cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIESEL FUEL

Rocky71
Explorer
Explorer
We fuel up at flying J pilot and get money off a gallon.
That is great. But there isn't that many Flying J and Pilot around?
I am happy but were can we go if there isn't any?
TA truck stops are all over maybe they will give RV the same thing????
JUST ASKING......
29 REPLIES 29

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to find truck stops on the interstate highways as a rule. It is on the secondary highways and out in more rural areas where diesel is harder to find. I have found gasbuddy to be worthless in the remote areas and don't even bother with it when traveling.

If you go to the websites for Love's, Flying J, Pilot, Exxon, Chevron, and others you will find locations that you will not find on gasbuddy and they will be current as to the availability of diesel at individual stations. I also use the yellowpages.com website and search by town for "diesel" and this is effective about two-thirds of the time.

RnTBnB
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, have the Pilot/Flying J discount card. My wife and I just took a 2-week RV trip, and I kept an eye out for their stations to see if I could get a discount on diesel. What I discovered was that even with the discount Pilot/Flying J's prices were still higher than other stations in the vicinity. So much for getting a deal on diesel!
Robert, Teri, Buddy, & Bitsy
2014 Infinity 3610RL 5th Wheel
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic Duramax/Allison

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
When we went to Alaska many of my friends razed me about the cost of fuel. I told them i just pull in, fill it up, get my credit card receipt and go on down the road. I told them if I had to worry about my fuel costs, I might as well stay home because worrying about the money would just ruin my vacation. We had a great time! After we got back one lady asked me how much a I spent on fuel. I told her I did no know; the money was already gone, so why worry?

Ray

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sez Hoo! wrote:
For people with 5ers or TT its easy to use the smaller mom and pop shops. But if you are in a MH with a toad, the smaller stations aren't always the best option. Backing up is not an option. For me its always truckstops.

At least with MH/toad backing has options....you can always unhitch toad :B

YES I have had to back out of couple stations.
BUT I've had more issues with some CG roads/sites then ever experienced at a service station.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
For people with 5ers or TT its easy to use the smaller mom and pop shops. But if you are in a MH with a toad, the smaller stations aren't always the best option. Backing up is not an option. For me its always truckstops.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I travel secondary/backroads and buy diesel at ANY station that sells it.

I find fuel pricing at most stations cheaper than Flying J/Pilot.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My rewards credit card gives me 4% on fuel no matter where it is purchased. At $4 per gallon that is $.16 kick back per gallon.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
I'm totally fed up with this mind set of always looking for the cheapest. Usually its a false promise when factoring quality of product. It also indicates a weakness of cognitive power and causes warts on the brain.
Now, having said all that, I truly wish I could convince my wife...:B

APT
Explorer
Explorer
When I'm towing my TT, convenience wins. My non towing vehicle is diesel and I've never had a problem finding fuel. Plenty along the interstates and the exit signs tend to list when diesel is offered.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Like the others, the few cents savings is not something I even consider. I also look for convenience, active station, and whatever I find to meet those issues when I need fuel.
I generally look for certain name brand stations such as Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. as they (from information posted on here before) have higher cetane ratings than the generic Flying J/Pilot, TA, Quiktrip, Racetrack, etc.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
I dont go searching for lowest price when towing down the road. Generally you will find the prices near most interstates to be the same per state though sometimes higher near larger towns and cities. But while I try to stop where I can save more then a few cents a gallon (or avoid higher priced states if I can carry enough fuel not to need a refueling until the next state with lower prices) I just look for higher volume locations for diesel. I actully stopped at a shell that had good volume but probably not a lot of diesel volume as about 3/4 of the way home my filters clogged up.

All I could do is limp off the road and change them right then and there and continue on down the road. Thankfully due to this site I learned to keep a spare set of filters for the Monaco, and I now even keep a spare set for the F350.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
When on the road, I don't really worry too much about shopping around for fuel. I go to the nearest, easy in easy out station I can find.

I do pay attention to the station only to see if it "looks" like it is kept up and busy so that it probably has fresh fuel.

When towing and RVing I know I'm going to use lots of fuel and will spend lots of money for it.

+1

Convenience is the primary consideration. Saving less than 1% doesn't even enter into the decision. If I buy 80 gallons for $320+, a .03/gallon or 2.40 total savings is not relevant. Since we developed this mindset, we have been much happier and less stressed about when and where we fill up - just about any truck stop will do!
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When on the road, I don't really worry too much about shopping around for fuel. I go to the nearest, easy in easy out station I can find.

I do pay attention to the station only to see if it "looks" like it is kept up and busy so that it probably has fresh fuel.

When towing and RVing I know I'm going to use lots of fuel and will spend lots of money for it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Or get Gasbuddy on your smartphone. clicky

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check for price on Diesel Boss.