cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easy way to transfer tons of old photos to flash drive

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
DW's been organizing our old photos (500-1000 or therabouts). I was looking for semi-quick and easy way to copy photos onto flash drive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
33 REPLIES 33

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
It is absolutely worth the time to get your family's memories into digital format. We raised three sons who are now in their 40's with their own children. I began scanning my 3000+ photos when I retired six years ago. Believe me, it was time consuming. I managed to place them plus thousands of more current digital photos into one file and use a collage screen saver software. Every family member who sees the screen saver will sit and stare at the collages for ever. I walk by and there always seems to be pictures I forgot in the collage.

I duplicated the picture file onto data DVDs for safe keeping and for other family members.

DH did the same. Every so often we add current pictures. Shakes up the screen saver.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
now I am getting even more confused. AIRecall, the OP had a bunch of old photos he wanted to digitize? once copied and in his computer he can pretty much dump them any where he wants to.
bumpy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with 1492 on this one. If are not editing the tapes, just moving them, this is the best way. If you need to edit them they either need to get onto a computer, or if you can find a Panasonic DVD recorder with built in hard drive, you can transfer everything onto the HD, trim them, and reorganize the clips any way you want when transferred to DVD. I did all mine in chronological order and it was a breeze.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Belgique wrote:
May I hijack a teeny bit: same question as the OP's but for VHS tapes to some type of electronic media?

On edit: found this http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-convert-vhs-to-dvd/article. This seems to cover everything?

There are a couple of ways to go about this. A hardware/software route which is very time consuming. For one, it's not real time. You have to first digitize the analog VHS footage to your computer, then author the video files for DVD playback, and burn the disc. This could easily take 3x-5x+ the actual footage time. The only real advantage of doing so is that you can edit the video before setting up your DVD.

A quicker real time solution is to get a DVD Recorder/ VHS set top combo. You can find them starting at about $150+. I've seen tons of used ones on EBAY. Even at thrift stores such as Goodwill, where I picked up a Sony for $12. Though I'd recommend you clean the VHS heads, and blow out any accumulated dust if doing so.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
It is absolutely worth the time to get your family's memories into digital format. We raised three sons who are now in their 40's with their own children. I began scanning my 3000+ photos when I retired six years ago. Believe me, it was time consuming. I managed to place them plus thousands of more current digital photos into one file and use a collage screen saver software. Every family member who sees the screen saver will sit and stare at the collages for ever. I walk by and there always seems to be pictures I forgot in the collage.

I duplicated the picture file onto data DVDs for safe keeping and for other family members.

ferretgrandpa
Explorer
Explorer
If you have lots of prints that need to be digitized, find Sam's club Photo department with the Kodak Rapid scanner kiosk. They claim it will scan and put onto a CD 200 4x6s in 10 minutes, in real life (I worked there), it was more like 11 minutes. You do the work, your photos are never out of your sight.
The cost a few years ago was $10 a disk, then it dropped down to the $2.24 per CD, I've been retired for about 2 years, so prices and availability may have changed.
Medical reasons took us off the road
98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
hershey wrote:
I was able to use a simple digital camera to take pictures of pictures that a relative absolutely wouldn't think of letting me or anyone remove from their home. They came out so well, I did the same thing when doing some research of court records. Probably not as good as a scanner, nor as good as a COSTCO would probably be but very viewable and useable.

I haven't done the math, but using my 24 mpix digital camera zoomed in on a 4x6 picture, has got to approach any reasonably priced flat bed scanner.
bumpy

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to use a simple digital camera to take pictures of pictures that a relative absolutely wouldn't think of letting me or anyone remove from their home. They came out so well, I did the same thing when doing some research of court records. Probably not as good as a scanner, nor as good as a COSTCO would probably be but very viewable and useable.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
just checked this out at Sam's Club and they carry the version 3 for $49.00. don't know what difference there is between V3 and V 5 and V7.
bumpy

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Thanks Bumpy. Found it at Sams on-line: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe. This is a link to it from Amazon clicky Gets good reviews. Of course, I threw the VHS player away a few months ago. They're easy to find though.

wonder what the version 7 for 7$ more has than the 5? don't know the version at sams.
bumpy

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bumpy. Found it at Sams on-line: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe. This is a link to it from Amazon clicky Gets good reviews. Of course, I threw the VHS player away a few months ago. They're easy to find though.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
May I hijack a teeny bit: same question as the OP's but for VHS tapes to some type of electronic media?

On edit: found this http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-convert-vhs-to-dvd/article. This seems to cover everything?

sams club had a device for about $60 that had a USB output and RCA plug inputs designed for such conversion. supposedly would work with any device that outputs via RCA?
bumpy

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you wish to copy entire folders then this works through XP, and I suspect beyond.

Open the folder you wish to transfer and press CTRL-A (This should highlight all the files in that folder, the translation (or drop down menu path) is "EDIT | SELECT ALL)

Now oress CTRL-C (EDIT | COPY)

Now open the Flash Drive, if necessary create a folder on that drive and open that folder and press CTRL-V (Edit | Paste).

Sit back.

ALternate.

Find the folder you wish to copy... Then back up one level, highlight the folder and choose EDIT | COPY or right click and choose copy or CTRL-C

now go to the flash drive and EDIT | Paste or Ctrl-V

This **SHOULD** copy the folder and it's contents but I can not guarantee. the first method copies all files within the folder.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer

Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X