Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Millenicom replacement

WesL
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys,

A few years ago I found some info on Millenicom on this forum and another forum. Millenicom offered a pretty good data plan with Verizon at a great deal. Over time they went up in price and finally Verizon cut them off and offered deals to their customers at a hefty price. This was good for me as a storm chaser but was still expensive.

Well last year Huntsville City Schools in Huntsville, AL started a big digital transition. They have got rid of textbooks and replaced them with laptops. All kids have a laptop now and they encountered another problem. Kids with no internet at home. So they partnered with Verizon and started a great deal where parents get a Verizon MiFi router at a good price.

Well earlier in August they opened their program to the general public. There is no geographic restriction for use or purchase. The MiFi router is included and the best news is it is UNLIMITED 4g LTE data over Verizon for only $47.75 a month.

I've used it all over the US including Chicago and Nashville within the last few weeks and I have had no issues with it at home.

If you are interested head to http://hsvwifi.com

Thanks again for all the great info in the past - hope you guys enjoy this service.

Wes
131 REPLIES 131

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, no shipping notice. It did ship the next day as promised, however.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

MrWizard
I tried a sim adapter several years ago between my phone and my tablet
While card went in, I never got a Verizon data connection ( the Motorola Xoom tablet came from Verizon)

On the other hand I swapped the sim from a thunder bolt into a Samsung galaxy (no adapter) and it did work

So good luck with the sim swap,

These hotspots come preconfigured ready to go, so the sim might be locked to the device ID

You are in an excellent position to find and tell us all the little Quirks

BTW..Did you get a shipping notice before it arrived
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I meant SIM. I just want to move the SIM from the MiFi and install it in my Pantech Air Card which is plugged into my Cradlepoint. I am sure the adapter exists, just likely need to go by Best Buy.
However, I just got a call that I am going to need to fly out and drive a truck 7-8 days from CA to FL so taking the MiFi along will be a great option.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

MrWizard
SIM is a card for inside, it identifies your cellular device to the 4G network

do you mean micro usb to mini usb, there are (4) different USB connectors
the std USB used on PC's and hubs, the USB 'B' first used on printers and external drives, then mini and micro

I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Now I just have to get an adapter from micro SIM (MiFi) to the Mini SIM (Cradlepoint) so I can install the MiFi SIM in my Cradlepoint.

Bill, check with Cradlepoint support. They may support USB tethering the 6620L to the router. My Pepwave handles my 4620L that way. I'll have to see if it will also work with the OmniLynx 6620L when it gets here.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now I just have to get an adapter from micro SIM (MiFi) to the Mini SIM (Cradlepoint) so I can install the MiFi SIM in my Cradlepoint. It's quite likely I have my terms mixed up so please correct me so I can get the right hardware. The other possibility is that I will just drop the Cradlepoint and use the MiFi to connect the printer to our devices. Haven't tried it and I don't currently use any of the WAN/LAN options on the Cradlepoint but I am thinking about using a hardwired connection from my external WiFi antenna to a LAN port on the Cradlepoint to eliminate one of my many WiFi broadcasts.

MrWizard
that's good news
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered mine (order #1822) on Sept. 2nd and I just received it today. Between my posts and the school district orders they have sold over 500 units since I ordered mine. Be patient!
I am posting using their device here in Texas.

MrWizard
my order #1966, got the same email, no other word yet
this was a holiday weekend, and school is back in session most places, which i would certainly give priority too, if I had a limited number in stock
i'm guessing..we might be back ordered for a few days at least
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got theirs yet? Or a shipping notice? I ordered one on 9/3, #2048, and received an email on 9/4 confirming the purchase. The same email states that I will get another email when it ships.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

Old_Techie
Explorer
Explorer
If alarmed about the X-UHID header, a reading of VZ's and OmniLynx's posted privacy policies might help. VZ does have an available opt out policy. Your apps and browser might also provide tracking exposure.
2007 Winnebago Tour

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
For those using OPEN DNS.

Due to Verizon tagging X-UHID you can no longer use Open DNS.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

MrWizard
stand alone service, payments go directly to the Huntsville school system
service is administered by OmniLynx , which is a Value added retailer like Millencom was and straight talk ,budget, metro pcs ...etc..
except this is data Only
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not going to be a part of any shared data plan. It's a stand alone service. You will still need to pay for a minimal level of data for your phones.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF:

a) Verizon is actually providing anything over 20G 4g data (let alone unlimited)
b) it's available all over the US when travelling
c) it's available on the shared data plan
d) it's not throttled 12 hours a day
e) it's under $50 a month

SIGN ME UP.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman