cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best generator

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new at rving but I've researched every site about best or quieter generators and I'm still at odds. What do y'all recommend? My bro in law just ought an Onan but just inot sure!
73 REPLIES 73

Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I do not understand the thinking of people that want to cheap out on power for the RV that they have paid tens of thousands for.
I do not understand why someone would care how others spend their money.

I bought my first Champion 120V 3500W in 2008 right after hurricane Ike. I had to buy what was available locally right then. Not much shopping around and grabbed what was left on the shelf. 13 yrs later and It still works as it did the day I bought it.

I stumbled onto a sale on a Champion 120/240V 3500W at HD in 2011. Heck, I can use that 240V 3500W to run my water well when we lose power at the house. It's a nice upgrade for less $ than what I paid for the 120V model. I walked in HD to buy nails and walked out with a $300 generator. This one is my workhorse. It powers my welder, recharges the battery powered golf cart when the kids leave it down the road with a dead battery. I can't say how many hours it has on it. It ran 80 hrs non-stop during our Texas freeze last winter. I didn't even turn it off to refuel. 10 yrs later and It still works as it did the day I bought it.

I have been so pleased with Champion I did not hesitate to buy their 3400W inverter model a few yrs ago to power the RV AC while Wallydocking. Someone here pointed out this model was on sale and I jumped on it. I've had battery issues with this one but other than that, so far so good.

And I own all that for the price of a single Honda EU2000i.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
I do not understand the thinking of people that want to cheap out on power for the RV that they have paid tens of thousands for.

Our core group of camping friends is a good experiment. Us and a good friend bought EU2000I Honda generators, and two others bought Champions, then different Champions. Then they bought Predators. They have spent more total dollars on generators than we have on our Hondas. Ours have been trouble free, and still don't need replacing.

When an all-new Champion or Predator with the latest doo-dads costs only 1/5th as much as a stodgy old Honda, you can afford to upgrade when something new comes along.

Speaking of stodgy - where are Honda's dual-fuel models? That feature has been commonplace for so long among the Chinese brands that some manufacturers have now moved on to tri-fuel models.

Why does Honda make you pay $5K for a 260 pound 7KW behemoth in order to get remote start/stop?

The fact is, some folks buy Chinese generators because they can't get anything comparable from Honda.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had very good service from my small Firman inverter gen I bought on sale at Costco. Has parallel cables, usb port, RV port, etc. Nice and quiet in economy mode for 9 hours per gallon. Use it for fishing/camping trips to SP, BLM and NF.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II

Our core group of camping friends is a good experiment. Us and a good friend bought EU2000I Honda generators, and two others bought Champions, then different Champions. Then they bought Predators. They have spent more total dollars on generators than we have on our Hondas. Ours have been trouble free, and still don't need replacing.

To be fair, I have enough solar now that my generator use is much reduced from the previous 12 years. Last year I only used the Hondas one weekend.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of folks at the dirtbike races we attend have the Predator 3500. They run them the entire weekend for A/C. Seem to be holding up.
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just for some perspective:

Sound studies tell us time and again that a 3dBA increase in sound level is barely noticeable to the human ear. In fact, you have to raise a sound level by 5dBA before most listeners report a noticeable or significant change. Further, it takes a 10dBA increase before the average listener hears โ€œdouble the sound.โ€.

Clicky

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
Is it too early in the thread to suggest solar?

No, man, it's never too early to talk about solar!

But if you suggest the S word, don't forget to mention a couple little things, like ho wmuch it costs to get enough "S", big enough inverter, and enough batteries to run your AC/microwave/etc....lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tvov wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Remember that a small change in "DB level" or noise level is actually big sound-wise - it sounds a lot louder.

It's actually the opposite. dB is a measure of power but to hear a difference in noise level is not linear.

I am not a sound engineer or anything like that. In my experience, just a one or two number change in "DB level" is very much noticeable.

I don't know the science behind, just what I've heard... lol!

You have sensitive ears then. Generally, people can't detect a 1dB change.

Plus simply moving the generator a few feet further away can lower the dB by a few points.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
time2roll,

Certainly not--now the OP can afford solar on the funds saved by purchasing the Predator.

I wonder if Pinella's has a kit for the Predator to make it remote start?

https://generatorupgradesupply.com/products/remote-start-and-stop-complete

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Due to a shortage on parts within Harbor Freights Supply line in early May there was a temporary change to the engine of the Predator 3500. If your wheel brake is on the LEFT WHEEL while looking at the front panel, you have a different model and this remote start kit will not work.

We are working on a new kit for that model so please keep checking back unless you plan to return it for the regular model which is back in stores.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Bfrnk
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I purchased a Predator 3500. It has good reviews and the db level is 57
Have a friend that recommended. I may regret not buying a Honda but I'm going to try this one. Thanks for your input

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
our honda 3000 is 15 years old and used extensively each year with zero problems. our camping friends are now on their third generator but for some reason still cannot justify the cost of the honda.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Skibane wrote:
aftermath wrote:
My cousin saved something like $500 when purchasing a different brand on sale at COSTCO. His lasted about a year and a half. Couldn't get it serviced and no one had parts.

Yep - Some brands aren't much more than importers who buy a few CONEX boxes of generators from a factory in China, and slap their own label on the product before shipping it to customers.

I would emphasize that Champion is NOT in that category. They have an extensive parts inventory in Santa Fe Springs, CA, with many of those parts available for order online.

I've ordered parts from them several times online - they ship quick, and their prices (including shipping) are very reasonable.

Their service techs are also US-based, and are knowledgeable and helpful.

This is a familiar story. While there are lots of viable options one fact remains is that Honda as a extensive dealer network that can keep your genset going.
If you are a DIY guy Champion is a viable option if you are capable of #1 diagnosing the problem and #2 fixing/tinkering with things.
Most others are a **** shoot of varialbes betwen price and reliabilty and parts availabilty.
Yes Honda is more expensive ,but if you choose price and opt for savings be sure to have your own plan for getting service.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Decibels are not a linear measure of power, nor is our perception of loudness/volume linear. (For that matter, the amount of acoustic energy does not fall of linearly as one gets further from the source, either, but is proportional to the square of the distance.)

As a rough rule of thumb, somewhere around 10 dB or so difference is generally perceived as "twice as loud." A 3 dB difference is a little louder (despite being about twice the acoustic energy), 1 dB difference not very noticeable unless you're paying quite close attention.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Tvov wrote:
Remember that a small change in "DB level" or noise level is actually big sound-wise - it sounds a lot louder.

It's actually the opposite. dB is a measure of power but to hear a difference in noise level is not linear.

I am not a sound engineer or anything like that. In my experience, just a one or two number change in "DB level" is very much noticeable.

I don't know the science behind, just what I've heard... lol!