cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why must wifi be so bad

kohai
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, just back from 2 weeks on the road -- our first big trip. I was surprised at how poor the wifi was at every place we stayed.

Things I ran into:

- one park didn't even try to offer it where the sites were. They just said you had to come down near the office.

- one place even had a sign that said their wifi wasn't good and that they couldn't get anything better. Part of the truth though was that their equipment wasn't configured right to even allow me to connect.

- several places offered it but you couldn't actually get web pages to load

- I've heard people bash tenango (or whatever it is called). It was dog slow but at least I could get pages to load (about 45 second page load times)

- I can tether from my phone but some of the places I was in didn't have the best signal strength. Wifi systems have the advantage of being a land-line based setup.

I've done network administration in my day and have some familiarity with how hotels run their networks. I like how some hotels do it. You get a sliver of bandwidth for free (say, 256k) but you can upgrade and get enough bandwidth to stream video for $x dollars a day. Their systems throttle anybody consuming more than their share -- people streaming video can't steal all of the bandwidth because the system won't let them.

The technology exists to solve the bandwidth hog problem. Probably the biggest hurdle is getting a decent connection from a telecom provider. Even with a slower connection, the systems could be managed better.

I would pay extra for working internet at a park. Being a techie and still needing to do work when I'm on the road, it really is a downer (and a bit maddening) when I can't do what I need for 30 minutes before I go off to enjoy my vacation.

I assume working wifi will be more of a demand with the younger generation -- or lack of working wifi may deter them from the RV world.
2014 Primetime Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
39 REPLIES 39

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I am not sure why someone asking a legitimate question gets bashed by those who have on interest in the OP's question or needs.

It is called an adult conversation, Bill.

It is NOT bashing.

I'm not sure why some people seem to constantly read others innocent, well meaning comments and insist on turning it into a fight.

Chill Bill.
It's not really a conversation - it's kind of like someone saying "I want a recipe for pork" and several people chiming in "I don't like pork, it's disgusting." What's the point of those comments? They're really not innocent or well-meaning.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but expressing it on a thread that's the opposite of your opinion adds nothing to the conversation.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
While I do have my own mobile Wifi, there are still quite a few places that do not have a Verizon signal (although Verizon no doubt has the best coverage). When a campground advertises Wifi in such a place, I do expect it to work--preferably well--but even slowly is better than nothing. I ran into a few parks in Canada and Alaska that limit data usage to 250MB per 24 hours and I'd like to be notified of this before I pay for a site. Yes, I would pay extra for good Wifi. And, no, I don't do video streaming or anything like that. I don't believe RV Parks should advertise Wifi unless it's actually functional.
So you would rather not have that 250MB of data to use when you are in an area where the phone doesn't even work? How is having no wifi at all better than having some internet, even if it doesn't work as well as you wish it did?
That's easy! Often, the only reason I choose to stay in an RV Park (as opposed to a campground) is to use Wifi, especially in places where my Verizon Jetpack won't work. So I want to know up front if it's that limited, as I would rather stay in a NF campground with no services at all than to pay $40 for a site where the Wifi doesn't work or has draconian limitations.

With respect: Could not your concerns be easily answered with a phone call to the park? Much easier than getting there and all stressed out.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
@westernrvparkowner --- Just to understand better, what type of internet feed do your parks have? Does your location have access to true broadband internet via cable or fiber? Or are you stuck with slower/more expensive options only?

We are seasonal at a CG that has me so totally confused. They recently did a major upgrade of the wifi infrastructure in the park. New access points everywhere give a very strong wifi signal, no matter where you are located.

They also are fed by Xfinity broadband. In fact, near the entrance and outside the CG, xfinity wifi is also readily available and provides decent speeds.

HOWEVER, after clearly spending a lot of money on the wifi infrastructure, they decided to take the broadband stream and route it through tengointernet. As with every other tengo served CG I have been to, performance is useless, regardless of time of day, or how crowded the CG is.

