cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temperature Alert for Pets using Text

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
I need a device that plugs into an outlet on our RV that will text me an alert if the temperature gets too high (or low).

It needs to work without internet.

I know the technology exists because I have it currently.

It not only sends me a text if the temperature gets too high, or there is a power failure, but I can send it a text to double check the temperature and make sure it's working well.

The device I have is from Cell Sign Technology. I paid about $130 ten months ago. It worked fine until about a month ago. I also pay a $12 monthly subscription.

The guy I bought it from thinks a power surge fried it. I don't know how that could happen since we have a high end Progressive Industries Surge protector.

Bottom line is, it no longer works and now I need a new one because it's getting very hot where we are located and we don't want to leave our pets unprotected.

The same one I paid $130 ten months ago has gone up to $240.

My question is: Can anyone point me in the direction of the same type of device. It needs to run on SMS text, NOT internet.
22 REPLIES 22

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Tom_M - that app temp alarm using 2 phones is cool! Do you use it? That seems like an easy solution. ST

I wasn't aware that phones had accessible temperature sensors in them.
And if the sensor is INSIDE the phone, wouldn't the heat of the phone itself somewhat skew the reading ??

Will this work with ALL models of "smart" phones ?
Somehow I kind of doubt it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dsteinman wrote:
Those times are definitely not relevant to an RV.

Even excluding the insulation in an RV, any RV you could stand up in has a much larger interior volume compared to the external surface area than a car. So, it can't possibly heat up as fast. And yes, I would feel comfortable being 2 hours away in ours.David

Yes it does. Depends where you are RVing. Apparently you have not experienced being in very hot weather in an RV without the AC.

In Florida the power went out at my CG and within just minutes it was way too hot for me and the dogs to stay in the MH even after I opened the windows.

An RV is nothing more than a big box sitting out in the baking sun. Insulation protection from the heat in an RV is a joke on any model high end or not.

IMHO leaving dogs alone in an RV during the hot summer months with the windows closed because you have the air on is just an accident waiting to happen. Just saying, JMHO

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M - that app temp alarm using 2 phones is cool! Do you use it? That seems like an easy solution. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
filthy beast wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
Klueck wrote:
I need a device that plugs into an outlet on our RV that will text me an alert if the temperature gets too high (or low).

If you have a genset, the other option is to install an AGS (Automatic Generator Start).

I know saying not to leave your pets unattended like a lot of campgrounds state in their rules will just get a bunch of angry replies.

What happens if the generator starts when it isn't generator time? Or is it just screw the others as long as your stuff is taken care of?

First, I'd put pets in a different category than "stuff'.

Second, AGS systems like my Magnum's have several programming options. For example, the system can be programmed to start the gen if the battery voltage drops too much or if the interior temperature gets too high.

In short, this would mean that the park lost electricity, your ACs went off, and the temp inside your RV became too high.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
Those times are definitely not relevant to an RV.

Even excluding the insulation in an RV, any RV you could stand up in has a much larger interior volume compared to the external surface area than a car. So, it can't possibly heat up as fast. And yes, I would feel comfortable being 2 hours away in ours.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are only 10 minutes away from your RV. Being alerted while you are away from the RV is not going to save your pets if it takes you 2 hours to get back to them.

Please Don't be disillusioned that an RV is safer than a car when it comes to overheating an animal.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Klueck wrote:

If you have a genset, the other option is to install an AGS (Automatic Generator Start).

I know saying not to leave your pets unattended like a lot of campgrounds state in their rules will just get a bunch of angry replies.

What happens if the generator starts when it isn't generator time? Or is it just screw the others as long as your stuff is taken care of?
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Android smartphone you could install an app like the following:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.infomultiverse.tempalarm

You would need two phones. The one with the app running would be left in your RV and if a set temperature is reached it would dial out to another phone.

Here's another option, but it requires the addition of an external temperature sensor:
http://grauonline.de/wordpress/?page_id=297
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

METZCOOL
Explorer
Explorer

METZCOOL
Explorer
Explorer
Or this is what I use.

http://www.valarm.net

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Here is another one, not sure you'll like the price.
The MarCELLยฎ Cellular Monitoring System I see it on Amazon for about $173

That's what I have, I paid a lot less for it last year. I have it in the house for now and will take it with us to Palm Desert. So far in the house it alerted us with a power outage and another time when the humidity was high. So far I really like it because I get messages and email alerts on my husband's iPhone and mine when anything goes wrong.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Temperature Alert for Pets using Text

I thought it was bad enough that all the drivers were using text and now I find out that pets are using text as well!! ๐Ÿ™‚
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Klueck wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
delete
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB