cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on long-term plan

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
- I am very unfamiliar with RVs. Never spent a night in one.
- Never spent a night in a campground.
- Have done some tent camping in my youth.
- I am very active and in good shape for physical activities.
- As owner of Conversion vans, I am familiar with vans (like E-series vans for example.)
- Have driven large box trucks (moving or commercial) a few times.
- I am handy with Mechanical, Electrical, and Electronic repairs / upgrades on vehicles.
- Can do some plumbing and electrical for my home, but I do shine in demolition / wrecking things.

In a few / several years I plan to go into early-retirement, and so far think that 6-months at home, and 6-months traveling US + Canada is what I will like to do.

Regarding staying at home -- I want to either buy another home in cool / mountainous region to spend summers, and travel in the winter, or buy a home in Florida / Arizona for the winter, and travel in the summer.

As born, raised, and long-time resident in NYC, I will want to get away from traffic, congestion and people. I also dislike hot + humid.

So I am leaning stay home somewhere cool and fresh in the Summer, and travel in the winter (Nov-April) out West and South.

Currently live in Manhattan with wife and kids, and it has been excellent training how to live in a "cubicle."

50% chance wife will be with me when I travel -- she don't like RVs. Kids will be out of the house by then.

I think I will like to travel place-to-place, stay 3-4 nights in one place, and bike, hike, run, kayak in the area. So the RV will be like a base camp, and I will want a smaller vehicle to run around. Either MH + toad, or SUV + small-to-medium TT.

When I travel, I think I will stay in a combination of places -- CGs, truck rests, boondocking.

I know I have plenty of time to try out RVs in the next few years, but I would like to start planning now for my future home. Maybe buy this home in a year or two.

This is what I am thinking now, so please tell me when I am wrong, or bring something up that I didn't.
48 REPLIES 48

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
As NoVaRT stated, start visiting large RV shows. You can go through some big Motor Homes, Travel Trailers, and 5th Wheels to see what you think. When we started initial planning we always thought a TT was the way to go. After going to several RV shows and visiting a couple dealers we soon discovered that we would need a large 5th wheel. Much also depends on your finances. If you are looking at a new diesel MH you can spend $500,000 pretty quickly depending on how big and fancy. If you are looking at a new 1-ton diesel PU and 38'-40' new 5th wheel you can spend anywhere from $140,000 to $200,000. Obviously if you start out with used rigs you will invest half of those figures.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:
...This is what I am thinking now, so please tell me when I am wrong, or bring something up that I didn't.

It appears you are thinking this through in advance. That is a good thing.

There are no quick and easy answers, I suggest you spend lots of time on this and other RV forums learning how others do things. Everything you need to know is here, you just need to read and absorb it.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Go to one of the larger RV shows - Hershey, PA would be a good one. Take the wife, see a lot of different RVs. Use the Internet to do some research before and/or after. Talk about what you both might want. There could be a big difference in what you'd select mostly for solo use and what you'd want if it was regularly going to be 2 (or more) people. Don't be in a hurry to buy. The more you know, the better you'll do.
2013 RT 190-Popular

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before you decide on type of RV, I'd recommend deciding how much room you are going to need/want in it. Being used to a small space, you may not need the same amount of space others recommend. If your wife doesn't want to join you, you may find a smaller rig works better for you. There are plenty of folks out there full-timing in RVs under 24ft and are quite happy doing it.

There are a few places that won't let you camp with a popup tent. In those places, you can often camp with a hybrid BUT you have to "turtle" it (you can't use the popup/popout portion).

Traveling - Labor Day to Memorial Day will be less crowded in many places and more crowded in others (check out Quartzite). Just depends on location, weather, common visitor type, etc.

Rather than buying a house in a location to fit your "off season", I would recommend buying a house in a location that you'd enjoy in any time of year. You never know if after a few months, something happens and you can't travel anymore - you don't want to end up miserable because you're living in an oven or freezing your a## off.

That way, you could vary your travel period also. Summer & Fall one year to visit much of Canada and Northern US; Winter for southern locations; Spring for west coast; etc. If you decide 6 months is longer than you want to be gone at one time, you could do 3-4 month trips with 1-2 months at home in between (might be nice if there are grandkids around, etc.).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Thanks for the explanation - it helps knowing the mindset behind things to get a better idea on suggestions.

