Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New IE Vulnerability: XP Users Take Note

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Microsoft Warns of Attacks on IE Zero-Day

I know the XP topic has been covered extensively and that most XP users here are wise enough to not be IE users, but just in case anyone is still using IE on XP you really need to switch browsers now.

Please note that anti-malware and anti-virus software is not necessarily going to protect you against this kind of issue.

You simply are not safe using IE on XP.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K
46 REPLIES 46

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of our PCs at work are still running Win XP Pro (SP3). Just for grins, I ran Windows Update this morning and it pulled down 12 different security patches/updates - including the new security fix for older versions (in this case v8 for XP) of Internet Explorer. Going to try the same on a couple of XP machines at home this evening...
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

sue.t wrote:

Further with Google, Gmail isn't private. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/15/gmail-scans-all-emails-new-google-terms-clarify

Why does Google need to collect so much data about people and their habits? I'll stick with https://duckduckgo.com/ for internet searching.

So does Yahoo Mail, which clearly states in their terms of service that they scan incoming/outgoing emails for marketing purposes.

But in reality, all the major free email providers scan user's emails electronically. They have to in order to use their spam/malware filtering systems. The question is what do they do with the scanned data? You really don't know if the data is being analyzed or stored for other purposes now or in the future, and not just for spam/malware filtering?

Other than using strong encryption for the message itself, you should assume that emails are not private.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
People always seem to jump on the Microsoft sucks bandwagon when this kind of thing happens.

If you were a hacker, which platform would you most likely choose to target? The least popular? No, you'd hit the one with the most users and MS is the dominant force in this case.

Googles revenue depends on them knowing your habits - information which helps them target and sell ads. Did you ever search for a grill on Amazon, and then minutes later see grills advertised on all the web pages you visit?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:

Further with Google, Gmail isn't private. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/apr/15/gmail-scans-all-emails-new-google-terms-clarify

Why does Google need to collect so much data about people and their habits? I'll stick with https://duckduckgo.com/ for internet searching.

If you didn't pay for the product, you ARE the product.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting comment at the end of the CNET article:

Robert Hansen, the vice president of WhiteHat Security's advanced technology group, said that he was surprised at the visceral reaction that the US and UK governments, as well as many individuals, had to the vulnerability.

"The bug itself was really bad, of course, but it was surprising to see such a knee-jerk reaction from the community, telling people to switch from Internet Explorer," he said. "All browsers have had similar issues in the past, and never received that sort of general warning."

Firefox issued critical updates too at the end of April.
https://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

The only time my desktop had an issue with a browser, it was Google Chrome. After an uninstall and thorough clean of all Google apps from my system, no more BSOD. The issue was the Google Updater, which repeatedly crashed my system. Once Google Updater was gone, the problem was gone. So no more Chrome for me.

I'll stick with IE, why jump from the frying pan to the fire?
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
the issue affected IE 6 through 11 and allowed attackers to install malware on your computer without your permission that could be used to steal personal data, track online behavior, or gain control of the computer. This most often is caused by the user clicking on links or opening attachments in emails from unknown sources - phishing.

Microsoft has correct the problem - even for IE versions 6, 7, and 8 which only run on XP. If you have automatic updtes turned on, you should have received it. If not, go to All Programs, Microsoft Update, and check for updates. Click here for details
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
You can't remove IE entirely so I wouldn't bother. Just don't use it.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
so when I download Firefox do I need to uninstall IE?
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Have they come out with a patch for the IE problem. Its been long enough for them to work something out.
Don
If you're referring to the issue addressed in the original post a fix was released today. The fix is also being released for XP. Check Windows Update now.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
Have they come out with a patch for the IE problem. Its been long enough for them to work something out.

It's coming in next Tuesday's distro.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

VE3ESN wrote:

We have an older Acer Aspire Netbook that runs XP. Would I be wise to use a thumb drive that's loaded with, for example, Linux Puppy to boot the machine? I'd like to continue using the Firefox browser if possible. Would doing this be a good way to get some extra life out of an older machine that still has plenty of life left in it?

That's fine. You could even setup another Linux distro to dual-boot, give you the option for Linux or WIN, once you're comfortable Linux is working for your particular hardware and software needs.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a notice at work about the out-of-band update containing the fix and it looks like XP users get the update too.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
Not meaning to hijack the thread with this question but here goes:

We have an older Acer Aspire Netbook that runs XP. Would I be wise to use a thumb drive that's loaded with, for example, Linux Puppy to boot the machine? I'd like to continue using the Firefox browser if possible. Would doing this be a good way to get some extra life out of an older machine that still has plenty of life left in it?

Since we have been using this netbook at public wifi sites when traveling, the thought of continuing with XP scares me.

All suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
bwanshoom wrote:

As yet, there is no patch for this issue on any OS. When a patch is released it will not be for XP. That and the fact that the current mitigation options involving EMET 4.1 will not work on XP make this a larger problem for XP users.

Not an XP prob at all if using FF or Chrome.

I suspect that by now, the only XP machines using IE (maybe IE8) are big institutions whose employees are hard to retrain or whose software is too tied in to MS. These institutions (and all of us)are paying for MS security patches for their XP boxes, so even they are safe using IE.

The most common users of the more recent and SO MUCH MORE SECURE MS software (IE 9, 10, 11) appear to be the primary hacker targeted victims of the current exploit.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy