cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealing with the unpredicablity of life and your camper!

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, this is going to come out as just as complaint session, but I have to express it.

Soo... We've had a travel trailer for about 2 years, traded our terribly little one in on a nice BIG 30 foot unit with a slide. It's something our family of four can really live in and that's great.

Using it the 2nd time here in Central Indiana this weekend. Not far from home, about 30 minutes. I wanted to go a bit further, but about a week ago a co-worker at the preschool where my wife teaches said there's this "big party they host on their farm" this same weekend. My wife wanted to go and I think that pretty much helped decide that we'd camp but stay close. No problem I thought, camping is camping, just fun to get away.

The other challenge comes last Sunday, we need a reservation. So we start calling around, finding not much. Finally choose a private place that's like 37 bucks a night, much more than the 26 we pay at state parks. But, it's something and close which will allow the party to be attended.

So here we sit on Thursday. The weather forecast is pretty BAD for the weekend. It's going to be a wet, cold affair this weekend in Central Indiana.

So, before we break into the courses of all the things you can do camping while it might be raining, we know all that. We have board games and TV, plus my 10 and 8 year olds are happy to just play their video games. That's not the problem.

The problem is the best laid plans always seem to fail for us. What will run through my head all weekend is could be sitting in our nice, big house instead of paying 37 bucks. I mean it'll be rainy and cold, it won't be weather anyone wants to go out in. Probably no fire, probably no bike riding.

I'm excited to go to the party, I think that'll be a good time. But, it seems like the smarter move would have been to cancel camping...

I just get this feeling as I sit here at this desk and work 8 hours a day that god is mocking me. It's like I do all this work to get these cool toys, but then I can't seem to ever get what I need.

There was a stretch of weather here in Sept, the weather people kept saying "Get Out and Enjoy it" over and over. But I couldn't. Work, school, commitments. I couldn't enjoy it with my camper because life doesn't just work that way. The best of nature doesn't just line up with the schedules of a life. Flag football doesn't cancel for GREAT weather, just crappy, which means it took even MORE time up.

Okay, let the flaming begin! ๐Ÿ™‚
62 REPLIES 62

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.

Pick which one you want.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
A few spring breaks ago we planned a 6 day trip in the TT to the Oregon coast knowing we would likely get rained on along with breaks with sun. Kids were 10 and 6. When it rained we walked the beach, sat under the awning around a camp fire, went into town to the candy shop, hung out in the trailer and swam in the indoor pool. Kids still talk about that trip and the fun they had.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
PK1023 wrote
"I just get this feeling as I sit here at this desk and work 8 hours a day that god is mocking me. It's like I do all this work to get these cool toys, but then I can't seem to ever get what I need".

I think you'll probably find you have what you need. It is the things you want you are having trouble with.

Now get back to work before the boss catches you daydreaming and participating in RV forums on his time or you may find yourself needing a new job. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to buy a couple rolls of those cinnamon buns and fire up the oven The anticipation and result of a pan of warm baked goods can go a long way to eliminate cabin fever.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the 'farm party' going to have shelters if it rains? Have your wife inquire with her friend. If so, go and enjoy yourselves. You're not going to be the only one there if raining. In between the party look in the general area for indoor things to do with your family - museums, bowling, etc. A change of pace is always good for everyone. Sure beats sitting at home in the rain and watching t.v. all day long.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
We used to only tent camp...

But now, when it rains and we are RV camping...

hard to complain...

In fact, it's kind of cool.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Time isn't something you have, it's something you make.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the difference between $26 and $37 for two or three days makes you uncomfortable, you really need to look at your overall priorities in life.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I just try to avoid hurricanes and tornados. Monsoons are just part of RVing. As long as the water is not over the hubcaps, just curl up and listen to the rain on the roof. Just don't park under oak or walnut trees. The noise interrupts your sleep.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The weather doesn't have to be 100% perfect for you to enjoy the outdoors. Put on a hat and a raincoat and go for hike, go for a bike ride, go sneak up on wildlife. Life is what you make it. Whenever God shuts a door he opens a window. Find the window and crawl out it.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
It sure seems that way. Murphy's Law!! We have learned over the last 5 years to always check the weather before we head out. When we travel long trips, we look at the weather where we are and where we're heading. We stay put or leave earlier if possible to avoid the weather. On www.weather.com you can look 5 or 10 days out. Sometimes with large weather patterns it's not possible to leave early to avoide it, so we hunker down and read books, watch TV. eReaders are great for rainy days. What would you do at home on a rainy day? Same thing.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
byrdr1 wrote:
No Flaming from me!
Life does get in the way sometimes. I grew up camping with my mom&dad. He was career US ARMY, camping was about all we could afford to do while I as growing up. Skip forward to 15 years ago. LIFE was hectic, kids doing things and having to run them here and there. Family emergencies, family deaths. LIFE just kept coming at us.. I need a break from all this. We need to start camping!, my wife was born and raised in the city, we had moved to the country to get away from the city life. nice to be in the country but still had all the family commitments and we are now 10 miles from town now.
So why did I say all this..
You have to make time to camp, you have to make time to spend with your kids and family while camping. You have to assign it a priority in your life. Then you schedule the time and commit to it whether the weather is bad or not. YES being that close to home makes it easy to back out of a trip. BUT I have camped in in two northeastern's storms at the beach, several hurricanes that have blown by us while we camped. YES we were at North Myrtle Beach when Sandy came up the coast. Two hurricanes that came one right behind the other through central NC while at the lake. I cant count the rain storms, the cold fronts, the one time snow and ice storm caught us in the mountains. I have driven in winds that I do not wish to drive in again and WONT if I can help it.
My priorities in life are my faith, my family, my job, my church, my friends, my recreation(camping). Everything else falls in here somewhere. We have made it so we spend so much time running and doing for our kids, family, friends and church that we don't take time for ourselves.
NOT preaching just telling you how I do it. Do I go camping every month NO but I have a average of 40 nights a year since we first started in the Tent(once), the popup, the used TT, the new TT with bunks, and now the mom & pop 5th wheel.
Take care and CampOn!
randy

Great post.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
The worst day of camping is much better than the best day a work
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fla-gypsy wrote:
Happiness is not guaranteed, only that we can pursue it. You should consider yourself blessed to own a home, family and a camper along with a job where you are needed.

Good point Gypsy, if the OP can't find happiness with the above or make the most out of his camping scenario rain or shine shame on him.
The OP mentioned the $37.00 rate as though that's an issue. How must does it cost not to use the camper? The figure is not $0.00.
When the camper sits idle than it is a waste, however when you are actually using it you are getting full value. The CG rate is secondary to the amount you have already invested in the RV package.
Lastly we never ever consider camping due to rain unless the rain/weather is so extreme that it is dangerous.
You need to learn how to make lemonade out of those lemons.
Life is what you make it.
You can mope around on a rainy day and consider it a miserable time or you can enjoy a rainy day with your family. It's all about attitude and perspective.
Treat everyday as a blessing there are plenty of obstacles in life to overcome, but a rainy day camping is not one of them.
Don't focus on a small rainy day, but see the big picture of life.
As soon as you do that rainy day hanging out in the RV with your kids won't seem so bad.
Kids grow up and move on before you know it. Enjoy the rainy day while you have it. There are a lot worse scenarios you could be facing.
Lastly, You understand the weatherman isn't always right.
I have experienced a lot of great weather camping trips on days that it was supposed to rain. Believe that glass is totally full vs. 1/2 empty. Life/camping is a lot more enjoyable that way
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
No Flaming from me!
Life does get in the way sometimes. I grew up camping with my mom&dad. He was career US ARMY, camping was about all we could afford to do while I as growing up. Skip forward to 15 years ago. LIFE was hectic, kids doing things and having to run them here and there. Family emergencies, family deaths. LIFE just kept coming at us.. I need a break from all this. We need to start camping!, my wife was born and raised in the city, we had moved to the country to get away from the city life. nice to be in the country but still had all the family commitments and we are now 10 miles from town now. So she was not on board as far this camping thing went at first. You will see the progression over the last I said 15 years but it has been closer to 19 years now that look back over it.
So why did I say all this..
You have to make time to camp, you have to make time to spend with your kids and family while camping. You have to assign it a priority in your life. Then you schedule the time and commit to it whether the weather is bad or not. YES being that close to home makes it easy to back out of a trip. BUT I have camped in in two northeastern's storms at the beach, several hurricanes that have blown by us while we camped. YES we were at North Myrtle Beach when Sandy came up the coast. Two hurricanes that came one right behind the other through central NC while at the lake. I cant count the rain storms, the cold fronts, the one time snow and ice storm caught us in the mountains. I have driven in winds that I do not wish to drive in again and WONT if I can help it.
My priorities in life are my faith, my family, my job, my church, my friends, my recreation(camping). Everything else falls in here somewhere. We have made it so we spend so much time running and doing for our kids, family, friends and church that we don't take time for ourselves.
NOT preaching just telling you how I do it. Do I go camping every month NO but I have a average of 40 nights a year since we first started in the Tent(once), the popup, the used TT, the new TT with bunks, and now the mom & pop 5th wheel.
Take care and CampOn!
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC