cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Retire, Purchase Class C....Already confused

ThomandDebbie
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first post as we have just joined. Have settled on a Class C after about a year of searching and looking. Two top contenders are Coachman 310DS and Forest River Forester...either 3051S or 3010DS. Looking at 2012-2014 Model Years. Reading reviews and comments scares the heck out of us. Biggest concern currently are the slides...I really do Not like the idea of a kitchen unit with drains, electrical and gas lines moving in and out in addition to the constant bounce of travel...hence probably elimination of 3151S..of course this is my wife's preferred floor plan design! Any comments on the slides and safety issues. Have read horror stories on the cable systems coming off pulleys...the Schwinteck system appeals to me but then you read that the manufacturer has under built the units, installed rails out of square, slides need additional support etc. I can rebuild, rewire, replumb, just about anything needed....HOWEVER I don't want to outside of ongoing maintenance. Comments, Your Time and Expertise Appreciated....Thank you.
20 REPLIES 20

soxfan58
Explorer
Explorer
We are fairly new to the RV lifestyle. We first looked at a Class C Coachmen Leprechaun 31 with no slides. It seemed ideal until we looked at various Class A models with slides. We bought the Coachmen Roadmaster with one slide for the dinette and sofa. What a big difference it makes. There is so much more living space with the slide out. It is just my wife and I and our Golden Retriever and we have plenty of room with the one slide and have had no issues with it. It will be interesting in the spring as we plan to add another golden puppy.
Happy Traveling!

Jim,

Part Timing Until Retirement - Soon!!
2004 Coachmen Roadmaster 230 Liberty Edition
2001 Sea Ray 180 Bowrider Sport

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our 3rd RV. The first was a 21' TT, no slides. We pulled it with a F150. I wanted a tow vehicle with more power, DW wanted more space. We traded it for another TT, 25' with slides and an F250 with a bigger V8. First trip out the TT started fish tailing and we totaled the whole works. Neither of us wanted a TT again.

We bought our current Class C, no slides, 6.0L V8. It's a little tight but no real problems. We can pass each other in the hallway, no problem.

My observation is that slides are still a problem. Our friends with slides have more problems with slides than any other single thing.

There are only the 2 of us. If we had pets or kids, or if we were full timers, maybe we would want wider hallways. What we have suits us just fine.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that you might be over thinking what can go wrong with everything!
I'm sure that there are issues with slides, but also with plumbing as is talked a lot about and other things! Slides like anything else can go bad but don't cheat yourself if you feel you like the space a slide gives but afraid of issues that all RVs have occasionally!

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
The Conestoga wagons had problems.

Worn axles for lack of grease.
Broken spokes when hit rock.
Ripped canvas when driven into low tree branches.
Run away ox team.
Pissed off Native Americans.
Bad brakes on down grades.
No heating or air condition.

I have one of the last Coachmen "C" made with out a slide, no regrets would have been nice to have the extra space, specially since we have actually lived in it for 12 years, yes we are still married 24 feet bumper to bumper we now have a 6 bedroom house, we get lots in it.

Purchase the one that best suits your need and live the adventure.

navegator
LOL! Did ya get a good deal when you traded for the Class C?

Life_In_Serenit
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Greyhawk with a the stove and oven in our slide. No issues coming up to 6 yrs. Anything that is mechanical will eventually have an issue. Just a fact of life. Our suggestion is find the floor plan that you like. That is the most important thing. Doesn't matter if you have slides or no slides if you aren't happy with the floor plan you will not enjoy being in the motorhome.
Rob and Lisa

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The Conestoga wagons had problems.

Worn axles for lack of grease.
Broken spokes when hit rock.
Ripped canvas when driven into low tree branches.
Run away ox team.
Pissed off Native Americans.
Bad brakes on down grades.
No heating or air condition.

I have one of the last Coachmen "C" made with out a slide, no regrets would have been nice to have the extra space, specially since we have actually lived in it for 12 years, yes we are still married 24 feet bumper to bumper we now have a 6 bedroom house, we get lots in it.

Purchase the one that best suits your need and live the adventure.

navegator

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my '03 Newmar I had 2 slides for 11 years and never had a single problem. Newmar makes Class As and 5th. wheels and they were the first to build a slide in their RVs in 1990. I figures with their experience they knew what they were doing and I was right. If you look at not getting anything that could possibly break down you would not have Water, electric, toilet or motorized RVs. I would bet the Conestoga wagons going across the plains also had problems.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've traveled full-time, traveling constantly and never had a problem with slides. However, we didn't have kitchen appliances in the slide. We also did not have Schwinteck slide mechanisms.

I think you'll see that most reviews or comments are from folks that have problems. There are thousands of others that don't have problems. Bottom line - most folks are happy with their RVs. Don't be afraid of them. Get one...go out and have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have slide with kitchen .. but tend to agree with his concerns. Stuff breaks and moving stuff breaks more often than stationary stuff - kitchen and bathroom stuff break often enough without adding risk.
Kevin

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first Slide TT - 10 years ago - never had a problem.

Any future TT's will have a slide (except maybe a tow-hauler) - I would
not live without one now. You will love the extra floor-space - especially in winter.
Gerry

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we've had our trailer with a kitchen in the slide, for almost 10 years and never had any issues.

wouldn't have an RV without any slideouts.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I don,t have one and get along just fine.

Me too, however...........

With only one person in my "man cave" no slides are needed; I get along just fine.

Add a second person and things get a little dicey. You can't pass each other in the "hall" easily.....or at all depending on the people.

The only way I see a C with no slides being practical for more than one person is if you spend about 80% of your total day outside and make sure that only one person at a time is moving around inside.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above check out the Forest River Form for those specific models ( Both are really nice). I'm sure some posters that currently have kitchen slides will post soon with their thoughts.

Happy Camping with whatever unit you chose!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had a kitchen slide in my last trailer. I never had an issue with it in 12 years. I think you're overthinking this. The vast majority of slide systems, no matter what brand or type, don't have a problem. Sometimes stuff happens, no matter what brand or type. If you ask me I wouldn't be without a slide; the good out weighs the bad.