cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with Direct TV hook up

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to help a friend hook up his Direct TV receiver in his motor home. The receiver only has HDMI out.

How can we hook the receiver up to the distribution box in the motor home so he can watch satellite on the bedroom tv?

Is there an HDMI to rf cable converter?

I'm sure other people have solved this issue.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.
15 REPLIES 15

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you do a search on Amazon for 'HDMI to RCA' one item listed is:
HDMI to RCA

You will then need an RF modulator to convert video and audio to RF.
CRF907R Compact RF Modulator
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Edit: link did not work. See below
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

schneid
Explorer
Explorer
HDMI is the way to go for now. I use a powered 5 to 1 combiner to accept DTV, DVD, Roku, Chromecast with an extra HDMI In that is then split to two sets by a powered HDMI spitter. For surround you need to use the Digital Audio Outs on the set to a small decoder like a sound bar. If you have the space, you can set it all up with an AV Reeceiver that distributes the HDMI to the set and speakers. I am hard-wired and use DTV RF remotes.

campguy3040
Explorer
Explorer
Two options if you have only one Satellite receiver active: 1.HDMI powered splitter/combiner (1 into 2). This means a new long HDMI cable to 2nd TV.
2. Wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. Satellite receiver sends RF signal to 2nd TV via RF transmitter and is received at 2nd TV by a RF receiver (output is in HD). I use one at home and its works good.
In the MH, I use a powered splitter to mirror a receiver to the outdoor TV. The HDMI cable run was, in this case, very easy. This approach eliminates modulators and RCA cable non-HD resolution. Picture quality is great and in HD. Set up the sat rec'vr remote to RF and remote works outside too.
Maybe some day, mfr's will convert their AV cables and distribution boxes to HDMI.
2012 Winnebago Vista, Triple Slide Ford F53.
Blue Ox Tiger Trak track bar, RoadMaster Reflex Steering,&
"Cheep Handling Fix"
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar w/Patriot Brake System
Chevy HHR toad.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you are getting some confusing information. If you look to the back of your receiver you should have both an HDMI output plus at least a red/white/yellow RCA type connection. If you want to view programming in HD you must locate a separate DirecTV receiver at each TV. If you only need HD at the TV where your one receiver is located you can buy an RF Modulator which will converter the RCA red/white/yellow connections to a coax output which you can feed into the video control center. All TV's will see the one channels selected on that receiver and all other TV's will see programming in SD and not HD.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be done, but may be expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=860069&is=REG&Q=&A=details
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
The Direct TV H24 has HDMI and analog audio/video out. Connect the HDMI to the front TV and use a converter for the rear TV.

RCA CRF907 Compact RF Modulator (CRF-907)
View other RCA products
Model: CRF907
Availability: Usually Ships Same Day
Auto-Switching automatically detects the incoming video source.Allows connection of an audio/video component such as a DVD player, video game system, or camcorder.
? Converts audio/video to RF channel 3 or 4
? Auto Switching
? Ideal for DVD, gaming, cameras and camcorders
? Stereo Audio Input
? Dimensions: 2.3" H x 6.5" W x 10.7" D
Our Price: $16.99
MSRP: $21.99 You Saved $5.0
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

JerryofWV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know the model of the receiver, but it only has HDMI outputs.

I guess the best way to get it to the other tv is to upgrade his receiver.
Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy a $30 1:2 HDMI out splitter (or 1:3 or 1:4 or whaever) and run the other line(s) to have an additional "out". Of course, you watch the same programming on all channels.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the receiver is a H25 HD receiver or H24. They only have 1 output, especially since you stated HDMI. Plus no way can you use a distribution box.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

vtbig
Explorer
Explorer
What DirecTV receiver do you have? Some receivers have a "TV Out" connector on the back as well as an HDMI. You can run a cable from the TV Out to your bedroom or use an existing cable already in place.
Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011
8.1 Workhorse/Allison

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
This is technology advancing. When we picked up our new Tioga last year, the tech showing it to us said the distribution boxes were very antiquated because modern TVs have multiple inputs. No way in my RV to show a DVD in the bedroom except with its own DVD player.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make a wireless transmitter for DirecTV that makes for an easy hook-up. Wireless HDMI