I'm not a wifi techie by any means, but some logic should apply here. I work in an office with several hundred employees. We have a single broadband internet feed (Fios) and it services everyone via wired and wifi all day long, with no speed deficiencies. Our monthly cost for the highest available Fios speed is $450.

I just don't get the tengo solution at all.............
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I am not sure why someone asking a legitimate question gets bashed by those who have on interest in the OP's question or needs.

It is called an adult conversation, Bill.

It is NOT bashing.

I'm not sure why some people seem to constantly read others innocent, well meaning comments and insist on turning it into a fight.

Chill Bill.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you people apparently live in big cities and have access to high speed internet. But not everyone is so lucky. My son needed good WIFI for his business and at first tried ATTโ€™s DSL but the service got so bad (very old lines) it wasnโ€™t worth the money. Next we tried wireless from a source about 5 miles away. Service wasnโ€™t too bad in the winter but when the leaves came on in the summer it wasnโ€™t very good. One of our neighbors tried HughesNet but between poor quality and high cost he was not happy. Finally my son had a 110โ€™ tower built (to clear the trees) and now we have fairly good WIFI from the 5 mile away provider (still not what some consider high speed). Almost all of our neighbors now get their internet from our tower (which now has two company provider repeaters thereon). There are a lot of places in the country that still canโ€™t get access to GOOD internet.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, our first year weekend RVing showed us 2 things

- you need your own internet connection AKA cellular WiFi or cellular tether
- Sprint coverage sux

A few days in Hatteras was the worse. The campground WiFi (KOA) was only reachable from the cafe and there was a large cell tower close to the CG that actually interfered with the radio signal to and from the laptop. I suspected it was a Verizon tower, so I switched to VZW.

Before I started doing this, I would have been in the "back to nature" group. However, as much as I like sitting outside, there are environmental conditions that preclude enjoying it and inside reading a book on the tablet works out just fine.

I can't imagine camping with teenagers without connectivity.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:
Sometimes slow-loading is thought to be a too crowded bandwidth, when actually all it is is your Internet WiFi signal is sporadic. Would suggest you invest in a JefaTech WiFi signal power-boost that slots into the side of your laptop. I've got such good WiFi signals even in my homebase that I don't have to subscribe to Internet service - between that and my Smart Phone with Internet cell service as part of the plan.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Majority of time at an RV Park I use my Verizon Mifi unless the parks wifi is outstanding. At one park we were park next to the tower and it was still lousy. I loose my patience really fast and use my own MiFi.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
While I do have my own mobile Wifi, there are still quite a few places that do not have a Verizon signal (although Verizon no doubt has the best coverage). When a campground advertises Wifi in such a place, I do expect it to work--preferably well--but even slowly is better than nothing. I ran into a few parks in Canada and Alaska that limit data usage to 250MB per 24 hours and I'd like to be notified of this before I pay for a site. Yes, I would pay extra for good Wifi. And, no, I don't do video streaming or anything like that. I don't believe RV Parks should advertise Wifi unless it's actually functional.
So you would rather not have that 250MB of data to use when you are in an area where the phone doesn't even work? How is having no wifi at all better than having some internet, even if it doesn't work as well as you wish it did?
That's easy! Often, the only reason I choose to stay in an RV Park (as opposed to a campground) is to use Wifi, especially in places where my Verizon Jetpack won't work. So I want to know up front if it's that limited, as I would rather stay in a NF campground with no services at all than to pay $40 for a site where the Wifi doesn't work or has draconian limitations.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least there was one constructive remark in that undeserved scolding.. bring your own.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure why someone asking a legitimate question gets bashed by those who have on interest in the OP's question or needs. If you want to dry camp in the mountains and watch the grass grow you certainly are welcome to do that. However, your message is of no value here. Even those (like myself) who believe you should be providing your own internet connection don't really provide the information the OP was looking for.
WiFi is bad because the internet connection is bad. That's a reality will always be true when too many people are trying to share the same connection. If you live in a high rise apartment complex, everyone is going to pay (let's say Time Warner) for their own level of service. That means that 200 people in the building of 200 users will each be paying full price. In a campground scenario the park owner is going to pay for bandwidth that will provide a reasonable level of service for the least number or campers he expects over the course of the year. When the snowbirds (Winterbirds) show up there is absolutely zero chance that this level will serve the larger population. That, of course, assumes that a reasonable level of service is even available. Since most "campers" like to get outside the city (where the internet service is) the campground may simply not have any kind of a reasonable backbone available to them. The last problem I will discuss here is that you need a knowledgeable person to operate and troubleshoot a network. That also takes time and money to deal with when the reality is that everyone wants it all to be free, unlimited and just as fast as home. It's simply never going to happen in our lifetime.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The state of wifi in this country is embarrassing. Travel almost anywhere and they have great wifi, usually free. Many times faster than ours.

