cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet, Satellite, who has the best cost

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking to start extensive travelling, as in, a few months at a time. We both use the internet. We want a decent selection of television stations. Our heads are spinning with all the options. At home we have Comcast cable TV, internet,land line home phone, and Verizon cell phones.We are open to changing any or all of these to make things more portable. The biggest factor is coming down to cost. You guys have done the shopping. Made all the mistakes. What is the most cost effective way to have decent services when we are away from home? Any suggestions or opinions are more than welcome.
Thanks

Boondocking and rv park
cell phone hot spot, or Jet pack modem?
Direct TV or Dish network?
Tri pod dish or tailgator ?
How much data?

We will spend this weekend going from retailer to retailer. Oh Boy ๐Ÿ˜ž
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know but if you check the time stamp you can be assured that I did not move 150 mile those few minutes!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Bill, how come the verizon server shows that it is 250 miles to Spokane and First Step is only 100 miles to Spokane?

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Millenicom 20 gig plan (Verizon) and my little buddy (MiFi). $69.99 no add-ons. Runs on Verizon.

I have an Iphone 5 and use the Straight Talk unlimited everything plan (talk, text, Data) for $45/month. Note that it is not really unlimited data, even though they say it is. This plan also runs on the Verizon system FOR THIS PHONE (Network assignment varies depending on which phone you have). I did have to buy the phone outright. Straight Talk has lots of phone choices but you should always do your homework to find out which network they run on as Straight Talk uses several networks, even for the same plan.

I also have a Wilson Sleek for the truck and the home/office kit for the 5th wheel. It looks like I gain 2 bars using the Sleek.

I set the MiFi in the Sleek and let it be my router. Computer and printer use it and I've also set the phone to look for it and use it instead of the Straight Talk plan if I'm using the router. The object is not to rile up the Straight Talk folks for using too much data on my phone. I don't bother to stick the MiFi in my pocket if I leave the home base. The phone just switches to it's original Straight Talk (Verizon) network.

Everything runs on the Verizon network.

I will probably get the Dish Tailgater for my TV reception.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dish Tailgater for TV and Freedom pop for internet.Freedom pop is on Sprint 3G cheapest I found, works most places. Fast enough for Email.

kjburns
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I use Verizon and Dish. Verizon has better coverage in the remote areas we've visited and we have Dish at home. We have the 6GB shared data plan with unlimited phone and text. It's plenty for our needs. The mobile hotspot speeds are more than adequate for work and just browsing as Bill's image shows.
2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Dish Pay as you go.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought you also might be interested in my 4G speeds here:
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RV parks have really bad cable and really bad wireless internet. The choice is yours. Depend on others or pay for services to ensure a happy life style. What's important to one has nothing to do with what's important to you.
Figure out what you "require" and make that your starting point.
I am currently in Clarkston, WA connected to the parks WiFi hoping to save some of my cellular GB's. As long as you can remain patient, it does help, but it can be a really painful experience to by-pass the 4G service available in this area and just try to get by with this:

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV parks have cable and wireless internet. If you're not boondocking a lot, then you might as well save the monthly fees.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Much depends upon how much internet usage you think you will have. Millenicom is an excellent service but if you don't need 20GB/month then you are wasting money. You may want to start monitoring your current usage to see what's what.
Most travelers find the Verizon has the most cellular coverage and their 4G coverage is far superior. I use the Verizon Share Everything plan which allows me to connect 2 smart phones plus a data card (not really necessary but a nice convenience in my opinion) to one account and share one data package with all devices. If I need more data it costs $10/2GB and if I have a low usage month I can back off and get a credit.
My average usage run between 6GB and 10GB a month. The SE plan allows unlimited voice and messaging as well.
As to TV, if you are still going to be in an RV part time then the best option is Dish Network as they offer a Pay-as-you-go package. You buy the hardware but you can sign up for a short service period (as little as 30 days) and when that period ends the service simply stops. If you were going to be traveling 6 months on (or more) and 6 months off then either service will work and you can get free equipment as you are allowed to suspend your service for up to 6 months/year.
When you look at the pricing you will find many plans. The cheapest plans likely to not have your favorite TV channels, so be sure to read the details.
You will also be able to get a lot of FREE OTA TV channels. If you can get by with just the major Networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and a few minor ones) then your roof mounted OTA TV antenna will provide you with excellent, high quality, digital HD TV as long as you are parked close enough to the TV tower to receive the signal.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Millenicom for internet. Either DirecTV or Dish for Television. That is your best solutions. Millenicom uses Verizon 4G system and offers 20GB per month for $70 dollars

X-2

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Millenicom for internet. Either DirecTV or Dish for Television. That is your best solutions. Millenicom uses Verizon 4G system and offers 20GB per month for $70 dollars

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
It also depends on where you intend to camp.
Are you boondocking or staying in campgrounds etc.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

docj
Explorer
Explorer
This is a complex topic because each of your questions: TV, internet and phone have multiple options and there are no right or wrong answers for any of them.

My suggestion is that you use the Search function at the left side top of the page and read some of the many threads on these topics. After you have done some reading, you'll be better able to formulate some specific questions and the forum membership will be happy to answer them.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels