cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dogs in RV parks

mz-s
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are seriously considering buying a camper within the next year or so, so that we can travel around our great country while towing our own "home" everywhere we go. We also want to be able to travel with our cats, which will allow us to be away from home longer without needing to worry about having someone stop by every day or so to feed/water/scoop box.

I'm reading on a lot of forums that people travel with their dogs, probably for the same reasons we want to travel with our cats.

Do you find that dogs barking is an issue in RV parks? Do people with dogs make sure they're well-mannered? Obviously there will be bad apples and irresponsible dog owners wherever you go, but in general what's been your experience? The last thing we want to do is sink thousands in a camper then never use it because we're always dodging dog refuse around the RV park, or we can't sleep because people have yappers going all hours of the night.
104 REPLIES 104

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
...when two people walking dogs stop and talk while their dogs bark bark bark the whole time. I wonder if they even hear it...

Ha, yes, I know exactly what you mean! People with small children are the same way.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
Almost everyone that RVs has a dog.

How do you explain the fact that the vast majority of RVs for sale say, "no smoking, no pets"?

bukhrn wrote:
As far as yapping, ours is generally quiet, but like many dogs, they are protective of their territory.

Which means, "It barks when someone or something comes near my RV."

My personal rule is that no sounds from inside my RV can be heard outside my RV. But I'm in the minority on that.

ncrowley wrote:
I am a very light sleeper and I have not been kept awake by a dog barking yet.

But the barking at RV parks and campgrounds isn't at night, when you're sleeping, because dogs aren't left outside to howl, like in regular neighborhoods.

Dog barking in RV parks happens when they're left alone and are bored, or something moves outside so they're excited. It also differs from houses in that people walking dogs in an RV park come within just a few feet of other people's RVs, unlike in a neighborhood, where they might be out on the sidewalk and there's a lawn between the house and the sidewalk, and it really gets the dogs barking.

Just notice the next time someone's walking his dog, as the barking from RVs goes in a wave as the walked dog passes by.

Or worse, when two people walking dogs stop and talk while their dogs bark bark bark the whole time. I wonder if they even hear it; I know it doesn't bother them. So I'm not inclined to take most dog owners' word on how much their dogs bark.

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have dogs or cats, but really like being able to pet and fawn over other peoples' dogs & cats. That way we don't have to clean up after them, feed them, or pay their vet bills. It's a win-win situation for us and the pet owners - they get to have a pet they love and we get to enjoy their pet for a few moments without any responsibility for them.

BTW, we have a beautiful grand dog and grand cat that we occasionally care for when our daughter is out of town.

In regard to the original post, very few times have we experienced noisy dogs in campgrounds without owners getting on the situation quickly. While at our FL campground we notice that on occasion there are some nasty sounding dog-on-dog interactions. And of course there's the lazy dog owners that "forget" to pick up after their dogs.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't run into much barking, but people 'walking' their dogs off-leash, or sending the dog out with a human too small to control the leashed dog, are frequently a problem.

My cat uses his discretion. The first few days in a park, he only wants to go out after dark, after the dogs are all in for the night.

After he learns the habits of the various dogs and owners, he starts going out in between walkies times. If we stay long enough in one park, he starts staying out all day, just hopping into the rig when particular dogs come out.

I don't ever leave him outside without me.

Some parks, in the evening, cat and I take turns getting up every 5 minutes to see if the off leash pitbulls have been taken inside yet, so he can go out.

What kitty really likes is boondocking! No dogs, and a lot of rodents :B.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

dr3x
Explorer
Explorer
Corky,
I hear you load and clear about the internet vest. Please do us with trained and tested every year or two for proper public licensing a favor if you think it is a fake service dog then report it. We travel with 2 dogs a little yapper who is always with us but not outside or in public places. The other dog is a licensed Service Dog who performs many tasks for me 42 or more and is by side 24 / 7 so I do worry about those that aren't trained licensed because they will only cause those of us with the need to be punished. We also value both dogs and obey to rules everywhere.:)
also see many "service dogs" in their internet vests in grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.also see many "service dogs" in their internet vests in grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc.
Mel Parks
Killbuck,Oh

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eleven seasons, hundreds of CGs, something like 1800 nights on the road & only a few incidents of unattended barking dogs in CGs. Pretty good I think.

Cats don't seem to care about anything. Seen plenty laying on a dashboard watching the world go by with their feline indifference.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience with loud music and obnoxious neighbors usually comes during holiday weekends. We learned early and avoid those periods.
I've been surrounded by loose dogs on several occasions while walking our dog (on a leash). Barking, running, snarling, encircling us. Then the owner comes out, usually shirtless, barefoot, beer in hand, talking to them like they understand english. I don't suffer fools and it seems they don't disperse much in the way of courtesy or respect, so it is off to the ranger station we go.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
mz-s wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
We've been camping for over 32 years. Tents, a pop-up, and 2 hybrid trailers. We've boondocked, stayed in state parks, rustic RV parks, fancy RV parks, and COEs. it's pretty rare to encounter out of control barking dogs. Campers with dog are generally pretty respectful and also really like it when you ask about their dogs.

