cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian GPS Problem

hhornig
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Garmin GPS and it seems to work fine in the US, but in Canada it will find cities and parks, but it will not find street addresses. Is this just my device or is it common. If other devices work both in the US and Canada for finding street addresses please let me know which ones do. Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

docj
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
As per comment above for my current Garmmin NUVI I had to get a memory card to be able to load all the maps for western and eastern North America.

The same thing happened to me; the current North American map set is larger than the memory in most (all?) older Garmins. If you did an update and didn't notice that you needed a memory card it probably would have loaded only the US portion of the maps. You can buy an SD card for a couple of dollars at Walmart and download the full map set.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
Way up here in Canada we actually buy the same GPS models that are sold in the US. They work fine on both sides of the border. They use the same mapping data and the same GPS satellite system. There is no subscription needed as you cross the border ( unlike cell phones).

Sorry, wrong answer, my older (Street Pilot i2) Garmin did NOT include Canada until I bought a North America update.

The newer Nuvi did include Canada, and Mexico and....
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Way up here in Canada we actually buy the same GPS models that are sold in the US. They work fine on both sides of the border. They use the same mapping data and the same GPS satellite system. There is no subscription needed as you cross the border ( unlike cell phones).

Make sure your maps are up to date. As per comment above for my current Garmmin NUVI I had to get a memory card to be able to load all the maps for western and eastern North America.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Tom Tom it works fine in both countries. We were on an old logging road, very far north in Ontario and all of a sudden it popped up on screen. It stayed on for the whole 30 miles. You can't ask for better than that.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
Have you updated your maps, and do you have coverage for Canada?

I just updated my older Novi maps and it is quite good. The new North America maps are large. Require an 8 gig SD card for all of the data. You have the option to load only regions into the GPS.

I have a 2014 Ford with Nav. It's maps are good but only as good as the base mapping used. I've seen errors in both Canada and the US. Often this is in new areas where houses and streets did not match original development plans.

Depending where you travel you may want to do frequent map updates.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Do you have full North America maps installed or just US? If Canada is not installed you will only get the most basic information about your travels North of the US border.

Agree. Not only that but the maps have to be updated periodically. Mine worked perfectly when we were in the Toronto area in 2012.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have full North America maps installed or just US? If Canada is not installed you will only get the most basic information about your travels North of the US border.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
It's not that the GPS is not working - maps and GPS searches are often poorer in Canada than in the USA.

My Garmin (Zumo 660) is pretty good but still not as good here as in US. Even the junk factory "NAV" in my Silverado behaves differently here.

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends if the unit has maps for both countries. I have a TomTom which has all the maps for the USA,Canada, and Mexico.