Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Not Disturb While Driving mobile feature coming

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
This is brilliant!

It is coming for iPhone but should be a mandatory feature available for all mobile phones! Notice I don't have the opinion of having it forced "on" as you could also be a passenger in a moving car and should have the ability to not have it forced to on. However, I will be using this feature when it is available.

iPhone getting a 'Do Not Disturb While Driving' mode

MSN.com wrote:
Have you been trying to be a safer driver and not look at your phone while behind the wheel? Apple has an update in the works to help.

When iOS 11 comes to iPhones (and iPads) this fall, the new operating system will include a "Do Not Disturb While Driving" mode users can turn on. Apple's Senior Vice President of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced the new feature as part of its Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose.

Once the feature is turned on, your iPhone can tell when you may be driving and automatically mute your notifications so your screen remains dark. You can also set up your device to send your favorite contacts an automatic reply to tell them you are driving and will get back to them when you arrive.

"It's all about keeping your eyes on the road," Federighi said. "When you are driving you donโ€™t need to be responding to these kind of messages," he said as the mammoth screen at the San Jose Convention Center showed alerts for Tinder and games coming onto a phone.

Most contacts will receive a note saying, "I'll see your message when I get where I'm going," he said. But special contacts can be allowed to pass through so "you have the peace of mind that you can get contacted โ€ฆ and that message will go through," Federighi said.

"We think this is going to be a real important step in safety in the car," he said.

Texting and driving continues to be a hazard and has contributed to an increase in road fatalities. At least 46 states prohibit texting while driving โ€” and 14 states ban the use of handheld devices โ€” but public safety advocates have continued to look for more ways to decrease the practice.

A Israeli tech company Cellebrite and a New York man whose son died in a collision in which texting may have occurred is developing a "textalyzer" they hope can be used by law enforcement to see whether drivers' phones had been used recently.
I love me some land yachting
40 REPLIES 40

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
I don't care if folks use it, I just don't think it's a "great idea" or that it will prevent people from using their phones while driving.

We get it already and it doesn't take stating your disapproval 3 times for some of us to know you disapprove.

How about we agree to disagree? Better?

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If people are too stupid to turn off their phone when driving then this thing will do no good. Like "Click and Clack" always said: "Shut up and drive!".

Also, several studies have stated that hands-free phones are not any better than a handheld. It is the process of carrying on a conversation with a person that isn't present that presents the problem.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't care if folks use it, I just don't think it's a "great idea" or that it will prevent people from using their phones while driving.

Just like I don't care if you buy that ButterEZ. If you need a special gadget to cut your butter because using a knife is too difficult, then go for it. But don't get upset when folks think it's a stupid product.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Do we honestly think that someone that is so undisciplined would rely on this function to prevent them from using their phone. Or would they just occasionally turn it off or defeat it just to take a "quick" peek at what they have been missing.
I think one of the "features" you are missing is that the apps proactively inform the sender that you are driving and can't respond instantly. In this overly sensitive age people would think you are ignoring them. Now many people, myself included, really don't get concerned about that, but many do and I have also seen people get upset when they didn't get a response right away, completely ignoring the fact that someone might be driving or have forgotten to take their phone into the shower with them.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wait! I'm not allowed to use my Keurig in my RV? I must have missed that in the FAQ.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty evident that some find this feature appalling and that is great for you because we all know there are so many perfect people out there. This will make it easier for those folks who want to use it and find it useful, OK? I only posted this for those to know about it. I really don't care if you superior types don't find it useful.

Kind of similar to the Keurig thread where there are people complaining about others using a Keurig in their RV. What business is it of complete strangers if they don't approve of using a Keurig in an RV? Some of you really should get a life.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Do we honestly think that someone that is so undisciplined would rely on this function to prevent them from using their phone. Or would they just occasionally turn it off or defeat it just to take a "quick" peek at what they have been missing.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then put it on do not disturb or meeting mode, etc. Or just don't answer it.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Phone GPS systems do not work when the phone is turned off.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
ventrman wrote:
My Android Phone uses AT&t Drive Mode. When I hit 15 MPH, nobody can either call or text.

I don't get that. The reason people are driving under 15mph is because they are in areas that are congested with pedestrians - parking lots, school zones, neighborhoods, etc. Seems to me that's the time you DO NOT want drivers on the phone.

Get in the car, turn off the phone. Get out of the car, turn on the phone. Not that difficult and a lot safer.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
ummmm...couldn't ya just not answer the phone or turn it off?
\

X10!

just another well planned ploy by the 2 cell phone companies to get you to buy something, install it, they track you and all your habits, and the app eats up all of your data. The more apps you put on your phone the more data they eat up and you end up paying for more data. Which depending on how many apps you have can eat up a third of your data.

Why do you think they give most of these apps to you for free? So they can sell you bigger data plans which the apps 'still' eat up! It is a well thought out plan by the cell companies.:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
ummmm...couldn't ya just not answer the phone or turn it off?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Android has had "Driving mode" for some time. I don't use it, I just ignore the beast.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I just wish they would come up with an app that would block robo calls to my cell. I have the full hands free setup in the MH and like others have said, I just don't respond to texts while driving.

There is it is called NoMoRobo. It is available now for iPhone and in Beta test for Android.

Check it out:
NoMoRobo
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish they would come up with an app that would block robo calls to my cell. I have the full hands free setup in the MH and like others have said, I just don't respond to texts while driving.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select