Being accustomed to a small space, and having a familiarity with conversion vans, you might be happy in a class C 21ft to 24ft. That could give you more flexibility (not having to maintain a toad, plus a car for your wife if she doesn't join you).

Since you have some time, it might be a good idea to visit an RV rally or two. That would get you some practical views of how things differ between RV types without a salesman making light of things to make a sale. Renting can help, but you won't be able to try out a TT or 5er if you don't have a truck.

Visiting folks at a rally, you can ask questions, and most folks will be happy to walk through their setup processes, etc. Then you can get a better idea of whether you want to tow (hitching and unhitching), get a big MH and tow a small car, get a small MH and not tow, or go with a TC, PUP or hybrid.

Appreciate the advice.

By reading here, I have noticed that as someone gets more into full-timing, better chances of getting into a MH / 5 rather than a TT. If so, if I was a half-year full-timer -- would a TT work better?

I am not too thrilled with having two drivetrains to maintain / insure / pay taxes on / storage.

What about road conditions, congestion, crowds -- is there a considerable drop in attendance at CGs / State Parks once school starts?

Or would most members here put up with the crowds for the sake of better weather?

Haven't noticed the RV on 86th Street yet but it's not mine.

Sounds like you already own a vehicle here so yes I hear you on the upkeep of a second. Overall city car maintenance is one of the reasons we decided a TT would suit us better than a MH or truck camper; limiting but still doable. A hard sided TT should afford the same amt of protection as a MH in bear country.

Regarding your query about attendance in regional SPs? Of course school dates and weather considerations lower attendance at campsites w/i a 250 mile radius. Many close around Columbus Day but if you check out the websites of of the different states you'll find several spots for colder weather camping and RVing. Here's a private link but I already know it's not complete:

http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/offseason.htm

Here's a link for the Adirondack area:

http://www.adirondacks.com/fallcamping.html
A bit of goggling will take you to where you want to be.

As far as rallies and RV shows......closest RV show I'm aware of will be in Herkimer or Rockland county in another month or so. A Jersey friend attends regularly so I'll ask her for the exact date and locale if you want. Closest rallies are prolly in LI. I don't currently have wheels past ZipCar so don't bother attending and do my research via the 'net.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:
Merrykalia wrote:
It can get pretty lonely if you are out traveling alone from place to place and changing every 3-4 days.

Can you explain this? Is it because if I didn't have help, mounting and dismounting (or whatever the term is) alone becomes too much work?

Sure. If you are gone for 6 months by yourself, and you plan to travel every 3-4 days, you will not have time to get to know anyone along the way. No friends, no family, etc.

There are some things that are easier with two people, but it's not mandatory. There are also some things that are easier with just one person!!

Yes, you may have access to your wife and family by phone, but that doesn't make up for close contact.

Maybe it's different for you, but I NEED my family and friends to interact with. I am a very social person and enjoy meeting new people, but I need the support and comfort of having my family and friends around, not constantly, but on a regular basis.

I hope that explains my statement.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given everything you've listed here, I would suggest a travel trailer + truck combo. Something with a sofa, dinette, bedroom with a door (helpful for couples) and a slideout for extra space so you are not cramped with each other. The slideout allows 2 people to move around at the same time without bumping into each other. If you were alone you could leave the slide in if you want to. The bedroom with a door allows you to sleep late or nap without disturbing each other so much.

You might also look at the rear living type floor plan, very nice layout for a couple.

A trailer is less expensive than a 5th wheel or motorhome, and as you said, allows you to NOT maintain 2 motorized vehicles.

IMHO the most useful tow vehicle is a full-size SUV. The exact one you need is dependent on the trailer weight/length trailer you choose. A SUV gives you extra secure storage space that is more accessible than a truck bed + topper. Buy it right, and if you decide you don't like it, you can sell it without too much of a depreciation hit.

Whatever you get, add in a good weight-distributing hitch for the combo. Worth every penny.

I agree with the advice to rent somewhere before you buy. Take the camper out and stay in some different areas and get a feel for them. Go back to the ones that you like the most and investigate how they would be to live in for 6 months at a time. Investigate things like access to medical care, taxes, COL, general amenities.

