cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

satellite signal meter for dish setup

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to set up a dish network 1000.4 dish on a tripod and need a signal meter for alignment. Any suggestions as to the best and easiest.

I got a cheap one that is just that cheap and junk, does not work.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll
13 REPLIES 13

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, TechWriter, I already have that tripod and I see that I can simply order the replacement center shaft to convert it for satellite use.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what I use. I was able to mount a regular dish network mount on it for my dish. It works really well on uneven ground, and I believe is the same manufacturer as the more expensive one above.

Tripod for using portable dish
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Fred_n_Jo wrote:
My only concern now is that I will need to find an opening to the sats on fairly level ground because the tripod doesn't have adjustable legs. I'm thinking of ways to make them adjustable.

You might want to try one of these tripods. A lot of folks, including myself, swear by them.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
If you can stand setting up a manual portable dish, then you actually have the best solution.

Thank you, I believe this is going to work very well. My only concern now is that I will need to find an opening to the sats on fairly level ground because the tripod doesn't have adjustable legs. I'm thinking of ways to make them adjustable.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Fred_n_Jo wrote:
This afternoon the setup for Eastern Arc worked very well after lessons learned from the first setup for the Western Arc. This is going to be a good solution to our satellite tv connection. I have been unhappy with both the Tailgater and the Pathway X2 but believe we now have a good solution.

If you can stand setting up a manual portable dish, then you actually have the best solution.

Any current DISH receiver (including the Hopper) can be used with a 1000.4 and, as you mentioned, it can be configured for either the Western Arc (110, 119,129) or Eastern Arc (61.5, 72, 77) sats. Plus, you can use up to 200' coax between the dish and RV. All this allows a lot of flexibility.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best signal meter you can get is .. Your dish network receiver.

Use a battery operated portable TV and watch the Antenna pointing page.

That analog meter pictured above.. I consider it junk, nto worth the cost of printing the price tag, let alone what it says.. The software included with the receiver, Is worth well over 1,000 if packaged in a hand held meter, and that is USED (Bird Dog, Google it).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
This afternoon the setup for Eastern Arc worked very well after lessons learned from the first setup for the Western Arc. This is going to be a good solution to our satellite tv connection. I have been unhappy with both the Tailgater and the Pathway X2 but believe we now have a good solution.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
If the azimuth is correct all you have to do is rotate the dish to pick up the satellites. I put the DVR so it shows the signal strength and rotate the dish until I get a good signal. If you check the azimuth adjustment on home dishes you will see that it is fairly crude as precise adjustments are not needed to receive a satellite signal.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Received my Birdog meter yesterday and charged it up overnight. This morning It worked perfectly in finding the Western Arc sats for Dish. In short order I was able to find and peak all three 110, 119, & 129. This afternoon I plan to install my Eastern Arc LNB and try again.

I think I'm going to enjoy this 1000.4 dish and tripod with my dishfinder app on my android phone.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
I use two Ipad apps, Satfinder and dish align. Sat finder lets you point your Ipad at the sky and shows the different satellites on an arc and you align the crosshairs on the desired satellite and read azimuth and elevation on screen. You can specify a specific satellite and only that one will show on the arc.. Dish align is great for getting the direction correct because it allows you to hold it directly over the dish and Lnb to get exact alignment.I use both plus the signal receiver shown above to check signal strength. i can set up my dish on a tripod in about 5 minutes with a signal strength of 92 to 97% every time.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you. I just ordered a birdog USB plus meter and hope it works as described, at that price.

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of these WINEGUARD SF1000 TONE METERS (AMAZON). You set the noise just at the breaking point and when you point the dish at the correct satellite the tone jumps up in signal strength meter display. You can keep changing the attenuation knob until you max out the received signal tone.

I could find the DIRECTV signal higher in the sky then the DISH signal from the East coast where we live. I understand the DIRECTV Satellite is due south from TEXAS and the DISH satellite is due south of CALIF.

When I zero in on the DISH NETWORK everything works the same but I am not able to acquire the satellite with my DIRECTV receiver.

I have no idea whether or not this will work with your DISH network 1000.4 dish. This meter goes in series with the RG line between the SAT DISH LNB and the SAT RCVR.

I have a DUAL LNB head with my portable SAT DISH..

I am only getting the standard satelitte TV signals not HD...

Roy ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Align a site or birdog. Neither is cheap but both work well