cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wifi in a TT

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
My family is about to be full timers in the TT for almost 3 months. I'm looking into options for Wifi because we have a Roku for streaming TV. Besides using a phone as a hotspot what options do I have? Any assistance you can offer is greatly appriciated.
26 REPLIES 26

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
You have Cellular MiFi Jetpack, and CG WiFi but when you're talking about streaming movies and shows, your CG neighbors will hate you on the CG system. Streaming services and CG's just don't seem to go together.

and more and more parks and CGs are throttling back if any kind of streaming is detected. if you're going to be at a park that offers cable for an extended time you may be able to obtain a cable modem from the provider.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
uscgcolletti wrote:
Appriciate all the information. Also I ever said I was going to use the CG wifi. Thats why I'm looing for other options.

Unless you acknowledge this, you will always get a warning about how it affects others on potentially weak networks. Thanks for acknowledging this.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to be in one location, you should look for cable internet or something like ATT Uverse. Those will get you essentially unlimited data. If you are paying for specific amounts of data, like on a phone, it will cost you something like $400/month to have enough data to stream TV. And even then you might go over your limit.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
Appriciate all the information. Also I ever said I was going to use the CG wifi. Thats why I'm looing for other options.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the MIFI VERIZON 3GB MONTHLY PLAN for $27 a month... VERIZON DATA PLAN for cell phone plans went up $40 a couple months back... I own all of my equipment with no contracts... About the only thin I can cut back on would be 1800 minutes each month...

VERIZON cell phone bill which includes the MIFI Plan is now $285 a month for 2 unlimited Data Phones - 1 regular old phone - MIFI 3GB Data Plan Acct. Our two data phones are too old to work as WIFI Hot Spots...

Sort just hanging in to see what we need to do since VERIZON has managed to change their dataplans on us somewhat.

Have no desire to downstream high usage TV or Movies. Just want Internet for paying bills, chat with family, and some searching on internet...

Want to stay with a VERIZON plan due to always being connected no matter where we go and where we live here at at the house where VERIZON is only network that works...

Have no desire buying an unlimited plan on ebay from somebody and moving the sim chip to my Verizon Account phones... Sounds like something illegal to me ??... KARMA always gets even with me when I try something like that hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Watched two episodes of Mad Men on campground wifi last night. Worked fine but it was SD - I noticed but DW didn't.

It's paid CG wifi though - they told me when I made the reservation that I would be able to stream.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
uscgcolletti wrote:
My family is about to be full timers in the TT for almost 3 months. I'm looking into options for Wifi because we have a Roku for streaming TV. Besides using a phone as a hotspot what options do I have? Any assistance you can offer is greatly appriciated.

After you get your first major overage bill on your hotspot you WILL be stopping all Roku streaming.

Video streaming and especially if you love HD video takes a lot of data, one 2hr movie in HD can use as much as 2-5 gig per hr..

Streaming movies via campground FREE WiFi is not cool and will spoil it for EVERYONE including YOU in that campground. Campground free Wifi is for getting emails and light surfing and should not be abused.. Abusing it will result in you and others having connection speed issues and possibly bringing the WiFi to a screeching halt..

Don't do it.. Don't be the data hog that jambs up the campground wifi system.

You will need to curb your Roku thirst, feed it with movie rentals or rummage around the Walmart $5 bins or even go to second hand stores like Goodwill.. Or be willing to pay the data overages from your own hotspot.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
For full timing, the answer will change for any given city or location and you need to decide what you will realistically use it for. 2-3 movies and a 10gb plan will work fine. But you really need to think about your intentions. Then you can shop and compare.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Pick up an unlimited Verizon plan from Craigslist or eBay. Put that sim in a jetpack or carrier agnostic phone (so hotspot is unlocked.)
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
1) Get a MiFi device by someone like Verizon. It's about $100.00 for 20GB's a month. But you'll chew through that in no time.

2) If you have a cell phone that has an unlimited data plan that allows you to tether, you might try that. They will start severely throttling you after the first 18-20GB though. Most unlimited data plans on a phone won't allow you to tether though...

3) Don't count on any campground having any WiFi that would be available for any kind of streaming. They provide you some wifi to email, surf the web some pay your bills online and that's about it.

5) Books are always good
6) Kindle
7) Radio
๐Ÿ˜Ž Arts & Crafts
9) Board Games
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Streaming via cellular is going to cost a fortune. One hour could eat up a whole months data allotment.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
You have Cellular MiFi Jetpack, and CG WiFi but when you're talking about streaming movies and shows, your CG neighbors will hate you on the CG system. Streaming services and CG's just don't seem to go together.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad