cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know what to do?

markjschuttler_
Explorer
Explorer
I am debating to use a F250 or a F350 truck for my 5th wheel that we will be buying soon. I need help on figuring if the weight will be good for ether one. I have the weight of the 5th wheel but there is a difference in what each kind of f250 and f350 with size of engine and size of cab, and bed. I have looked at the towing guide for the F series and still not sure what to do. Who can give me the best advice?

I have a friend that really wants for me to buy his F250, and I am not sure if it would handle the weight of my 5th wheel. Again what can I do.

The truck is 2010 SD F250 4x4 6.4L V-8 Diesel 5speed Automatic 3.55 ratio. I looked up the Fifth wheel towing and it shows for a 250 6.4L TD that it can tow up to 15,300. The fifth wheel I am getting is a Gateway, GVWR 14.000. Now with that info, what should I do.
27 REPLIES 27

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
X2 A bigger truck can pull a smaller trailer a lot easier than a smaller truck can pull a bigger trailer!
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Go with a 350. Nobody complains about having too much truck.

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
BulldawgFan wrote:
Steer clear of the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engine. Do some research, trust me.

As a 6.0 owner, I'd agree... Unless you are "into it" and want to mod and maintain religiously, I'd avoid these motors/series of f250s. For more info, www.powerstroke.org. If money is no object then a new 6.7 or a Duramax with a warranty is a better choice.

Of course, everythine on the market has it's list of issues (Duramax transmission mounts, Dodge transmissions), so there is "peril" everywhere...

That being said: The 6.0 is a great truck if taken care of, and if you can get one cheap, you can do all the upgrades and still have something that is 1/3 the cost of a new one.

To the OP: I'd actually suggest letting the choice of tow vehicle drive the trailer choice - get the truck 1st, THEN decide on a trailer. Good luck, and remember the most important thing: have fun, it's camping!
2003 Ford F250 Powerstroke (yes, a 6.0 🙂 )
2008 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I looked last at the ratings of the 250 vs the 350, I actually found that sometimes the 250 has more capacity and sometimes the 350 only gives you 100 lbs more. It all depends on what "package" you get. Got the Trailer Life 2015 tow book right in front of me now. Can't figure it out.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
Steer clear of the 6.0 and 6.4 diesel engine. Do some research, trust me.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
If the F250 was a gasser, you might have enough payload available. But like most the other replies, I believe you need the F350.

You'll still have to watch out for how optioned out an F350 is, I've seen (a very pretty) one on the dealer's floor that was barely over 2,100 lbs of payload.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If you're buying used, skip the 6.4 and look for a 6.7 diesel unless you're saving enough $ to make it worth having the big brother to the 6.0 N0. Enough reasons out there to not make this mistake unless it's worth it $$$$.
No brand wars here, lol.
Regarding 250 vs 350? Imo if you're sticking with a srw truck, used, find the best deal on a truck based on miles, condition, price and if it happens to be a 250 then you may need to add airbags or overload springs, etc. consider it an added cost to the 250 but when looking used you need to find the best vehicle overall, not necessarily the prefect vehicle at one thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
The F250 may have two disadvantages--the 3.55 rear end and the 4x4. Neither are wanted for just towing.

If buying new, I'd definitely get the F350, bigger truck with more functionality, better resale value, about the same price as F250.

I have an F250 4x4 and it is a great truck. It wouldn't be my pick for a fifth wheel hauler.

I'll add a third disadvantage. It has the 6.4 in it. THIRSTY....
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Pin weight is about 20% of the trailer weight. Add to this the weight of the hitch, passengers, and anything else you will be putting in the truck. With a trailer the size you stated you are definitely in the 1 ton truck size. While you can get by with a single rear wheel, a dually will give you a much more stable platform. With a dually you will not notice cross or head winds, and you will not feel a push when a semi passes you.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The F250 may have two disadvantages--the 3.55 rear end and the 4x4. Neither are wanted for just towing.

If buying new, I'd definitely get the F350, bigger truck with more functionality, better resale value, about the same price as F250.

I have an F250 4x4 and it is a great truck. It wouldn't be my pick for a fifth wheel hauler.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Ball parking some numbers a 3/4 or 1 ton diesels will weight 7,500 to 8,000# loaded with fuel, hitch and family. When you open the driver's door there is a sticker which will list the GVWR for that truck. The F250 will be about 10,000# GVWR so (10,000 - 8,000 - 2,000) you'll be able to carry a 2,000# pin (hitch) weight. Average pin is 20% of loaded trailer weight so a 10,000# trailer.

The trailer you listed is 14,000# GVWR or a 2,800# pin weight (ball park) so you need a truck with a GVWR of 11,000# or higher. That means you are looking at a F350 and a dually might be the better option. Age and spec's effects the ratings, so just open the door and look. Leave yourself a little wiggle room with the numbers.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
sorry , but I think the 3/4 would be a little light. but for me it would be perfect. how much does he want. I am in CA, but what a great trip it would be.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dry weight means nothing, it will never be dry again. GVWR is TOTAL maximum weight. If you fill the tanks that is part of your carrying capacity.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

markjschuttler_
Explorer
Explorer
I will need to look at what you wrote. I will need to do my homework. I am leaning more towards the 350 Dully.... Thanks for the info.