cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Instant Messenger App

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully someone can help me. I have AT&T unlimited call and text.

My friend has AT&T (company phone) with a limited plan.

Even though we are AT&T to AT&T...she will still be using up her plan to call or text me.

Can anyone recommend an "Instant Messenger" app that we can download on our phones that will not affect her company phone plan?

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. She will use the WiFi.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The tip about her using WiFi somewhere is the key. Your iPhones came already with both an instant messenger program called "Messages," and a video conference program called "FaceTime." They both work great, no need to download anything. And regardless of carrier, using Wifi solves the problem.

(Before anybody whines about my assumption that they both had iPhones, I must point out that the OP didn't say what phones were involved, so all I can do is assume -- either that they have Apple phones, or that they don't. I made my choice.)

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I will be surprised if the 'company phone' even has data.

Depends on how cheap the company is. My DW works for a union hall and has a company phone and iPad both with great data plans.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will be surprised if the 'company phone' even has data.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
connect the limited phone to wifi at McD's, SB's, home network, etc. Use your choice of chat program - Google Hagnouts, Microsoft Skype, Snapchat, etc.

Chats will be transmitted over Wifi and will not cost data.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Two tin cans and a long string. No voice or data charges.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicats deleted. sorry
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of chat clients that will use data instead of text messages. When the device is connected to a Wifi network, the data should not be logged/metered to the carrier's data network.. WhatsApp, Google Chat/Hangouts, Facebook messenger, etc.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
The OP didn't say anything about personal usage.
Not in those specific words. If this was company business why would the OP be asking?

OP, if you're trying to 'not affect' the company plan, how do you plan on hiding data usage? I don't get it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
She's using a company phone for personal stuff?

The OP didn't say anything about personal usage. Maybe the OP is trying to save money for the friend's company? :W

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom...thank you. I understand what you are saying, didn't think about the data part.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
She's using a company phone for personal stuff?

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
I am guessing that her plan is also limited in data so *anything* you use will affect her phone plan.

But if she pays by the text message then using any kind of instant messaging app (like WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, Facebook Messenger) would avoid those limits and use data instead. As far as data goes these apps don't use much relatively.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K