cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying rv

gjleno
Explorer
Explorer
Best states to purchase rv as far as taxes go.
15 REPLIES 15

chisel101051
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a real life story of mine. In 2003 I purchased a Monaco Dynasty and partially retired working 1/4 of the time with my employer. I bought the MH in WI and hired an attorney in Montana and started a LLC and licensed it there. All was fine while traveling. About 4 years later the state of WI sent me a notice to pay the sales tax plus interest and penalties. I fought this with my CPA for almost 2 years and lost. They put a lean on my house, levied my bank accounts, etc and it was a constant battle while we were trying to work this out. My accountant said I was legal and not to pay, the WI IRS said differently. In the long run I lost and had to pay over $20,000. I did not have a home in WI at the time this happened, only after I sold it and bought a home did they come after me. BE CAREFUL!!!

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
gjleno wrote:
Best states to purchase rv as far as taxes go.

It typically doesn't matter anymore. Most likely your home state will charge you what ever their sales tax is for your rig. As an example; I bought my last rig in the next county over. When I registered it in my home county they charged me an additional sales tax because the county where I purchased the rig had a lower sales tax rate. Most of the time if you buy a rig out of state your home state is going to charge you their sales tax rate when you register it so you end up paying the sales tax regardless of where you purchase it.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
aragtopkindaguy wrote:
Hi
I'm Steve and I just retired and want to travel on limited funds. I think I want a small class A ( have looked at and considered class B like Rialta ) but I am not sure they are large enough for FT use. I have around 20k for the MH and also want to tow my Mustang Convertible,see username. Any and all advice from FTers is welcome. I already have a trip planned mapped and ready to go, 9066 miles, Fl to N Y, new england, grand canyon,L A, S F, etc. Thanx in advance.
Steve
A RAGTOP KINDA GUY

You should have started your own threadinstead of piggybacking on someone elses thread that's about taxes.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

aragtopkindaguy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I'm Steve and I just retired and want to travel on limited funds. I think I want a small class A ( have looked at and considered class B like Rialta ) but I am not sure they are large enough for FT use. I have around 20k for the MH and also want to tow my Mustang Convertible,see username. Any and all advice from FTers is welcome. I already have a trip planned mapped and ready to go, 9066 miles, Fl to N Y, new england, grand canyon,L A, S F, etc. Thanx in advance.
Steve
A RAGTOP KINDA GUY
A RAGTOP KINDA GUY
S D

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
We are residents of Alaska. We've lived in the lower 48 for the last few years, and have bought several vehicles and a toyhauler here. We pay zero sales tax at the time of purchase. When we register the vehicles in Alaska, we pay no sales tax, either. For example - we just bought a 2011 Kia Sorento here in MD. The only document was a sales sheet (paid cash), and there was no sales tax anywhere on it. Cost for a 2-year registration (vanity plates) in Alaska? $135
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
lanerd wrote:
He didn't ask about registering, he only mentioned buying. So therefore, a state with no sales tax would be the best. Registering is another issue.

Ron

What states have no sales tax? I know there are some with no income tax.

Delaware does not have sales tax. That is why we buy anything we can transport ourselves home there. Anything that gets delivered or registered in MD we pay our beloved Governor his 6%.
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
Montana has no sales tax & no vehicle annual inspection. Oregon is also sales tax free. For the purpose of clarity: If a buyer who lives in NY, FL, PA, any state for that matter that has a sales tax, he will pay the appropriate sales tax to his home state upon registering the vehicle. Some dealers DO collect sales tax even if the buyer is out of state AND they send it to the home state of the buyer not the state of the purchase. So, using tax free Montana as an example here is how the tax is avoided. The RV purchaser cannot live in Florida, register the RV in his own name & address in Montana because to register any vehicle in Montana the individual OR COMPANY must be Montana based. By forming an LLC (limited liability company)in Montana with a Montana address your LLC is domesticated in Montana and comes within the state laws for registering a vehicle. The cost to set this LLC up is usually in the $1500.00 area, peanuts as compared to the sales tax on an expensive RV. So technically the LLC owns the RV registered in Montana but you living in any state own the LLC.
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
He didn't ask about registering, he only mentioned buying. So therefore, a state with no sales tax would be the best. Registering is another issue.

Ron

What states have no sales tax? I know there are some with no income tax.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
As stated above it doesn't matter where you buy it, it matters where you register it. I can buy a MH in Oregon and pay no sales tax and then pay tax when I register. It is what it is.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

endlesstravel
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no tax expert, but I know if you meet the requirements, you can claim your RV as a second home and get interest deductions on your RV loan, deduct the state sales tax, deduct the registration fees in most states. To be considered a "second home," an RV needs cooking, sleeping and bathroom facilities.
If you use your RV for "business purposes" you may be able to deduct some of you travel expenses (gas, food, etc.) and depreciation on the RV's value...t

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to tag your vehicle in GA, it doesn't matter which state you buy in.

I'm not sure if you may need to pay the upfront ad valorum rather than the annual for the state of GA, plus whatever the sales tax is now. Most states have a reciprocal agreement and a dealer in FL will send the state of GA the correct sales tax. They did ours back in 1999. That's why we 'moved' to FL before we fulltime.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

JKQ
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the state you purchase the RV, it's the one you register it in. Montana is the state of choice for many RV purchasers. It's necessary to form a LLC, register the RV in the name of the LLC with a Montana address. Their are a bunch of companies in Montana that specialize in doing that for out of state RV owners including forwarding the license plate. Deer Creek Corporate Services in Helena, MT is one of them.
2013 CruiserRv Enterra 314 RES TT, 36ft, 3 slides
2013 Ford F250 Crew Cab Power Stroke Diesel 4x4
Reese WD hitch with dual friction control bars
Dometic 3000 KW portable genset

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Any of those with no sales tax....ie: Oregon, Texas, ect.

Texas has sales tax on rv sales... 'sides no matter where you buy it... your residence state is most likely gonna tax it at their current rate anyway..
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)