cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on Dish Tailgater?

tlemon
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with Dish tailgater and would you recommend it? If not what is another option?
25 REPLIES 25

ogfalconsr
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Big Katuna wrote:
I am going with a Winegard Pathway X2. It has a bigger dish and works better in the rain, it gets DISH eastern AND western arc so better chances of getting a signal and it supports two boxes.

We've been using the Pathway X2 for a year now (full-timers) and are very happy with it. We have HD on all channels and a hard drive connected to the 211Z receiver to record programs when we're not at home. The only times we've had to do without TV was when we were in "tropical rain forest" conditions with a tree canopy so thick and complete that there was no way to get a signal.

Rob

I agree! I have the Pathway X2 and use two receivers in the coach and have had very good service from it.
Gene & Robin Somogyi
Proud Parents of an Air Force Fighter Pilot
2015 3500 Chevy CC/Duramax/Allison/4X4
2005 Discover America LS 33.5RLTG
Two (his & her) 2003 SeaDoo GTX 4Tec Supercharged toys
2006 EZ-Go 6Passenger Cart

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
We love ours.
God Bless!

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
We have the older tailgater and we have used it for several years. We love it. May upgrade to the newer one later.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
jsum wrote:
tlemon wrote:
Has anyone had experience with Dish tailgater and would you recommend it? If not what is another option?

I wouldn't get ANYTHING to do with dish

Specifically why?

I had Directv for about 20 years and switched to DISH about 9 mos ago and I have not had any unpleasant experiences.

Tech support is the same; sometimes you get someone that knows a lot and sometimes you don't.

Aiming the dish is the same tho DISHs dish is smaller and stores easier.

DISH is way easier to deal with changing service addresses.

DISH is less expensive; free HD and DVR for life.

As a new customer I got 190 channels for 24 mo for $49/MO, free premiums for 3 mos, Hopper with a Joey. And free Netflix for a year.

And a $100 gift card for signing up thru Good Sams.

No complaints here.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
tlemon wrote:

Search the *Technology Corner* forum here - for satellite info and lots of Tailgater threads/posts.

Or - simply do a search here (on the 5th wheel forum) - but don't limit it to 5th wheels.

~

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
jsum wrote:
tlemon wrote:

OK, so what is your suggestion ?

Direct, if using a tripod, and satellite dish. Dish is very difficult at times to get reception. , but we are talking automatic, so I can't see why Dish is any worse then Direct.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
jsum wrote:
tlemon wrote:

OK, so what is your suggestion ?

jsum
Explorer
Explorer
tlemon wrote:

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
We've had the Tailgator for 2 1/2 years works fine our problem has been the Dish customer service when changing location and receiving local channels takes at least 2 calls to get them.

I usually had good luck with the techs when changing locations and wanting the new local channels but sometimes not, so I started just using the 'chat' feature on their site. The easy way is to write up all the boilerplate info in 'Word' (account number, etc) and have it ready to go, then add in your new location when you move and do a Paste into the chat box. Putting it in print also pretty much insures the Dish POC will get you the right locals. Done in about a minute and 15 minutes later you have the new locals. Easy-Peasy. I don't think you even need to log in to use the Chat feature.

And for the record, I've been fulltiming for 3 years now with a Winegard Pathway X2 and love it. Has a larger dish then the Tailgater, can access either the eastern or western sets of satellites, and has two cable outputs so you can hook up to two TVs and watch different channels as long as they come off the same satellite.

To the OP - You might do a search as this subject gets discussed every week.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
a year ago when I was shopping I ended up with a Winegard Carryout G2. It will get Dish, DirectTV or Bell. even though I've had Dish at home for about 3 years I didn't want to lock in the RV to just one provider.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the Tailgater for I think going on four years now. It seems to work very well, given the small size of the dish. We were on Prince Edward Island this summer, and we were still able to get some channels. It seems surprisingly durable, since I have knocked it around in the truck and the camper quite a bit, and it hasn't affected its performance. The technology may be getting dated by now.

Remember that to watch one show and record another requires a two tuner receiver, and the 211 (which works with the Tailgater) only has one. You can easily hook an external hard drive to the 211 to record shows when you are not watching; however, and this works very well.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we had DishTV the Tailgaters was great. Loved it over an actual tripod style. Finally canceled Dish,completely because of rising costs.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I am going with a Winegard Pathway X2. It has a bigger dish and works better in the rain, it gets DISH eastern AND western arc so better chances of getting a signal and it supports two boxes.

We have the Winegard Pathway X2 and it works great. I think the Tailgater is also a good system but the Winegard now seems to be the way to go with it's improved features.

Early on there were some complaints about the technicians not knowing how to set you up when you moved positions, but that now seems to be a thing of the past. The techs now quickly set you up with no problems.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Arcamper wrote:

The Wally is their newest receiver that is suppose to replace the 211k and z at some point according to Dish. Look on the Dish website and you can learn all about it.

Thanks for the info. I did some research and it seems it still isn't a DVR and, although you can still add an external HD, you still can't watch 1 show while recording another.

What is so freakin' difficult about this?

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS