cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding water after dumping black tank

tcc11tcc
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a used Jayco 17c & took it for it's first trip. Dumped black water tank & then grey water tank after the weekend was over.

The guy in the camper next to me told me after dumping the tanks, you should put water back in them (didn't specify how much) so the stuff in the tank doesn't harden which causes the smell.

So, my question is...Is this good advice and how much water should I put in? I assume I hook up the hose again & just run the sink water & toilet flush for a bit.
TCC
Nashville, TN
2007 Jayco Exp 17C
25 REPLIES 25

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
I have done the Ice trick with 5 gallon on water on our last 2 trips with our new TT. Both time it was 3 hour trips home, it couldn't hurt anything and it will melt for more water in my Black Tank. Everyone says Water Is Your Friend when it comes to your Black Tank.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Before leaving on a trip I always dump in about 3-4 gallons of water down the toilet. Just before dumping in the water I add the deodorizer as well as 2 caps of Calgon Water Softener.

I make sure my blank tank is well flushed I purchased a clear plastic connector that I attach to the flush outlet before attaching my sewer hose. This way I can make sure the black tank is running clear before closing the valve.

When dumping the tanks I dump at least 2 two thirds full 5 gallon buckets of water down the toilet while draining the black tank in addition to running the black tank interior sprinkler.

I've probably overdone the black tank process, but when I purchased my current RV (2 yrs old at the time) the previous owners were not RV smart. When parked in a long-term site they left the tank valves open. The result was not good for the black tank as the water was drained, but the solids didn't. It took me at least 2 years to rectify the solids problem. I tried the ice cube treatment, but I really believe that keeping water in the black tank along with a good dose of Calgon Water Softener eventually did the trick. Now I'm extra cautious.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
We have only done week-end trips so far and I don't dump black tank after each week-end. I have determined that about 12-14 showers will pretty well fill that grey tank. I do add about three gallons of water with chemicals and powdered water softener added after we get home and have dumped and sprayed out the black tank. I have not used the ice trick, but probably will.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Don't understand the use of buckets? And not all RV's have those back flush options.

BUT....Most if not all RV's have a sink that dumps into the black tank.
Find out if your bathroom sink dumps into the black tank.

Dump black tank
and BEFORE you unhook from shore station, run the faucet in the sink to put a couple of gallons into the black and add your chems. Really doesn't get any easier than that! :W

Actually when I am hooked up at a CG I dump the black, close the valve and fill the black tank up to full with water from the sink while I am packing up and then dump again to flush out the tank. Close the valve and then run the sink to add that small amount for the chems.

Our bathroom sink dumps into gray tank. Ran it this weekend before dumping to get the gray water level up.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I don't and haven't in 40 years. It's works for me so I probably won't change either.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
The guy that recently did the PDI on our trailer suggested putting a little water in the black tank then dumping a few gallons of ice in it. His thought was that the ice would help clean the inside of the tank. Seemed like a decent idea but I haven't tried it.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand the use of buckets? And not all RV's have those back flush options.

BUT....Most if not all RV's have a sink that dumps into the black tank.
Find out if your bathroom sink dumps into the black tank.

Dump black tank
and BEFORE you unhook from shore station, run the faucet in the sink to put a couple of gallons into the black and add your chems. Really doesn't get any easier than that! :W

Actually when I am hooked up at a CG I dump the black, close the valve and fill the black tank up to full with water from the sink while I am packing up and then dump again to flush out the tank. Close the valve and then run the sink to add that small amount for the chems.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I dump the black tank, run my black tank flush 3 times at 6, 5 and then 4 minutes per time (flushing after each "filling") and the water is generally running pretty clear. I then put 1 minute of holding the flush pedal down and drop in a packet of chemicals. Works pretty well for me.

My gray tanks just get emptied. No water is put back into them.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We dump the black tank, put more water in and dump again. Then we add a few toilet bowl full of water back to the tank and pour some DST from Camco in. With the TT we just pulled a secondary hose around to the bathroom door. But next time, just leave your hose connected to the trailer until its all done. Or take a garden hose with you to add water back in afterwards.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
Valterra makes a "Flush King" that hooks to the sewer discharge before you attach the hose. It is clear plastic (so you can see when the rinse water is clean) and has a garden hose attachment point. Using this allows you to backflush the tank and add water to it without having to run a hose inside the RV. I use it even though the trailer I have now has a rinse system, because it lets me see how clean the rinse water is. I got mine from Camping World. It's sort of expensive, but it is worth it to me to know when the black tank is clean.
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
After emptying and flushing the black tank, dissolve an ounce of Happy Camper in some water in the bowl and flush it down. Then add 2 gallons of water to the black tank. Ready until the next black tank dump.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

ianmac23
Explorer
Explorer
If I know that I am not using it for a while like over the winter I fill it up and then drive around for a couple miles and then drain it. I repeat that process until the water comes out clean. You would be surprised how much is still left in the tank after it is drained. I during the summer I leave a couple gallons in the tank after I saw how much poop and paper is left in it.
2010 GMC Sierra, 1500, SLT, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 6.2L, Max Towing Package,2011 Keystone Passport Ultralight Limited Edition

liquidspaceman
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend that if you have the time and capability to do a complete flush of your tank when you dump it. You would hook up something like a Flush King and fill the thank with water until nearly full then do another release.

I know people hate to waste water when unnecessary but I do think that adding another tank of water into the black tank will bring out a bunch of stuff you weren't expecting to be in there and will make your tank "healthier" for lack of a better term. You will certainly not have to use all kinds of chemicals and what not if you do this.

Overkill? Depends on if you like smelling the occasional wafting smell of decomposing waste or chemicals. I personally do not so I do the overkill method and fill my black tank up and do a second dump with the tank full.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a multi purpose 5gal bucket. When draining my hot water heater, I put about 2 gallons in the bucket. I use this to wash up with hot water after fooling with the stinky slinky. I then dump this hot water and soap down the toilet.

My ____ don't stink. Never used a chemical and have never smelled sewage in the trailer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!