cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting rid of campfire smoke odor

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer
On our last outing we were enjoying a campfire which was located approximately 20’ from our trailer. Unfortunately the wind continuously shifted and, at times, blew the smoke directly at our FW.

Most unfortunately of all was the fact I had the Fantastic Fan running in the living room and the vent open in the bedroom... pulled quite a bit of that smoke right into the trailer... enough so that the smoke detector began wailing in protest.

We drove home (approximately 1,000 miles) with all the roof vents open to ventilate the trailer... it helped a bit but there’s still a noticeable smoke smell.

We can’t let the trailer sit with all the windows/vents open as we live in a rather windy and dusty environment.

Is there a method or product for removing campfire smoke odors from out FW?

Edit: I did a search here—all the search returned was for mitigating cigarette/cigar smoke... I imagine our three hours of campfire smoke would be different than 6 years of cigarette lounges... no?
2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic
30 REPLIES 30

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Be sure to read up on ozone generators before spending good money. Apparently ozone is not necessarily an RVers friend if you want to purge an enclosure where people will occupy it. Just sayin'.

X2 Ozone is a very strong oxidizer. Overexposure to ozone can corrode metal and make some plastics brittle.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the other hand. I love the way a camper smells when it smells like a campfire. I thought that was how they are supposed to smell. I am always disappointed when the smell fades away.

It is the biggest reason I camp. They won't let me have a fire at the motel
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Songbirds
Explorer
Explorer
what about the following suggestion, Air Out, wash what you can and Tough Odor Matchup The following may be helping a bowl of Vinegar as it airs out. Neutralize Skunk Odors This may be helpful showing 8-tips for removing Odors.Removing Odors from RV

Works for us or should I say, my wife as I'm just walking odor, but she loves me. Stink and all.
2021 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van, showing six tires down, 3400XD, V6, 7-Speed Automatic 24FL, 170-WB, 24'-3", Coachmen Galleria w/Li3, "Next ROAD TRIP" to where?

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
A product I use for odors (such as pet odors) is Odo Kill or Odo Kleen (the latter has disinfectant added). Usually soldthru pet stores. I have found that if you can get the OdoKill spray on it, it works.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to read up on ozone generators before spending good money. Apparently ozone is not necessarily an RVers friend if you want to purge an enclosure where people will occupy it. Just sayin'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Never even heard of an ozone generator. Could have used one over the years!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
KnowNuthin wrote:
Thanks for the replies... are these “permanent” fixes or something I would need to repeat on occasion?

...I guess what I’m really asking is: Did I taint my trailer for good?!?

After using my Ozone Generator for 4-8 hours it stayed clean and clear of odors,until It happened again :S then I did the same thing and again clean and odor free....still that way after 5 years.

Now I know how to clean it up if it happens again.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
KnowNuthin wrote:
Thanks for the replies... are these “permanent” fixes or something I would need to repeat on occasion?

I've smoked out many trailers over the years. It will eventually air itself out. Don't sweat the small stuff. Its going to get smoked again anyway unless you stay away from campgrounds.

KnowNuthin
Explorer
Explorer

2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Just think how you would feel if the smoke was from an adjacent site!

Just think how you would feel if you booked a campsite at a campground with the knowledge they permit campfires and have fire rings, and someone actually used them. How dare they?

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Google "air sponge"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just think how you would feel if the smoke was from an adjacent site!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dukecity426
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound all too easy,but take a bowl, and fill it with fresh coffee grounds, and leave it in the coach as long as possible. We had a similar problem with a car that we bought. The person that owned it before us was a cigarette smoker, put a bowl of fresh coffee grounds on the floor in front of the back seat, and in about a week no more smell. Hope this helps.
2004 GMC 4X4 D/A CC SB, "Juice/Attitude", 4" SS Exhaust, AFE intake, 2018 Reflection 29RS, two AC's, Reese 16K Slider, Bilstein shocks, 2 Honda EU 2000i generators.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used my Ozone Generator to remove smoke smell in the RV,They can be rented in your area most likely.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My favorite smell in the world.
I became a forester so I could be around it more.