It's far more common to hear someone else's music blaring because they want everyone to know what genre they like. It's far more common for the guy with the F350 to think it's a good idea to start his diesel at 4 am and let it run for an hour. It's far more common for the neighbor's kids to be out of control and running through your campsite dumping your chairs over and pulling your plug out of the pedestal.

Corky12 wrote:
I will never understand the American people's fascination with dogs

:h Umm, how is this just an American fascination?

Sounds like I should worry less about the dog and more about the other end of the leash! LOL

Bingo!

We have come across some occasional yapping dogs but nothing over the top or where it has affected our enjoyment camping.

What has affected our enjoyment camping? you guessed it. Inconsiderate People!!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
StephJohn2010 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Almost everyone that RVs has a dog. It's less of a problem than imagined because if more than 5% disregarded the rules, it would be chaos.

On our 6 month trip, Bubba the mini-schnau was starting to fail. We set the tablet to record and we figured out that he barked when we went away. He had a lot of separation anxiety so we just took him with us everywhere we went. If we could leave him in the car while we had dinner he was fine. If it was too hot, we just stayed home or hit a drive-through. A lot of places had outside seating so we just brought him into the restaurant.

The good news is if you run into a bad dog owner, you can just move.

This "you can just move" is a false narrative, please stop saying it. If you booked a month and you are in a popular park that gets sold out 12 months out, you can not just move.

So true. However. You may not be able to move. But a couple of calls to the Campground office will often get the inconsiderate dog owner moved. OUT of the CG.

Not the case this time. The Oasis Rv Resort in Las Vegas used to do this, but it is not the case anymore. Maybe new owners or something.
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
StephJohn2010 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
Almost everyone that RVs has a dog. It's less of a problem than imagined because if more than 5% disregarded the rules, it would be chaos.

On our 6 month trip, Bubba the mini-schnau was starting to fail. We set the tablet to record and we figured out that he barked when we went away. He had a lot of separation anxiety so we just took him with us everywhere we went. If we could leave him in the car while we had dinner he was fine. If it was too hot, we just stayed home or hit a drive-through. A lot of places had outside seating so we just brought him into the restaurant.

This "you can just move" is a false narrative, please stop saying it. If you booked a month and you are in a popular park that gets sold out 12 months out, you can not just move.

So true. However. You may not be able to move. But a couple of calls to the Campground office will often get the inconsiderate dog owner moved. OUT of the CG.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
You're just shocked this hasn't turned into a flaming war.
(So am I).
I am.

It could go POOF at any time.
I wonder what all these sensitive people do at home? You can't walk through any neighborhood and not see dogs loose dog poop or not hear dogs barking. Yet they want a totally perfect experience when they go camping. No dogs barking, birds singing (but not to loud or during quiet time) people talking in hushed tones, NO veieacal noise what so ever. Just saying....:S
Bill

VEIEACAL IS NOT A WORD IN THE DICTIONARY:)

Tell that to spell check.;)
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Expyinflight wrote:
Getting two dachshunds calmed down before you go camping again????

Let us know how that works out for you. LOL

As the owners of two dachshunds for a few years, I can tell you.....it ain't gonna happen. 😄

Ok.. you REALLY made me laugh on that one I suppose you have to be a dashound owner to understand your comment. Thanks for the absolute laugh

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
VEIEACAL IS NOT A WORD IN THE DICTIONARY:)
That's a lot of vowels.
StephJohn2010 wrote:
x2. You may be able to move to a different space.. maybe.. but getting any money back? Forget about that.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Corky12 wrote:
I do not think I have ever been on a hiking trail that did not include dog poop or been in a campground that did not have at least one dog running loose and/or barking. You will also see many "service dogs" in their internet vests in grocery stores, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc. I will never understand the American people's fascination with dogs

?? really? What land do you come from that does not have pets?
I believe in North Korea dog owners are considered farmers. If they have more than one dog, they are considered ranchers. Eating a hotdog there is really eating a hot dog.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
StephJohn2010 wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

Well, I guess it depends on how much it bothers you. If I'm annoyed with inconsiderate neighbors and it's making my life miserable doing an activity that's supposed to make me happy, I'm leaving. I'll try to get something back from the CG, but if not, I'm not going to let a few bucks stops me from being happy.

IMO, it's foolhardy to PAY MONEY TO BE MISERABLE.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox