cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin Nuvi battery issue?

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450. Almost 10 years old. Just recently it has developed a few issues: (in no particular order)
1. Reboots
2. Shows "connected to computer" even though it isnt.
3. Says "lost external power" even when it's plugged in
4. Shows low battery/won't charge

Have tried more than one cord, so doubt that it's the cord.

Is this a symptom of a battery that needs replaced? ($25 replacement from Amazon) Or, is it a more sinister problem?

TIA if you have any insights into this!
12 REPLIES 12

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
There is a site on Google that repairs the 1450 and or replaces the battery at a very reasonable price if you are not a DIY person.

I had the same problem you are experiencing and it finally locked up on the CPU screen I elected to upgrade when the newer referb units were on sale I wanted the newer features glad I did.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have same 1450, battery, same problem, ordered battery/kit. Replaced battery with some effort, worked ok for a year, then battery would not charge. Took the thing to Batteries+, they installed new battery while I waited. This was two years ago and all is well.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I also have battery issues with my Garmin, Almost from new the battery won't take a charge at all. But that doesn't bother me much since I always plug it in to the 12volt accessory jack. If I try to run it on battery it shuts down in a few seconds.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Garmin Drive 60 USA LM GPS Navigator System with Lifetime Maps, Spoken Turn-By-Turn Directions, Direct Access, Driver Alerts, and Foursquare Data (Certified Refurbished)

for $75.00.
bumpy

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a Garmin Nuvi that's at least that old, if not older.. The battery holds a charge for about 10 minutes when 'charged' to full...

I don't have those other symptoms you have while plugged in, so not sure if just changing the battery will resolve all of that..

I did get the lifetime map updates from day one, and it still updates to this day.

As far as I know, even if I get a new Garmin, the same lifetime map update will work with it too, but I don't feel the need to get a new one at this point..

It works great, has options for different voices and icons and I like that! I have been using the "Dr Nightmare" voice forever and it's just dang funny..

Anyway, I know my phone map apps are better, but I still pull out the Garmin on my camping trips!

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I have the same unit as yours. I ordered a battery kit from E-bay for it. It worked great for close to one year and it stopped taking a charge. I put my old original battery back in it and it's still working. I plug it in whenever I get in the vehicle and unplug it when done. Some day when it finally quits for good, I'll replace it, but not before.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Hard one to call. You could replace the battery and see what happens or buy a new unit with lifetime maps. That would be my choice.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Batteries are only rented, that one is years and years beyond a normal life.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Battery with replacement tools is about $12 on eBay. There are videos on Youtube to show you how its done.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Electronic item kept in a vehicle that lasts 10 years...pretty good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I have a very old unit also. The only problem with it is that the battery won't hold charge and it must be connected to a 12 volt power supply when in use.

Sounds like your unit is ready to be retired.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you still have a 10 year old Garmin you should contemplate getting a new one. Could be battery, could just be suffering from old age.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT