F-350 and love it.

It does not show height restrictions, etc.

I like the voice instructions it has.

I am looking for a new unit to put into my RV and height and weight are important. Looking for the best within reasonable price range ($500.00)

Suggestions?
28 REPLIES 28

jpfx
Explorer
Explorer
yes, and my personal preference is to read the signs rather than place too much faith in what the GPS says. stories abound of people following their GPS and coming out worse off.
as an aid they're great but I'd only have myself to blame if it made a fool out of me.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
So, as far as propane in tunnels and bridges....doesn't the DOT give warnings in advance along the highway?
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Explorer
Explorer
jpfx wrote:
if you're willing to pay premium prices then get a premium gps.
these RV models are two years behind the times.
I have a garmin 3597LMTHD and very nice it is too. a 7" low res screen might be okay in an A class but being able to move this 5" high res GPS around gives it far more value (to me) than the $20-$30 premium cost over RV units. If I wanted all the campsites, goodsams & CWs (which I don't) I can install the POI files for them.
just the screen clarity and ease of use was enough, the rest is a bonus.

A car GPS has no routing for height restrictions and a height clearance POI will tell you much too late that you are about to hit the overpass you are approaching with no exit before it. The campgrounds, etc. are just frills on RV GPS units - the height, weight, propane, etc. profile is what is important on them so that they route your RV accordingly.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

jpfx
Explorer
Explorer
if you're willing to pay premium prices then get a premium gps.
these RV models are two years behind the times.
I have a garmin 3597LMTHD and very nice it is too. a 7" low res screen might be okay in an A class but being able to move this 5" high res GPS around gives it far more value (to me) than the $20-$30 premium cost over RV units. If I wanted all the campsites, goodsams & CWs (which I don't) I can install the POI files for them.
just the screen clarity and ease of use was enough, the rest is a bonus.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
Well just got back from a 3,000 mile trip and I hate the Garmin RV 760.

Even with the detail turned to high, it does not show some interchanges on the high way, sitting in a Pilot it did not show it as a gas station, I had the height of the RV set to 14 feet and it took me on a road that had a height restriction of 13.5, stopped at a camping world super store and it did not show it as a POI at all. I'm selling it and will try the TomTom VIA 1605 M RV

I have been riding around with both the garim and the TomTom side by side. TomTom shows much more detail, Garmim has better warnings of sharp curves and grades, TomTom speaker volume is not as loud but is loud enough, Garmin interface is better.

I am selling the Garmin and keeping the TomTom because it shows all the roads and fuel points where the Garmin does not.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
Well just got back from a 3,000 mile trip and I hate the Garmin RV 760.

Even with the detail turned to high, it does not show some interchanges on the high way, sitting in a Pilot it did not show it as a gas station, I had the height of the RV set to 14 feet and it took me on a road that had a height restriction of 13.5, stopped at a camping world super store and it did not show it as a POI at all. I'm selling it and will try the TomTom VIA 1605 M RV

Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
So how do you plan a trip to avoid bridges and tunnels that do not allow LP?

You could do this manually with a free program called Tyre which will let you great a route that will download to any Garmin or TomTom GPS. But if you are going through this you don't need anything more than a car GPS. You would first need to put the destination and start point into Tyre and let it route you. Follow the line of the route and look for bridges and tunnels, and then go to each location's website (usually the State DOT) and check the list of prohibitions on the bridges and tunnels you are routed through. Then set waypoints around those bridges and tunnels so that the route cannot go through or on them. I do this also with height restrictions for my in-dash Tom Tom regular GPS in my RV - but any change in route along the way becomes a problem with a new routing that cannot be checked on the fly. This is why no propane setting in the new Garmin RV GPS is a big problem.

Other RV GPS units have this setting. Also the Garmin Dezi Truck GPS has this setting. Garmin dropped the ball with this new RV GPS.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
So how do you plan a trip to avoid bridges and tunnels that do not allow LP?

Explorer
Explorer
Ads with Garmin Traffic are few and far between and I have not seen any show up on my Garmin for about two years. They were there to supplement the cost of traffic updates and all that showed was a single line about a Best Western or whoever and then it was gone.

It is really too bad that the Garmin RV760 does not have a propane setting. I am not sure what they are thinking as routing into tunnels, etc that do not allow propane can get you into big trouble.

The Dezi760 truck GPS in truck mode does have the propane setting and it looks like I will go with that - unless Garmin does a firmware update to add the propane when they get reactions from RVers that this is a bad thing to be missing. The Dezi also comes in a 5" screen for a hundred bucks less with all of the same features as the 7" screen model.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
mikestock wrote:
I have two Garmin units. I also have Streets and Trips 2011 with GPS sensor. Besides this I have an Ipad with GPS and also apps on mine and my wife's Verizon smart phones. None of the above, with the exception of Streets and Trips, have any warning about overhead clearance.

After three years of comparing routes calculated by the different devices I have learned to rely most on the routes calculated by Verizon. It does not always give the shortest route, but when I have depended on Garmin rather than a different route calculated by Verizon, it was a mistake. The Garmin has put me on mountainous routes such as one just north of Santa Rosa, CA that limit speed to 25 mph for miles, when the alternate Verizon calculated route, although longer, would have been much safer and faster. The only drawback with the phone is that it must have a signal to calculate.

Which Garmin units do you have, the was under the impression that the Garmin RV670 did do height?

"Alerts you to upcoming road conditions
Such as sharp curves, bridge heights, weight limits, high-wind areas, descents, ascents and more to help keep you informed. Also shows trucking speed limits and mile marker information."

I have also read in PC reviews that Garmin shows ads?

I have the RV760 yes it DOES do height. Also can link to the smartphone and use the Android traffic, much better than the included traffic, as well as show most road cameras and weather. Haven't done the update with new FW yet, but as shipped true, no propane.

Very good on showing curves, steep roads, etc. in RV mode. Turn by turn directions so far are fantastic. For example it will tell you the road to turn on, followed by local landmarks in most cases, along with light or not. For example, In on case said (paraphasing) " Turn left on 185th Ave at the stoplight just after the US bank on the right"

Also, unlike past Garmins, if you miss a turn it then figures the next route, rather than getting you back on the initial route. I often know some shortcuts and now when I pass the GPS turn, it just picks up the alternate route, no "recalculating, make a legal u turn bit".

And finally you can create a route using Basecamp and import it into the Garmin as the route. I'm guessing you can do the same with a Streets and Trip route if you create a GPX file.

RV related ammenities seem extensive. List of nearby RV parks, dealers, service, etc. was very comprehensive. Listing of local RV parks, campgrounds that I initally looked at were accurate and up to date with lots of info on the park, sites, phone #s etc.

With the big screen lots of info without clutter, including at the bottom showing the next intersection coming up, with the top showing distance to next turn and turn info.

So far, I'm glad I waited for the RV760 and would recomend it in a heartbeat based on my first trips experience. Will be getting a real workout next month on our trip through idaho and montana.

On route selection, a "prefer not freeways" would be nice for us. In the avoid section it has a avoid unpaved roads, which is nice to make sure the route isn't going to send you off to never never land.

so, far, the only good news/bad news is the screen size. yes, the big screen is great, BUT without proper placement it can obstruct your view. Placed mine on passenger side far right. DW has close up view, but with big screen I can also see it.

So far, no Ads.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I recently completed an 1800 mile round trip to pick up my new 5th wheel. I had my Ford F350 in-dash GPS going as well as my Rand 7720. Some might think that's a bit of overkill but there are advantages to this idea. For instance, I could set the Ford unit on 'long range' and dial up the on-line radar weather to see what was in front of me. At the same time, I also had the 7720 set up with my destination.

Yes, I know smart phones are handy for this, but I travel by myself and can't just sit there playing with my phone while driving.

This was the first time I really used the 7720 and I must say I was impressed. It worked great. You do have to get used to all the info it shows around the screen perimeter, but after that learning curve is completed my combo GPSs worked great. The 7720 has a lot of features that I like. Two in particular are that it shows the speed limit of the road you are traveling on as well as your actual speed right next to it. The other, and my new favorite, is that it shows the highway mile-marker you have most recently passed. And it changes to the new marker number almost exactly as you roll past it. It also has a huge campground database - I like how I can set up a route to just about any campground in the country just by pushing a few buttons. I have always had Garmins in my cars but I REALLY like this 7720.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I have received the Garmin RV unit. I am very disappointed in it. I found no Propane setting. It does no show all Gas stations along the way but randomly picks which ones to show. Spend several hours on the phone with garmin on small topics. I am sending it back and will purchase the TomTom VIA 1605 M RV. I'm not sure what to do with the propane problem

Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
Have a look at the Laptop Delorme GPS.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10091/

Now operates under Windows up to and including Windows 8.
Price is really attractive.
Vic

I have the Delorme software and there is no RV or truck settings. It will route on roads an RV cannot go on and on roads with low clearances. Neither Streets and Trips or Delorme have this. They are intended for cars and route that way.

Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
I have compared the dezl 760LMT
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/trucking/dezl-760lmt/prod112211.html

to the RV 760LMT
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/rv/rv-760lmt/prod135455.html

Price is the same, RV has my trends but does not have Photo Navigation

Bottom of the RV has this

Specialized RV routing supports RV-related restrictions in both the U.S. and Canada (customizable by height, weight, length, width)
Shows America's RV parks and service locations
Displays elevation grade of current roads while driving
Includes RV specific features such as state border notices, speed limit changes, sunrises/sunsets and mile marker info
External video input for backup cameras

Dezl has nothing listed on these features????? I talked with Garmin customer service? who vegly said the dezel has those features

Pre-shipment reports on the Garmin RV is that there is no propane setting. The Dezi has this in truck mode. There are some roads and tunnels that you cannot drive on if carrying propane. This seems to be a big thing to leave out of an RV GPS.

I am waiting to hear from those who have gotten the new Garmin RV to find out if this was added before final shipment - as Garmin was made aware of it before release and the release was delayed.