cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin V Rand McNally

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I know I am treading on thin ice here as I am playing with favorites (like Ford V Chevy, Diesel V Gas, Garmin V Rand McNally). However, these are my thoughts on the new Garmin 770 RV GPS unit.

I have had two Rand McNally GPS units over the last several years. They seem to break around the 2 - 2.5 year mark and for this reason I chose to replace my latest broken GPS with the Garmin 770.

I used it on a trip last week. We went to Pine Island Fl (just in time for Alberto to hit!). The GPS worked flawlessly getting me there (including the weather picture!).

The issues I had with it however will cause me to return the unit and get another Rand McNally.

1. The unit will not stay on the dash. It has a suction device with lever that should keep the unit upright, but my GPS fell about 10-12 times. Garmin suggests sticking to windshield but my window is about 2 feet away from me making it hard to see and touch.

2. Doesn't come with a plug in the wall cord/adaptor so charging is done via cigarette lighter.

3. Requires my smart phone to be connected for weather and traffic. When I am not using my GPS - phone still has an active blue tooth link - burning my battery in the phone.

4. The manual is in the GPS and is limited as to what it has in it. I still do not know how to find RV campgrounds on my route.

5. It advertises "live Link" which is an app that allows friends to follow you. Never got it to work. I just keep getting the blue ring of death icon.

6. Very difficult to get the local time. It's there just buried in several panels back.

7. Does not present which lane to get in when coming to a major interstate intersection. This is a big deal when driving in a new city with traffic. A voice comes up and says -once - get in one of the left three lanes.

The Rand McNally is just more driver friendly. It has a second screen that has most of the metrics a driver would want and it fairly straight forward in getting to them.

The weather app on the Garmin is nicer (gives wind). The Rand McNally has a god awful touch screen system as sometimes you have to push a letter 2 or 3 times to get it to take.

Overall - for me - I will take the Rand McNally RV GPS unit over the GArmin.
7 REPLIES 7

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
There is a detailed manual online for the RV 770
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a CD this works well.GPS mount
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our RND 7720 back in Dec 2012 and have used it at least seven months per year since with no problems. We do update it at least once a year and are glad that it not only updates the maps but the operating system as well. When it started giving us split screens a few years ago at interstate intersections, that was a definite improvement. Its touch screen does aggravate on occasion when it wants to be cantankerous but we love it and it has kept us out of some sticky situations over the years. However, I never depend on it to take me where I want without verifying the route using Google maps so I can make sure it goes the way I want by adding waypoints. It's POIs are some of the best and it is definitely designed for RVers.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin Dezl 760LMT and it's ok if in "car" mode but if you are in RV or Truck mode, forget it. On my last camping trip, it wanted me to travel 45 minutes past my exit, going way out of my way because it had no idea if there were low bridges etc. on the State Highways I needed to go on. It likes Interstates and that's about all it likes. If campgrounds or Tractor Trailer Distribution centers were on the shoulders of the Interstates, It would be great but I've never seen them there. I wish Google Maps had a Low Bridge or tight navigation option for us RVers to use.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Garmin VS Rand McNally.....Google Maps / WAZE wins!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
No real argument here because I've never experienced the RM devices. But I do like my Garmin 700 dezl.

KO wrote:

The issues I had with it however will cause me to return the unit and get another Rand McNally.

1. The unit will not stay on the dash. It has a suction device with lever that should keep the unit upright, but my GPS fell about 10-12 times. Garmin suggests sticking to windshield but my window is about 2 feet away from me making it hard to see and touch.

Garmin makes all sorts of mounts. There are also aftermarket mounts available.
Garmin makes all sorts of mounts. There are also aftermarket mounts available.

2. Doesn't come with a plug in the wall cord/adaptor so charging is done via cigarette lighter.

Can be charged from any usb power adapter

3. Requires my smart phone to be connected for weather and traffic. When I am not using my GPS - phone still has an active blue tooth link - burning my battery in the phone.

Yes it does. I use my phone along with the Garmin while driving anyways.

4. The manual is in the GPS and is limited as to what it has in it. I still do not know how to find RV campgrounds on my route.

You can find the complete, downloadable, manual on Garmin's web site.

5. It advertises "live Link" which is an app that allows friends to follow you. Never got it to work. I just keep getting the blue ring of death icon.

Have never looked at this. probably not available on all models.

6. Very difficult to get the local time. It's there just buried in several panels back.

Nothing to say about this.

7. Does not present which lane to get in when coming to a major interstate intersection. This is a big deal when driving in a new city with traffic. A voice comes up and says -once - get in one of the left three lanes.

I have never experienced this issue, Have you used Garmin Express to be sure maps are updated?

The Rand McNally is just more driver friendly. It has a second screen that has most of the metrics a driver would want and it fairly straight forward in getting to them.

The weather app on the Garmin is nicer (gives wind). The Rand McNally has a god awful touch screen system as sometimes you have to push a letter 2 or 3 times to get it to take.

Overall - for me - I will take the Rand McNally RV GPS unit over the GArmin.

Good luck with whatever device you choose to stay with. I think familiarity has a lot to do with usability in these devices.
2014 Allegro 36LA

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Garmin Drive Smart 51/61.

1: I have the portable "bean bag" GPS holder, which has no problem staying put on my curved dash.
2-6: these are not of much concern to me, so I won't comment.
7: not only tells you which lane to be in, but it automatically displays an actual video picture of the highway lanes when you approach an interstate intersection.