It is good for surrounding businesses if tourists can find what is around them. Museums, parks, stores restaurant, shops are found and money spent.

Cell has improved but a problem in low population areas.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the VERIZON MIFI account here and it provides us secured WIFI for five of our WIFI enabled devices. I have a grandfathered 3GB data plan for just $27 a month and this is perfect for what we are using it for. Just to check-in with the kids, pay a few bills on-line, answer some emails, and do a minimum surfing on the internet... Have never gone over my 3GB dataplan...

I use the WILSON SLEEK cradle for the docking station for the VERIZON MIFI unit which connects to an outside antenna on my trailer or pickup truck.

Works great anywhere we pick up VERIZON Cell Phone service.

Also small enough to slip in your shirt pocket and carry your tablet along with you doing some beach chair setting...

Even works pretty good running the TABLETS going down the road...

Must be good as neighbor campers are always coming over asking if the strong WIFI signal is us haha...

Its up to you to have a good PLAN B...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
kohai wrote:
Ok, just back from 2 weeks on the road -- our first big trip. I was surprised at how poor the wifi was at every place we stayed.

Things I ran into:

- one park didn't even try to offer it where the sites were. They just said you had to come down near the office.

- one place even had a sign that said their wifi wasn't good and that they couldn't get anything better. Part of the truth though was that their equipment wasn't configured right to even allow me to connect.

- several places offered it but you couldn't actually get web pages to load

- I've heard people bash tenango (or whatever it is called). It was dog slow but at least I could get pages to load (about 45 second page load times)

- I can tether from my phone but some of the places I was in didn't have the best signal strength. Wifi systems have the advantage of being a land-line based setup.

I've done network administration in my day and have some familiarity with how hotels run their networks. I like how some hotels do it. You get a sliver of bandwidth for free (say, 256k) but you can upgrade and get enough bandwidth to stream video for $x dollars a day. Their systems throttle anybody consuming more than their share -- people streaming video can't steal all of the bandwidth because the system won't let them.

The technology exists to solve the bandwidth hog problem. Probably the biggest hurdle is getting a decent connection from a telecom provider. Even with a slower connection, the systems could be managed better.

I would pay extra for working internet at a park. Being a techie and still needing to do work when I'm on the road, it really is a downer (and a bit maddening) when I can't do what I need for 30 minutes before I go off to enjoy my vacation.

I assume working wifi will be more of a demand with the younger generation -- or lack of working wifi may deter them from the RV world.

Honest to goodness.

Back in the day camping was GETTING AWAY from modern day life, to find peace, to enjoy nature at it's finest, take a "holiday".

Hope you are not planning to camp at State parks, most of those barely offer electricity let alone "free wifi"..

If the parks spent money on "improving" wifi then they will either need to CHARGE a separate EXPENSIVE charge for the wifi OR ADD THE COST OF IMPROVEMENTS TO YOUR OVER NIGHT COST..

BE HAPPY that they "offer" some sort of free wifi EVEN IF IT DOES NOT MEET YOUR "STANDARDS".

If you are planning to make camping a "habit" and can't live without your Internet "fix" then YOU NEED TO PAY FOR YOUR OWN WIRELESS INTERNET.

It is the way it is.

Quit whining about something that is free (NO EXTRA CHARGE) for you to use.