I love the area around Big Timber, MT. Beautiful, nice people, nice small towns. That would be one of my first places to investigate for long-term summer living.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
I would really like to go to remote places, which are bear-country -- so a hard-sided trailer would be better, no? If so, that would exclude popups and canvas hybrids.

I have towed cargo trailers, up to 5000 lbs. A couple of times parked them overnight in the city. I haven't found hitching / unhitching too taxing, I guess the rearview camera I installed helps.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Thanks for the explanation - it helps knowing the mindset behind things to get a better idea on suggestions.

Being accustomed to a small space, and having a familiarity with conversion vans, you might be happy in a class C 21ft to 24ft. That could give you more flexibility (not having to maintain a toad, plus a car for your wife if she doesn't join you).

Since you have some time, it might be a good idea to visit an RV rally or two. That would get you some practical views of how things differ between RV types without a salesman making light of things to make a sale. Renting can help, but you won't be able to try out a TT or 5er if you don't have a truck.

Visiting folks at a rally, you can ask questions, and most folks will be happy to walk through their setup processes, etc. Then you can get a better idea of whether you want to tow (hitching and unhitching), get a big MH and tow a small car, get a small MH and not tow, or go with a TC, PUP or hybrid.

Appreciate the advice.

By reading here, I have noticed that as someone gets more into full-timing, better chances of getting into a MH / 5 rather than a TT. If so, if I was a half-year full-timer -- would a TT work better?

I am not too thrilled with having two drivetrains to maintain / insure / pay taxes on / storage.

What about road conditions, congestion, crowds -- is there a considerable drop in attendance at CGs / State Parks once school starts?

Or would most members here put up with the crowds for the sake of better weather?

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
It can get pretty lonely if you are out traveling alone from place to place and changing every 3-4 days.

Can you explain this? Is it because if I didn't have help, mounting and dismounting (or whatever the term is) alone becomes too much work?

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ramen
Explorer
Explorer
RVTravel wrote:

RVing is a long-term desire of mine, and will have to fit with everything else.

Do what you want to do. Think about sacrifices in the past you have done for the sake of your family.

RVTravel
Explorer
Explorer
blackeyed1 wrote:
Maybe start out renting an RV for a week and take it out to campgrounds locally and see how your wife reacts. You need to do alot of research first.

Good advice. Thank you.

Merrykalia wrote:
Is there a firm reason why you and your wife won't be going together; does she just not want to be in a camper? or does she just not want to be with you?

Not sure if there is a "firm" reason. We've never been in an RV. Our vacations are fly+Hotel+rental Car often, and many short / regional trips together to hotels. We both work, and can't travel much more than vacation days.

Campers are alien to friends and family. We just drive or fly. And no one in my family or circle of friends has taken a 6-month road-trip / travel in US.

Merrykalia wrote:
You asked about a MH or a TT. A 5 yr old MH will cost you about 70K, but a 5 yr old TT will cost you less than 10K. It all depends on how much you want to expend to follow your dream. I would also suggest you check out fifth wheels since you get a little more luxury, plus they are more open and provide better full-time living than MOST travel trailers.

You will have to have an extra vehicle, most likely a pickup truck if you choose a TT or 5'er or a smaller vehicle if you choose a motorhome.

Understood.

NYCgrrl wrote:
You live in a cubicle in Manhattan with your wife and children yet can do/are aware of van conversions?
Interesting life history :).

We have used conversion vans for regional travel to hotels and attractions, and it's the perfect tool for that kind of travel for us. I have another friend from Flushing who also has a conversion van for family travel.

Van stays at the house, although it has been parked many times in Manhattan. Its footprint is not larger than a full-size car though.

NYCgrrl wrote:
After surveying my surroundings and taking into account my ability to make more less I'll be buying an Alto Safari Condo. Parks well here.

I do notice RVs on the UWS, so good for you. Are you the one to park on 86th, between Columbus and Amsterdam, FL plates?

toedtoes wrote:
Not to get personal, but with what you've thrown out here, it really sounds like you need to have a sitdown with your wife and discuss it with her.

No problem with asking personal questions. I wouldn't expect you to advise without knowing more personal info.

Yes, we have discussed it, and even if she was RV's biggest fan, which she is not -- there are variables, which may not allow her / us. First, we will be taking care of my MIL very soon, and not sure where, and how long that'll be. Besides, my younger daughter is a Performer, and not sure how her career will look-like in few / several years. Besides, my wife is contemplating becoming her Agent.

RVing is a long-term desire of mine, and will have to fit with everything else. So no, being non-committal right now is logical for my wife.

Would I travel alone? Maybe, maybe not. If my wife needs to be in months-long engagements with my daughter, she may be away too.

Older daughter will be working then, and who knows maybe having kids of her own. If that's the case, we may help, just like my in-laws helped. For example, my wife had our 2nd child just before she went to Law School. Her mother moved in with us for some time to help raise the baby. FIL stayed away. FIL traveled extensively while he was alone. Which was the opposite when our 1st was born. Then he helped, and she traveled to cousins, family etc.

In-laws had an excellent marriage, but they lived for months apart, in the service of grandkids. My own parents did the same with my sister and her kids. We would do the same, if duty calls.

Jayco-noslide wrote:
Don't know your $$$ situation. But, before jumping into an RV of any kind which will cost a lot and depreciate quickly I would consider renting a small motor home for a 1 or 2 week RV trip to see if you actually like it. Expensive but less than buying one and wanting to get out of it in a short time. There is so much to learn especially about the parts of RVing which are not fun.

Understood.

Trackrig wrote:
You may have used the term "buy a home" as a general one, but my best advice is don't rush out an buy a home anywhere. Go rent one for a while.

I've seen way too many people retire and leave Alaska to go buy a retirement home someplace. It may be a place they visited on vacation, it's where the relatives or kids are, it's where they grew up, etc. Then after they've been then for a year, they figure out they really don't like the place, so they go through the hassle of selling the new house and moving someplace else. Lease a place for at least a year so you see what it's like there year round (some day you won't be traveling) also the heat, humidity, sales tax, state taxes, local politics and other oddities before you commit to buying and you're stuck with it.

Lease something, then go travel to see the rest of the country. If you find something you like better, lease there before buying.

The worst one I saw was one of my old bosses. He grew up in South Carolina and had only been back a couple of times during his adult life. He retired, moved down, got busy finding a piece of land and then a builder. He never took time to really look around and absorb the area. When the builder started building, he had a chance to slow down and look around the around the area. Before the house was done, he decided he didn't like the area, put the house up for sale and left S. Carolina.

Bill

That's very true. We bought the vacation home in CT over a decade ago, and things have changed, at least in that town. It used to be inexpensive and traffic was bearable. Now it takes us almost 4 hours on Friday nights to drive 97 miles away on I-95.

Property taxes have almost tripled. Going there has become a real chore. We're seriously considering selling, maybe next year and buying another one in a very different location.

We not only want to have it long-term, but also be able to enjoy it in the short and medium-term. Maybe "enjoy" is not the correct term. Keep in mind that we live in an apartment, in one of the most dense areas in the country (Manhattan), and getting away is really necessary, as much as one can afford it.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may have used the term "buy a home" as a general one, but my best advice is don't rush out an buy a home anywhere. Go rent one for a while.

I've seen way too many people retire and leave Alaska to go buy a retirement home someplace. It may be a place they visited on vacation, it's where the relatives or kids are, it's where they grew up, etc. Then after they've been then for a year, they figure out they really don't like the place, so they go through the hassle of selling the new house and moving someplace else. Lease a place for at least a year so you see what it's like there year round (some day you won't be traveling) also the heat, humidity, sales tax, state taxes, local politics and other oddities before you commit to buying and you're stuck with it.

Lease something, then go travel to see the rest of the country. If you find something you like better, lease there before buying.

The worst one I saw was one of my old bosses. He grew up in South Carolina and had only been back a couple of times during his adult life. He retired, moved down, got busy finding a piece of land and then a builder. He never took time to really look around and absorb the area. When the builder started building, he had a chance to slow down and look around the around the area. Before the house was done, he decided he didn't like the area, put the house up for sale and left S. Carolina.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your $$$ situation. But, before jumping into an RV of any kind which will cost a lot and depreciate quickly I would consider renting a small motor home for a 1 or 2 week RV trip to see if you actually like it. Expensive but less than buying one and wanting to get out of it in a short time. There is so much to learn especially about the parts of RVing which are not fun.
Jayco-noslide