cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Safe gaurds when filling out Facebook registration

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Found ItSome time ago there was a discussion regarding facebook and keeping your identity concealed. Someone here posted his recommendations like don't use your real name, don't post any pictures that could identify you, A bunch of stuff that I wanted to reread because some members of my family only post pictures to Facebook and won't or don't know how to bundle them and send them in an email. Sometimes things happen and we hear about it through our kids.

There are some people who if I had a Facebook page would be asking me to friend them and I do not want to start a family feud over refusing to friend them. Yes there is one branch of my family that feel I ignore them and when I mentioned that the phone rings on both ends, and for several years I heard from other family members the trash talk about me and mine that came from that branch of the family.

So for than and a variety of other reason, I'd like to register with Facebook but anonymously. If the poster sees this will you contact me and tell me when you posted the information or send we a PM with the information.

TIA

Here is the url for the post I was looking for. Facebook security tips
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
25 REPLIES 25

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The OP here, I have read and reread this thread and I have learned a lot from you guys but I still wanted to look at that old post, SO;

I went through about three of the 1" and two 1.5" three ring binders I have and eight or ten folders in my desk and "YIPPIE" I found the post I wanted to read. I linked it in my original post and now I think I have a path to creating a FB account the using your suggestions and after learning about some of the security features that are built into FB, the DW and I will have an anonymous FB account.

Thank all of you for being interested enough to answer and especially those who have "Been There and Done That".
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
As soon as you need to tell someone this is my secret name so you can friend them and see their private page that anonymity will slowly trickle away.
I think the problem might be that you see this only from an individual level. For example, I want to see your private stuff but you would want to know who I am before friending me, and that makes perfect sense.

However there are many pages where the owners don't care who you are and are happy to accept you without knowing you because they are commercial in nature. My wife for example wants to be able to buy and sell on a local Facebook page. Nobody cares who she is and the page is happy to have another member. Another poster mentioned the same thing - being able to see ads some small businesses run on their pages.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Tvov wrote:

I have found it is a great way to stay in touch with extended family all over the world. Just use common sense with it.

The point is the OP doesn't want to keep in touch with extended family but wants to use other features of Facebook. My wife wanted the exact same thing and it works fine for her. Nothing to avoid and no settings to worry about and just as anonymous as surfing the rest of the internet (so marginally anonymous).

Dave

It is only anonymous if you only view public profiles and business pages and groups. As soon as you need to tell someone this is my secret name so you can friend them and see their private page that anonymity will slowly trickle away.

It is kind of like moving next door to a relative you don't much care for and tint your car windows hoping they will never figure out who is behind that glass. Eventually someone will get a look at who you are.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:

I have found it is a great way to stay in touch with extended family all over the world. Just use common sense with it.

The point is the OP doesn't want to keep in touch with extended family but wants to use other features of Facebook. My wife wanted the exact same thing and it works fine for her. Nothing to avoid and no settings to worry about and just as anonymous as surfing the rest of the internet (so marginally anonymous).

Dave

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom/Barb wrote:
I post on FB all the time in full public view, hundreds of pictures no problems.
^^

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and with Facebook, I use it all the time. Just only put in information you have no problem with strangers seeing. You don't have to post pictures. You don't have to respond to any requests. Create new email to just use with Facebook. Use a fake name - some friends just change certain letters... like instead of "John Smith", they might use Jake Smile.

Whatever you do, do NOT fill out any of those questionnaire things that come up on Facebook, usually sent by friends, like "who were you in a previous life?" or "what is your natural age?" or anything similar. Those are just posts fishing for information about you.

Same with those pictures of "This poor puppy probably will not get 1,000 likes", or "give this soldier defending our freedom 1 million likes!". NO, again, those things are just for collecting information about you - and getting your Facebook page on their list for advertising or whatever.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:

ANother version is the same as the last but sent via the mail. Got one of those a couple months ago. Now that I did respond to but I don't think the scammers liked my response. I had teh "Front" payment delivered by a special agent (Postal inspector since they mailed it to me) and instead of cash they got a lovely set of matched stainless steel braclets made by Smith & Wesson company. A Free ride to a special "Hotel" Free room and board (After all asking for front money from a winner by US mail is a FEDERAL CRIME).

So you actually had the Post Office do something about it? Years ago I asked at my local Post Office about one of those Nigeria Prince scams, and they just rolled their eyes and said to ignore it.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
It's quite easy. Set up an email account on Yahoo, gmail or whatever and the once your Facebook account is activated simply don't visit that email account any more. Once in a great while my wife will visit the one I created for her just to see what kind of junk is there and delete it.

Dave

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

All you need is an email so they can confirm you are not a bot and you can set up the account to be whoever you want to be. I run 2 personal pages and 3 commercial pages. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

I have been watching this thread with great interest. I want to be able to use Facebook to see ads that some small companies run. I donโ€™t want to be asked to be friends with so and so; or see their latest pictures; or the size of their hamburger that they are eating. How can I avoid this new email account from sending notices to people in my google contact list? I use to have a facebook account in the past and it would ask me if I new so and so? Well yes I do because they are in my contact list. I would also get requests that so and so wants to friend me. I don't want to go thru that again. I want this new account to be completely anonymous so that I can review and/or order from companyโ€™s facebook ads and nothing more.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Okay guys, I guess it's just not worth it sometimes to ask questions on here without giving extensive background as to why you ask a question. I could explain my reasoning but I don't think it's important. If you don't know the answer, please don't tell me I'm stupid.

All you need is an email so they can confirm you are not a bot and you can set up the account to be whoever you want to be. I run 2 personal pages and 3 commercial pages. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have a Facebook account but our dog did before she died, and I still use her account. The folks I want to see it know where to look...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay guys, I guess it's just not worth it sometimes to ask questions on here without giving extensive background as to why you ask a question. I could explain my reasoning but I don't think it's important. If you don't know the answer, please don't tell me I'm stupid.

David Bishop
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
FB has controls so you can friend people and still not see any of their posts. You can also set up groups so that only some of your "friends" can see what you post.

That said, it's too much bother in my opinion. I friend who I want and refuse who I wish. Life's too short for playing all those interpersonal games. Anyone doesn't like it can avoid me as much as they like. I have no use for people who try to control or prescribe my relationships with someone else.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I post on FB all the time in full public view, hundreds of pictures no problems.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.