cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beware Winegard Trav'ler if you want HD in Northeast

susseandchris
Explorer
Explorer
We have had issues with our Trav'ler roof-mounted sat antenna. Unit is currently down and unusable. In my internet research about this product, I have seen multiple posts on websites such as 'Satellite Guys' saying that the Trav'ler is useless for picking up HD satellite 129 in the DISH system in the northestern US. Best advice I have seen is to purchase a dome-type portable that is capable of receiving the eastern arc HD satellite. Was gonna buy a new Trav'ler, but now thinking about a Winegard portable. Would appreciate comments on this!
Susan and Chris and Pablo, the Havanese dog
Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
St Catharines, ON Canada
11 REPLIES 11

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
So our experience traveling all the way to Maine is that if you have a Western Arc Travlr all dish locals are also on SD on 110 or 119. So we cover the rest of our channels we lived with that in some market's. We normally travel in the West so we didn't want to trade dishes. Some eastern markets DO also transmit on 129, Orlando being an example.
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

dbonney
Explorer
Explorer
I was just in Maine fable or three weeks in July. Just north of Acadia. I used the Winegard manually for the 61 satellite and also locked onto 72. It also worked for me last year in Western Mass.

Over the last few years have done the same in PA and NY in areas not receiving sat 129. Had the same result locking on to 61 and 72. You should manually look for 61 not 72 .I usually get 72 as a bonus.
Dale F. Bonney
Pennsylvania State Police - Retired
2016 Ford F350 Power Stroke Diesel DRW
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36KPTS

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard still does not believe anyone needs the EA sats or they can't figure out how to program it.
129 sat works well in the NE as long as you camp in an open field with no trees for 1/4 mile.
Good luck getting 72.7 in the manual mode. Many people can't. That has been covered here multiple times.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Northern ME is on the fringe of the 129 sat CONUS coverage, but the biggest problem may be the low 12 deg angle needed to hit it. It doesn't take much tree cover to block that. For contrast, the Dish 72.7 bird is at a 37 deg elevation in northern ME.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP was about Dish Network. The coverage for DirecTV is much better than Dish due to the Central US orbital location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We spent the last three months in New England, going as far northeast as Jonesport, ME. We used the western arc (110, 119, 129) except in a couple of campsites where trees were in the way; we manually tuned into 61 or 72. I think maybe twice over the summer we were unable to get HD (129) but that was due to trees.

If you can't get 129, try to 'manually' get 61. Often, manually tuning in to 61 also gets me 72. Good luck!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

dturm
Just got back from a trip including upstate NY, northern VT, MA and didn't have any problem with my Trav'ler. We didn't go to ME. Got all DirecTV channels even in marginal sites with some tree cover.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
susseandchris wrote:
Was gonna buy a new Trav'ler, but now thinking about a Winegard portable. Would appreciate comments on this!

If your going DISH Network the best portable to use is the Winegard Pathway X2. It has a much larger reflector than the normal dome type portable which allows much stronger signal reception. I have used mine in Canada on DISH Eastern Arc sats up into NB, NS, and PEI.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in NY and have full signal strength on our Traveller on Sat 129.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a Trav'ler that you have used in these areas without success or are you just posting what you have read? The NE is a very big area. NE as in Maine or SE as in S. FL can be a challenge for any antenna using the WA satellites (110, 119 and 129) but not useless as you seem to imply. The Trav'ler can be set to manually point to the 72.7 satellite (at least you could the last time I checked) and get all of the Dish programming except the National Networks.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Have you communicated with the factory?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350