cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Digital cable TV converter?

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
Many cable co.'s are now converting over to digital cable TV.
I have two over the air digital converters for my front and rear Tv that work just fine.
Is there a generic digital cable tv converter box that will work with all the different cable TV companies that are out there.
A one size fits all just like the over the air digital converter box I now use?
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N
25 REPLIES 25

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
About what?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
Almost all campgrounds with cable are putting out a signal to the post that can be used without a specific cable company's cable box. They are not going to provide cable boxes to every RV that comes in. Some campgrounds convert the digital cable or satellite signal that they get to analog. Some put through both analog and digital signals. When you scan with your analog to digital converter box for channels you will see channels as they are locked in labeled as either analog or digital. All will play on your analog TV though the converter box that you have.

Sorry, not arguing here, however you are totally wrong. At least with the older TV sets that many of us still have in our rvs.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

Explorer
Explorer
Almost all campgrounds with cable are putting out a signal to the post that can be used without a specific cable company's cable box. They are not going to provide cable boxes to every RV that comes in. Some campgrounds convert the digital cable or satellite signal that they get to analog. Some put through both analog and digital signals. When you scan with your analog to digital converter box for channels you will see channels as they are locked in labeled as either analog or digital. All will play on your analog TV though the converter box that you have.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

MrWizard
Chris have you tested for QAM ?

i only have OTA broadcast and cannot test for QAM compatibility

thats why i posted iview which is speced as receiving QAM
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That converter/recorder in this thread will do both over the air and QAM/cable.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
QAM has been around since last century, Many CRT televisions and I very strongly suspect all the modern LCD/LED/Plasma jobs can decode it without modification. IN fact I have seen some with two or three different digital cable schemes (However I think that has to do more with channel frequency than encryption/encoding)

IF you need a "Special" box.. Then the camnpground should have em for rental. (or even just provide)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
I have two over the air digital converters for my front and rear Tv that work just fine

the OP is still using ANALOG tv'S

he's looking for a generic QAM converter for digital cable to analog/video output

maybe something like this 'Might' work

iView DTV converter

specs say QAM compatible (decode)
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Where I winter, they moved to Comcast digital but the CG has recievers to give out while staying. If you don't turn it in when you leave, they charge against your card. If you need a second reciever (for those with two tvs) you must go to the Comcast office and pick one up with the same restriction that if you don't return it they charge your card. Its not the best setup, but I don't find it to be too bad. The good side is if your there for several months, they have Internet service for $15 a month for first six months which works well for most people.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am currently watching digital cable in the campground here in Sequim, WA. No converter box required! Hopefully!, most campgrounds will provide this type service since if they do not the cable company's converter box will likely need to be installed at each TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
open in the clear NON-encrypted digital cable is QAM

yes there are Stand Alone Tuners that do QAM amongst OTA ATSC etc..
and output A/V and componet signals
you can find them in the Computer depart of Fry's and Best Buy , new egg etc..
BUT your cable company 'might' encrypt everything requiring that you must 'rent/use' one of their boxes

this one is from New Egg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100038

at $179 i think you will be happier getting the one from your cable company
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on if its scrambled or clear QAM. If scrambled, you're not going to find anything over the counter. If Clear QAM, most if not all digital TV receivers already do that
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350